Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oaklys Dad passed away yesterday, he had been a member of the Forum since December 2005.

Many of you may remember his dogs Oakly and Caue, he shared so many beautiful pictures of them enjoying life in Maine.

Godspeed Robert

·
Administrator
16,446 Posts
Robert was a very active moderator and was one of the quickest at getting to what the moderators called "registration checks". And his five years as a moderator he was so fast and caught so many it seemed like a winning victory if another moderator was able to catch one before him. There's no denying he loved his goldens and posted many pictures stories on this forum.

·
3 goldens
11,673 Posts
I was shocked to see the post by his sister yesterday. Rob and I joined GRF just a couple of months apart. If I remember right, Caue was transported to Rob thru several states. It was so long ago I have forgotten the details, but it seems Caue had to be rehomed fro some reason and Rob jumpy at the chance to get him. He was such a loving golden dad and I believe a very good man. He will be sorely missed in the golden community. God's speed Robert, as you join your dogs who have gone before you.

·
Super Moderator
16,917 Posts
I was so very sorry to read this earlier. When I first joined the GRF Mod Team a few years ago he was so very welcoming and kind to me, I always appreciated his help then and thereafter. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time x

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Rob was a very dear friend of ours for many years and I am beyond devastated. He was almost like a big brother to me. I was in tears last night when I heard the news. Rob was the sweetest, kindest, most generous man you would ever meet. He would give you the shirt off his back if it was the last shirt he had. We first met here on GRF way back in 2008 when my husband and I got our first Golden, Tucker (who we sadly lost to hemangiosarcoma this past January). Rob was one of the very first people to welcome us to the forum and we immediately realized that we lived just under 2 hours from each other and we became great friends. My husband and I would frequently get together with Rob for Golden play dates whenever he was in our area. I remember one time about 9 or 10 years ago when he got stuck with jury duty where we live and we would get together every afternoon for a week so that Oakly and Caue could stretch their legs and play with our boys after being cooped up all day while Rob was doing his civic duty. Then, there was the time he drove 2 hours to come help us install new flooring in our house and he refused to let us pay him (believe me, we tried!). He spent the entire day here until late at night helping us and we had so much fun talking about our dogs and just life in general. Oakly and Caue came and played with our dogs while we installed the flooring. He even stopped by with a little care package when my husband had heart surgery 4 years ago. It was the SWEETEST thing ever. It absolutely broke my heart when he lost both Oakly and Caue within the same year, but I was ecstatic for him when he got his new puppy, Teke, last year. He was so in love with that puppy and it made my heart melt to see him so happy again. Anyone who knew Rob and was able to call him a friend is extremely fortunate. There are not many like him.

RIP, Rob. I will miss you so much, my friend. Hug Oakly, Caue, and Tucker for me.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
So sad, he was one of the best. Prayers to his family.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I was shocked to see the post by his sister yesterday. Rob and I joined GRF just a couple of months apart. If I remember right, Caue was transported to Rob thru several states. It was so long ago I have forgotten the details, but it seems Caue had to be rehomed fro some reason and Rob jumpy at the chance to get him. He was such a loving golden dad and I believe a very good man. He will be sorely missed in the golden community. God's speed Robert, as you join your dogs who have gone before you.
Yes, Caue came from New York. His original dad didn't have enough time for him due to his hectic work schedule, so he came on here one night trying to find a home for him and Rob jumped at the chance to adopt him. I believe Caue was only about a year old at the time. With the help of many members of this forum, Caue was safely and successfully transported from New York to Maine. It was amazing how this forum came together to make this happen for Rob. Sadly, both Oakly and Caue passed away last year within months of each other. Rob then got a new little boy puppy, Teke, last fall, who just turned a year old in September. He was head over heels in love with that boy and he was talking about getting a second one fairly soon as he missed having two. I'm not sure who will be taking Teke, but I'm guessing Rob's sister, Pat. She is also a dog lover and raises guide dog puppies. Very sad, tragic situation. Rob was much too young and he will be missed by so many. :crying:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
The kind words spoken about Okaley's Dad by so many aren't surprising. His kind heart and even tempered responses were a constant here for many years. I hope somehow he knows how many people he touched. My heart goes out to his family and friends on the loss of such a good man.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I must admit, I'm a bit shocked to see that "Rule 14" applies to a post that is honoring the memory of a nearly 15-year member of this forum who dedicated MANY hours as a moderator, offering advice to anyone in need, or kind words to whomever needed them. This was not a solicitation in any, way, shape, or form. It is a way to remember a wonderful man who made this forum a wonderful place to be and who many of us were lucky enough to call a friend. If that's not allowed, then I guess I don't need to be here......

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I must admit, I'm a bit shocked to see that "Rule 14" applies to a post that is honoring the memory of a nearly 15-year member of this forum who dedicated MANY hours as a moderator, offering advice to anyone in need, or kind words to whomever needed them. This was not a solicitation in any, way, shape, or form. It is a way to remember a wonderful man who made this forum a wonderful place to be and who many of us were lucky enough to call a friend......
I wish I could love this post a hundred times.

·
3 goldens
11,673 Posts
I must admit, I'm a bit shocked to see that "Rule 14" applies to a post that is honoring the memory of a nearly 15-year member of this forum who dedicated MANY hours as a moderator, offering advice to anyone in need, or kind words to whomever needed them. This was not a solicitation in any, way, shape, or form. It is a way to remember a wonderful man who made this forum a wonderful place to be and who many of us were lucky enough to call a friend. If that's not allowed, then I guess I don't need to be here......
I have no idea what rule 14 (or any other rule actually is), but I HOPE it doesn't mean we can not honor this wonderful man who did so very much for this forum. We have lost to many long time members (many due to rules they think are not right) and I woudl hate to lose more over sometime so uncalled for. Rob needs to be honored, he deserves to be honorded.

·
where the tails wag
13,329 Posts
This is sad news. He was a wonderful man and so active on this forum, sharing both his passion for and love of our goldens.

Deepest condolences to his family and loved ones, he will be missed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts