Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But man do I love her!
Duke my old purebred Golden seemed SO much easier to deal with! Yes he whined more at night but he seemed to learn quicker. But I guess he did spend more time outside since the husband at the time wouldn't let me keep him inside much when he was home...

Nyla is constantly inside. Only outside when I let her and Hayden out to potty. Recently i've let them both stay out for about an hour max. Eventually I want to trust them outside longer so I can get some freakin' sleep! (I work nights..)

She's about 9 weeks now? She can go all night (11-7) without going potty or waking up (She stays in my room without crating or anything. she likes to sleep with hayden or on my glass tv stand)
During the day I let them out a million times. She STILL pees on the carpet. I normally catch her right as she squats but she's quick! lol I just tell her no and hurry her outside.
The other day she went to the door and I got all excited told her good girl and let her out.
Theenn she peed on the carpet not 5 min later. :doh:
She also went to the front door and right away peed there... hmm.. at least that's wood flooring there......

I say she's like my boyfriend. Pee's so freakin' much it's insane!! At least she doesn't poop inside anymore. Although that is MUCH easier to clean up! My poor brand new carpet cleaner machine thing isn't going to last long.... I use it just about every other day. Not sure it's too great on the carpet either.. but so far it's the only thing i've found that works.

ALSO - she doesn't listen to me or Hayden when she's in play mode! She's noisy when playing! Barks... growls.. makes really odd noises.. And just jumps all over Hayden. Hayden sometimes goes with it but other times isn't too happy about it what so ever!! But it doesn't stop her! I tell her to hush and it doesn't phase her!
Yet when I yell at her for clobbering the cats she will hop off and wait until I turn my head lol

I need a vacation from my pets! lol

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
My little GSD foster pup took ages to house-train. Eventually, I suspected she had a UTI and sure enough, she did. Once the pills cleared it up it got a little better but still took close to 3-4 weeks for her to 'get it'.

She eventually had a breakthrough when I moved her crate upstairs by the back door. After she peed outside - on her own - we played inside for 15 minutes then she got crated with a bully stick. 45 minutes later, I let her outside and told her 'go pee', then rewarded with 3 tiny cookies. Play for 15 minutes, then back in the crate for 45. Back outside and when she peed, 3 tiny cookies and lots of praise. I did that for three full days and by the fourth day, she got it. The cookies and routine definitely helped. If I put her outside and she didn't pee right away when I said, "go pee" she went back in the crate for 5 minutes and then we tried again.

Before, I'd never let her out of my sight but she'd stop in the middle of playing and pee! There was no warning. One minute she'd be chasing Ranger and the next she was squatting on the floor. I could interrupt her mid-pee and take her outside to finish and then praise, but the crate trick really worked because it never gave her a chance to pee in the house.

Also, I wouldn't tell her no at this point. She doesn't know not to pee in the house yet so telling her no and scolding her will just confuse her. She might turn into a pee-hider, like walk off to pee somewhere you won't see. If she pees inside, don't scold her, but pick her up and put her outside and praise and give her a cookie or two. She'll eventually figure out that pee outside = praise and cookies but pee inside = nothing.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
At 9 weeks, they have poor bladder control. We found that letting Darby out every 15 minutes or so worked great. They always mange to squeak a little bit out anyhow, and we always praised her for every potty. She is 11 weeks now and stands by the door to go outside. It seems the more familiar they are with the association with play and potty happening outdoors, they make a quick connection. It really was a pain in the butt doing it every 15 minutes but it's worked out great. Good luck and be vigilant and patient.:p:

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She probably goes out about every 15 min. If I see her sniffing around she goes out.. if she wakes up from a nap - no matter how long it was she goes out - 5 min or so after she drinks/eats she goes out.

BUT i'm not giving treats for going outside. I'll pick some up on the way home and try this. Guess Hayden will sit or something for hers lol

UTI - Wouldn't the urine be dark in color? Normally hers is light yellow (can see when she pees on the linoleum in the kitchen.)

·
New to Golden Land :)
55 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 12 week old boy...he squats like whenever. I have noticed since I started not letting him have free reign to water it is much easier to get ahold of the accidents. But we have to let him out every 15-20 minutes too....so it seems like he is always going potty :) I work during the day so he is in his kennel sometimes from 7-5 (I know this is a long time for a pup) but I have no other choices...most days I get home on my lunch to let him out...but today I didn't. So the peeing in the kennel is still going on...obviously. That will get better over time --- just be patient and remember that she is learning!! Treats are a good way to get them to click with the potty outside, but make sure its a high value treat (cooked chicken, or hotdogs) and she will learn :)

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
You need to be going out with her, encourage her to "go potty" and praising and giving treats when she does potty. Try to determine the length of time between pottying and take her out before she needs to go again.

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 12 week old boy...he squats like whenever. I have noticed since I started not letting him have free reign to water it is much easier to get ahold of the accidents. But we have to let him out every 15-20 minutes too....so it seems like he is always going potty :) I work during the day so he is in his kennel sometimes from 7-5 (I know this is a long time for a pup) but I have no other choices...most days I get home on my lunch to let him out...but today I didn't. So the peeing in the kennel is still going on...obviously. That will get better over time --- just be patient and remember that she is learning!! Treats are a good way to get them to click with the potty outside, but make sure its a high value treat (cooked chicken, or hotdogs) and she will learn :)
Please find someone to come in and take your puppy out to potty during the day, leaving him 7 - 5 is so bad for him.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I'm a bad momma but I let her and hayden stay outside longer than expected ... yesterday. I was so tired and they wouldn't stop running around and playing so I let them out and took a "nap". I haven't slept well what - so - ever! Until then.. lol slept from 9am-3:30pm! Oops!

I let them in and they were at it again :doh: What did they do - just nap the entire time they were outside?! lol It was VERY nice outside though! And they wanted to go back outside shortly after so i'm guessing they didn't mind! (I work nights btw and worked a 13.5 hour shift the other night).

But hey no messes!
Well.. other than the bathroom since I decided to let her stay in there while at work.. since it's a massive area ... really bad idea... She opened the shower door (slides) which I have to admit i'm slightly impressed about... but shredded my boyfriend's loofa (hah) and knocked everything down.. Chewed on my towel a little.. AND just about ripped off the molding around the door (double wide so it's not like it's thick or even on there well. Thankfully i've been slowly replacing these anyways) AND I tossed some of my dirty clothing that didn't make it to the laundry basket in time for wash into the garden tub thinking she couldn't get int there.... yea.. apparently that was her bed... She was in there when I walked in. lol
:yuck:

Lesson learned! lol When you think you puppy proof.. think again!!!
No potty messes! :D

Now to install a mute button on her....

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
When I have a puppy I use a puppy pen or crate when I can't be watching him/her. The puppy pen is in the livingroom with us. It's similar to doing the crate by the back door. I like the puppy pen for when one of us isn't going to be home and the puppy will be alone at home for up to three or four hours.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well today I let them in and clean their paws after running/peeing in the mud... didn't notice the mud on nyla's belly, but it's ok the couch got that off for her......... She just flopped down and cuddled with the cushons for a nap. I had to go to work but couldn't bring myself to remove her from her cute and comfy position. I put down 3 pee pads in the area.. closed all doors to rooms other that where the litter box is and left.
As i'm driving to work i'm thinking wow i'm so going to regret this.. what in the WORLD am I thinking?!?!?! I just hope Hayden guides her to being a good girl? lol Hayden is my angel! (now.. not so much when I first got her).
Only thing she can eat are some old shoes... forgot to hide the remote too!! ack! hope she doesn't eat the cats as well.. Maybe they'll finally smack her with claws out so she'll learn kitties hurt?

:( really wish I could take back that decision lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts