Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Golden in Training
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be bringing home my second Golden Retriever very soon. It would have been yesterday, actually, if not for terribly-timed food poisoning (mine, not puppy's!). :yuck::crying:

She is 9 weeks old. She is precious, well-socialized and living with her dam, sire and three litter-mates and her (human) family/breeders in their home until she comes home with me.

I've never brought a puppy home younger than 11 weeks. Of all my dogs, the most self-confident, self-assured, secure, balanced puppy was my male Golden who was 12 weeks old when he came home with me; he, of all my dogs, has changed the least from puppy-hood to adulthood. He tended toward the quieter/submissive side of his litter of 8, though he was neither shy nor the most submissive or standoffish. My soon-to-be-female puppy also has these same traits in her litter of 7.

I've been reading a lot about puppies' fear imprint periods from approximately age 8-10 weeks of age, which is why I'm posting this question.

I'm wondering: in my situation, would you bring a puppy home as soon as possible, which will be next week at 10 weeks old? Would you wait another week or 2 weeks? Do you think it really makes any difference at all as long as a puppy is over 8 weeks?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I am of the sooner, than later, frame of mind. Simply because early 'real world' socialization is so important in the development of a pup. Up until about 16 weeks a puppy's brain is literally a sponge, collecting all the information they can about the world - what is safe, what is not, they can, to serve them later in life. Though it sounds like your pup is in a fairly good situation, that is not your situation, that is not the life she will live with you, she needs you to help expand her world in a safe way, exposure to new locations, new people, places, surfaces, objects, sights, sounds and other puppies her age (so she can learn to be a 'dog' - communicate with her own kind)and body handling, so that she will have the information she needs as an adult dog to 'believe' that the world is a good, safe and happy place for her.

They can go through a fear stage at that age but that is when they need our help the most, we need to help them discover in a gentle and positive way that many of those things they may be afraid of are really 'safe'.

When I brought my pup home, it struck me how much they don't know, and have yet to learn about our world, how they have to experience, and process, and categorize - safe and unsafe - absolutely everything about the world away from the small world they spend the first couple of months of their lives.

Reactions: cwag

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I agree with Charliethree. Plus that sweet, fluffy, little baby puppy stage goes by so fast I would not want to miss any of it.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
My 1st choice is always sooner. It's great your breeder is taking such good care but I like the puppy to get used to my home's noises and my schedule.
But there is something to be said for 12 weeks also. You're closer to having a house broken puppy, most of the way through the land shark phase too. The pup is going to adjust either way so guess it depends on how much effort you are wanting to put into this pup and when you want to start.
You will also miss several weeks of training the simple things like sits, downs and walking on a leash or coming when called. Basically working for or with you, not the breeder.

For me, gotcha day can't come soon enough! But then I used to like to open Christmas packages on Christmas Eve so clearly waiting isn't my best asset :)

Hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving and look forward to pics whenever you decide to pick up your pup.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I'm also on the sooner team - I wouldn't want to miss those weeks, either!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts