Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone.. Well 7 months ago, I purchased a Golden from someone out in Greensfield, TN .. When i Purchased him he was only nine months old.. His Parents are both AKC certfied. Ive been told if I Neuter my dog Tundra.. He will be Lazy and become wider? Ive took him to a Fowl Game Trainer he told me not to Neuter Tundra.

I have no Idea why ..Tundra doesnt like to play with small dogs for example a chihuahua he thinks its a pet toy until it start biting him lol also a Beagle :(

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the GRF forum. If you have no intentions of breeding your pup I would wait until he is 18 months so he will reach his full development.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Neutering him won't make him lazy or fat. That's the first time I have ever heard that! I'm 100% all for neutering, but at the appropriate age. I personally prefer to hold off on neutering until the dog is anywhere between 18 and 24 months old so that they have the hormones that they really need to grow and mature properly. Neutering will prevent testicular cancer, which can occur in intact males, plus prevent any accidental breedings. I would definitely get him neutered! I grew up with neutered dogs and they were all very far from lazy!

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
My ex-husband's hunting dogs were always Goldens that I had bred or purchased for him, and they were all neutered. He never noticed a difference, and in fact, never even realised that I was neutering them, until his last boy from me :) They were all excellent upland hunters (he didn't duck hunt) and hunted hard during the season, including lots of trips to the Dakotas and Iowa.

Neutering did keep them from being distracted by females in season, which would have been an issue since I show my dogs and so have intact females around.

I do agree however, not to neuter until he is mature and certainly not before 15-18 months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well 7 months ago, I purchased a Golden from someone out in Greensfield, TN
Hey, I got Murphy from Greenfield, Tn. Small world. Who were your breeders?

As far as neutering, unless you want your boy trying to get out or loose, I am all for neutering. (unless you are planning to have pups). I once saw my cousin's Husky tear a whole through the garage in an attempt to access their female. They felt that neutering would somehow deminish his macho maleness (or theirs). After the garage incident, my cousin changed his mind.lol

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
Howdy everyone.. Well 7 months ago, I purchased a Golden from someone out in Greensfield, TN .. When i Purchased him he was only nine months old.. His Parents are both AKC certfied. Ive been told if I Neuter my dog Tundra.. He will be Lazy and become wider? Ive took him to a Fowl Game Trainer he told me not to Neuter Tundra.

I have no Idea why ..Tundra doesnt like to play with small dogs for example a chihuahua he thinks its a pet toy until it start biting him lol also a Beagle :(
I would not neuter him at this time. Let the boy grow up and fill out properly before you start making alterations.
Keep in mind that Golden Retrievers are Hunting Dogs. They are intended to persue birds and small animals, this is prey drive. You control prey drive through training, so that you determine what he is allowed to persue and what is is to leave alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts