Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Knowing several Portuguese water dogs personally I have to admit they would be my second choice to a Golden.......

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I was just about to post about this and saw it was already posted! I don't know anything about PWD's as a breed, but I am kind of glad they aren't going with a doodle.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
On the news tonight they said the PWG was Michelle's choice but there are four other people (hubby,kids & mom) still have to weigh in on what they want. So nothing had been decided. I saw the article on People and it said

And what kind of dog will soon be frolicking on the South Lawn? Mrs. Obama says she thinks she is going to look for a rescue Portuguese Water dog who is "old enough" and a "match" for the family dynamic.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20261257,00.html

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I absolutely support rescue, but that doesn't always work out for everyone. The way I look at it, if you do buy from a responsible breeder and take care of and love that dog, then that's one more dog that stays OUT of rescue. I've met a therapy PWD and he was wonderful. Beautiful dogs.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
They're stubborn and very active and require extensive grooming- I'd never want one- but they're sweet, smart, and good with kids.

Good for them!

I don't personally mind if it's a rescue or not. I have two show bred Whippets I bought as puppies. Does that make me evil? I don't think so :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Considering all of America knows what they are looking for now, I imagine the rescues that do have a PWD will write in and tell the Obamas what they have available. The Obamas are no longer just a regular family, they've become the famous "first family". Should there be a dog available in rescue somewhere in the States, they'll probably be the first to know about it.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
If I had young kids, I don't know if I would get a rescue for their first dog and I don't see anything wrong with them buying a puppy. Hopefully that pup will come from a good breeder though. I bet there will be lots of cute pics!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts