Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband doesn't want Duffy up on the couch....and I do. I rather like when he cuddles next to me. Hubby freaks out when he sees the dog on the furniture and tells him NO, and shoves him off :-(

But when hubby is away, I let Duffy sit next to me; also hubby goes to bed rather early and I have the entire evening to enjoy Duffy sitting by me since I stay up quite late.

Is this bad of me? I'm not talking about the sneaking behind hubby's back! I'm talking about confusing the pup -- is it ok to be up there or not ok?

If you think its bad for him, I won't let him up anymore!

Thanks for your opinions!

Kris

ps - no use in trying to convince hubby, already tried that!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Well, it's kinda unfair to the dog.... unfair b/c when he tries the behavior that's okay *sometimes*, but does so in front of the wrong person, he gets in trouble.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Well, it's kinda unfair to the dog.... unfair b/c when he tries the behavior that's okay *sometimes*, but does so in front of the wrong person, he gets in trouble.

On the other hand, I think sometimes dogs can learn over time what situations its ok and when it's not.. like dogs that learn that getting on the couch in the family room is ok, but not the couch in the formal living room.

My dog growing up knew he wasn't allowed on the couch if the parents were there, but when it was just us kids, he'd always get up and sit with us.

Although I do see your point and see how it could be pretty confusing to a dog, especially if its new to them.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I think it may be confusing for Duffy. One time it's OK, then the next your DH tells him NO and shoves him off. Maybe your DH will compromise and allow Duffy on a certain couch or chair and you can sit there with Duffy when you want to cuddle.

We don't allow the dogs on the furniture so I've always cuddled on the floor with them.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
How about teaching him that he is only allowed to come up when invited? it will come in handy when you have guests over (and when your husband is home ;))

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what we do with Milly and it works GRRRRREAT!!!
So you don't think that would be confusing for him? I want to do what's best for him, although, selfishly I do love to have him next to me.

How would I train him this way without making him scratch his head and say "whaaaa??"

Kris

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I had my lab, we taught him that he could only go on the couch on his blanket. If people came over and we didn't want him on the couch, we could just take the blanket off. It also cut down on the amount of fur on the couch. If my cousin's wife only knew what the lovely golden blanket she sent was being used for....

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
How about teaching him that he is only allowed to come up when invited? it will come in handy when you have guests over (and when your husband is home ;))
That can work. I find it works best when you first establish that they aren't allowed on the couch at all as young dogs. Then later, start the invite only policy. I did that with Quiz. For the first 2 years he wasn't allowed on the couch. Now he is by invite only.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know many people on here have taught their dogs that they are allowed on the couch/bed when invited. That would be perfect for Duffy. Mine are allowed on the furniture. I wouldn't make my kids, if I had any, sit on the floor, why would I make my dogs? Although I totally respect people who don't want pets on the furniture. I have indestructible leather that can be vacuumed in a heartbeat, so it doesn't bother me. And I like to cuddle with them.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I would just train the dog to get on the sofa on command. Out of respect for your husband, consider getting a blanket to sit on with him when you cuddle. It's your house, but it's his too. During my first marriage, the minute my ex hubby started his car to back out of the drive way in the morning, all the dogs would leap out of their beds and into bed with me ;)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
We just started letting the dogs on the basement furniture. We have 2 leather couches and they are allowed on one but not the other. So far, they seem to understand and haven't tried to go on the "good" one. Might be different though if we weren't looking!!

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Oh, goodness. I don't think you'r bad at all. I love to cuddle my Hudson too. I agree with teaching your pup to come up when invited. It's a good compromise and no confusion. Two birds-one stone :)

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
My husband doesn't want Duffy up on the couch....and I do. I rather like when he cuddles next to me. Hubby freaks out when he sees the dog on the furniture and tells him NO, and shoves him off :-(

But when hubby is away, I let Duffy sit next to me; also hubby goes to bed rather early and I have the entire evening to enjoy Duffy sitting by me since I stay up quite late.

Is this bad of me? I'm not talking about the sneaking behind hubby's back! I'm talking about confusing the pup -- is it ok to be up there or not ok?

If you think its bad for him, I won't let him up anymore!

Thanks for your opinions!

Kris

ps - no use in trying to convince hubby, already tried that!
You'd better get on the same page before you have any non-fur-babies. Compromise is everything. ;) I think hubby is jealous! :p:

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I think you need to have a serious sit-down talk with your husband and tell him this is really important to you, whether he understands it or not, it just is. And then ask him how the two of you can work this out so that you're both happy.

I personally would have no discipline when it comes to this :p: I started off thinking Daisy would not be allowed on the couch ... that lasted about 3 days LOL

Compromise, yes, but in your favor ;)

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
We have "up" and "off" and both commands are well heeded.

Of course unless we are gone. I see that imprint on the bed, you little hoodlums. :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
If your husband refuses to give in, then maybe you can sit on the floor with him. Get two big dog beds and use those to get comfy with him. I cant give you any advice as three of mine are all the couch right now and I am on the loveseat.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You'd better get on the same page before you have any non-fur-babies. Compromise is everything. ;) I think hubby is jealous! :p:
LOL! Too late, we already have FOUR non-furbabies. So your comment made me laugh -- a day late, a dollar short :)

Jealous? Hmmm....you might have something there. After 24 years of marriage, I have learned this: dogs are MUCH cuddlier than humans.

Kris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts