Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, made my first mistake as the guardian of a 9 weeks puppy Cody.

I was looking around Petco and found the Nylabone NutriDent dental chews. The box says for dogs up to 15 pounds. Of course, ignorant me, I did not realize that it meant dogs (and not puppies).

So, I gave Cody one. I was supervising him and saw him chew it into small pieces before eating it. It was only after that when I realize that I may better check Nylabone's website. It was then that I realized the material may not be compatible with his new digestive system.

If anyone has made a similar mistake as I, could you please advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Chances are it will pass. Puppy teeth are tiny so unlike a larger dog who would pulverize the bone into good sized chunks your guy probably turned the bone into smaller ones.

Watch Cody for signs of indigestion; but these bones are not sharp or toxic. Hopefully the worst will be lots of soft stools for a while.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we had a bone for moose and he never bothered with it for about 2 months.. then once day he destroyed it and ate it. but he just passed it. we didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I do not like any of these dental chews. Give your dog a nice hard non splintering beef bone or an elk antler. The chews can cause blockage- most vets are against them also.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after a day of worrying, all Cody did was one big dump. He is fine.
Thank you everyone for your advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts