Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Brody (3 year old GR) to visit my sister and her family, and he picked up on of their dog's (1 year old collie, Ginger) canvas toys. He instantly started tearing it apart. My brother in law said to let Brody have it - Ginger didn't play with it anyway. Brody destroyed it in a matter of minutes. "That was a number 8 on the toughness scale," my sister said. "Not on Brody's scale," I siad with a laugh. "He barely rates it a two," I added.

Their now-deceased GR - Nugget - hardly ever ripped her toyes, but Brody is a destroyer. I've tried buying him the hard rubber toys, but if it is not shreddible or edible, he has no interest.

Is there anyway to get them out of destruction mode with stuffed (expensive) toys?

thanks,

Alfred

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Some of our stuffed toys will last for a few days and I think it's just because Summer is toying with them because shortly after, "guts" are everywhere!! (The only thing she chews she hasn't been able to destroy are deer antlers.)

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only answer I have found for this is to stop buying the stuffed and expensive toys. I buy the rope toys. Bailey still likes to try to shred them, but they last a lot longer and they are good for their teeth.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Some pups are destroyers, some are not. Some grow out of it, some never do.
My friend has a golden who is 7 and always has to be supervised with toys. : (

Luckily Selk and Gunner have never been destroyers , even when little so we have a giant basket of stuffed toys.
We did have a destroyer = our beloved Max who could never have a toy. : (
He lived to hunt pheasant though and NEVER chewed one! Amazing!

·
Registered
699 Posts
We were recently on vacation, and left the dogs with my 21 year old son. I got a message on my voice mail one morning, "Mom, I thought those Wubbas were indestructible. Your dogs ate them! Now they have two new balls that they think are the greatest!" Ugh! I guess I forgot to tell him that those Wubbas were only for supervised play.

My dogs will destroy just about anything. I gave up trying a year or so ago.

·
Fergus Roy's dad
217 Posts
Fergus has a small chest that we 1st used to keep his toys in when he was just a puppy. It is now the chest of the destroyed, I don't know why I keep them, they sure remind me not to spend money on stuff that won't last.

It is kind of fun to bring out some of these toys for a minute or two. His old duck, wubba, ugly bunny, etc... He will really treat them gentle when we are there with him but even if we turn around for a second you can hear the destruction.

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
toughness scale

Aside from the descrution of Ginger's toy, I have been trying something different with Brody the past couple of days. He has this stuffed dog that my sister bought him for this birthday last year (and which he is not allowed to destroy). I will let him have it, and as soon as he starts pulling on it to rip it, I tell him to give, and I reward hin with a kibble from his dinner. I'm hoping that he will eventually get the message that he can play with it, but not destroy it.

I just ordered deer antlers for him (and Ginger as well), so he should enjoy chewing on those.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
Faith loves detroying her stuffies. she also plays / continues to kill the "stuffie skin" as i call it for a few days after that.

i've just decided that she loves it and i'll waste money on them for her. i imagine that years from now when she's old and doesn't play with them anymore i'll never wish i had the money back for the stuffies that brought her so much joy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My wife and I are having this very conversation as I speak (or type). In planning for our new pup we are talking about all the things we need to work on to be better parents for the new dog. We were good parents before, but there is always room for improvement.

Anyhow our previous golden was a 5 or 6 on the toughness scale...he took his time tearing toys up, but most toys never lasted long.

Our answer is this: We aren't concerned so much with the type of toy or the destructive behavior that may come with it. But what we insist on in our own home is supervision at all times. If you leave them alone for even 30 seconds, you are opening yourself up to a possibly serious life threatening situation and big bucks lost in a trip to the vet. There are plenty of stories here on the forum to back that up and it can happen to the most responsible owners if they are distracted for even a few moments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stuffies are a no-no for Sammy! He eventually rips it to pieces, and somehow manages to remove the squeaky thing inside them. He does love this red rubber ball from Kong 'cause he can't really tear it up, so that's lasted him a good 3 weeks so far.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I get ours woobies/stuffies just to tear up. LOL However, I'm always supervising...and then cleaning up the mess.

Sometimes the toys will last for weeks....not a rip in them, then all of a sudden, somebody decides it's lived long enough! :lol:

The Goldens are the ultimate stuffie killers......the Newfs will keep the same one for years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Before my pup Maui came along (1/2 GR &1/2 border collie) my labs and lab mixes ( including a border collie/lab) NEVER destroyed a stuffie. Our GR Bri came to us as a 5 year old and never destroyed anything...Maui guts them in a matter of minutes.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Sammy and Barley were always pretty good with stuffies, but would occasionally destroy one. My new pup Mira is a destroyer of toys! We not have every shape nylabone and other non-stuffed toys. At least she tries to chew!

Have you tried toys you can stuff treats in? Busy Buddy has some good ones... I have also heard Planet Dog will replace chewed toys if you mail the chewed up toy back to them... They will send you a new one... But I have not personally tried it

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Stuffed toys don't stand a chance with Tucker. He has gone through so many of the AKC stuffed animal toys in a matter of days. In fact, DH bought him the AKC stuffed raccoon this past weekend and the head is now gone! :doh:

The thing that amazes me is that the one stuffed toy of Tucker's that has outlasted all of the more expensive stuffed toys that he has had is this stuffed red dog with the Milk Bone logo on it that we picked up for a dollar at Walgreen's a few months ago. That cheap toy is still intact and it has taken many beatings!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Most stuffed toys are sacrificed in minutes...I buy them just for them to gut..
However, the dogs have had two particular stuffed snowmen since last APRIL!
Last night Lexi decided 'enough was enough' and gutted it....go figure!

·
Registered
205 Posts
My two girls - 11 mos old will destroy any toy we give them. I have probably spent $300.00 on toys because at first I thought I should get them each one....ha. It doesn't matter, they both want what the other has. I have found the Kong toys to be pretty tough - they sell a tire that looks like a lawn mower tire. I put treats inside that but they get them out quickly and push it aside because they can't destroy it. Don't waste your money on the flying saucer you fill with treats. A $28.00 toy destroyed in 5 minutes. I have found the bones you can buy that are filled with some treat are great. They have had them for seven or eight months and still play with them. After they get a lot of the treat out (cant seem to get the center) I fill the outer with something for them to give incentive for them to play with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts