Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure that I am in the correct thread. Here are the circumstances. I am getting a 3 year old female golden who has been on a raw diet. Having a new home is so stressful for a pup .......so I will keep her on the raw diet initially, but I want to eventually start to wean her. I want to wean her slowly to a grain free kibble. I appreciate the benefits of the raw diet and commend her previous owner for her commitment to this diet. I do not think I can do it.

Looking for any thoughts, comments, suggestions on approaching this weaning and info on the non grain dog kibble. I have done some research and like everything, there is so much info out there.
I may also start a 9 year old golden on the grain free food as well. Any thoughts there?

Thank you....... appreciate your expertise.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,902 Posts
Read up on the grain free diets and the diet mediated dilated cardiomyopathy or DCM. Grain free food, while not all causing issues and there is nothing definitive yet is linked to the DCM issue. Grain free food is generally advised against as of now.

You don't have to make your own raw diet. I feed a commercially prepared raw diet from Nature's Variety most of the time, the rest of the time I feed their Be Natural line of kibble (grain inclusive). They free the food in 4oz patties for easy portions, just pull 2 or 3 parties a meal. Easy and most assured way to feed a balanced raw diet.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
The GrainFree foods are very appealing to people but they are implicated in DCM cases in dogs, so probably finding a kibble that includes grain would be a better idea. I fed raw for many decades and only went to a kibble after I began caring for my nearly 90YO father- it was a pretty easy way to feed but certainly not as easy as kibble lol.. premade for multiple Goldens would be pretty expensive but if you wanted to study up on balancing a dog's diet, it's not super hard to make yourself if you have a freezer and devote a day a month to it. IF you are inclined, that is. It is a study to do, so you'd have to be interested enough to do some research.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I did see the info about DCM, as you said info inconclusive but concerning. Thank you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts