Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never would have believed that we would be spending Friday night at the emergency vet clinic! Friday afternoon Nugget was happily fetching balls and running on the lawn as playful as can be. A few short hours later (9:00 pm) he started gagging. When he planted himself at our feet and wouldn't move I knew that he was trying to tell us that he was ill.

Luckily we live near a 24/7 vet clinic with an amazing staff that I cannot praise enough. The vet could not see anything obvious (like bloat) and suggested X-rays. When we looked at them we couldn't believe what we saw. Somehow our little Hoover had found and eaten a long needle-like piece of metal which was impaled crosswise in his esophagus!

The vet sedated Nugget, propped his mouth open and blindly probed with very long tweezers. She was very skilled and fortunately was able to extract the object with minimal damage. It took several hours before Nugget was conscious enough to have the catheter and IV removed. The poor little guy could barely walk, his tongue was all wrinkled up and sticking out of his mouth, and he was totally disoriented. In spite of all of that he walked right up the SUV ramp happy to go home.

Thank goodness we didn't "wait until morning" to seek help. I can only imagine what would have happened if the sharp piece of metal had been stuck further down or torn up his intestines.

After a day of recovery Nugget is back to being happy and playful. We do have him on a course of antibiotics and a medication to coat his esophagus. He is eating and drinking normally and does not appear to be uncomfortable. I guess that turkey bones aren't the only dangers to watch out for!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Holy smokes that is terrible. I am so happy that the vet was able to get that metal of your boy and that Nugget will be okay or should I say is okay. Give him a tummy rub for me.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Oh my gosh! I am so glad you acted quickly.

What the heck was that thing?!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am so glad you were able to get him to the vet! How scary! I am glad he is alright!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
OUCH, and good for you getting him treated so quickly! I hope everything heals up well in the esophagus and he's back to normal soon!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Oh my goodness! Poor baby, I'm so glad he is going to be ok. They never stop finding ways to scare us!

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Holy crap! My jaw hit the floor when I read that! Thank goodness you took him to the ER - and thank goodness for your wonderful vet. Hope Nugget is feeling better now, and that he learns sharp, needle-like objects are really not all that tasty to begin with..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Holy Nugget! Wow, what a good puppy parent to get your pup there right away and get fixed up! So lucky to come through so well, its amazing the things a dog will attempt to ingest, they have no criteria for yummy it seems lol

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Nugget

Thank God that Nugget is alright!! That was so scary!!

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
:0 So glad hes ok! They scoff anything up thats small and on the floor! Buggers.

It is good you know your dog, that alone probably saved him from something more awful happening. Know whats normal behavior and what is even a little off for them......

Hope Nuggett is resting well tonight....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
So glad that you acted so quickly and he will be ok. I can't imagine how scary that was. Sending healing thoughts that he heals quickly.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow, so glad he is ok. I'm sorry I have try not to open a post with Nugget's name on it. I lost my Nugget girl a year ago so it's very hard for me to see his name show up in post. I am very glad he is going to be ok. I hope you can get as many happy years of memories that I did.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Just read this and hope today has him back to his loving, funny self. I know your quick reaction saved his life. Nugget, you really must stay away from sharp objects!!

I am always worried about all the sticks mine eat. So far, so good, but just can't always pull out a smaller stick from their mouth quick enough as you can a bigger branch.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
oh my goodness, I too am happy he is ok! How is he today?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nugget wants to thank everyone for your kind thoughts. He is back to his old self, loving life and proving the puppy behaviorist's predictions. She said that he was an exceptionally inquisitive pup; but we had no idea that it would mean that he would eat rocks, cacti, palm fronds and mystery objects.

Anyway, I do not understand why he eats all that weird stuff but spits out the pills that he needs to take for the next few days.

Our holiday money is spent; but having our little guy happy and healthy is worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Thank goodness he is going to be ok. They can scare the bejesus out of us. It always amazes me what they will eat and not eat. Give him a big hug and kiss for being so brave.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Nugget wants to thank everyone for your kind thoughts. He is back to his old self, loving life and proving the puppy behaviorist's predictions. She said that he was an exceptionally inquisitive pup; but we had no idea that it would mean that he would eat rocks, cacti, palm fronds and mystery objects.

Anyway, I do not understand why he eats all that weird stuff but spits out the pills that he needs to take for the next few days.

Our holiday money is spent; but having our little guy happy and healthy is worth it.
oooh, the look on his face is very familiar to me--we get that same look on Toby and he's also an inquisitive sort of dog! Glad he's OK!

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
Wow, so scary... My babies are always finding things to put in their mouths.. I am so glad you took him in right away, and they were able to get it out.. Snuggles for nugget..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts