Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any feedback from owners on Nova Scotia Tolling retrievers . Seems to be a healthy breed for the most part with some popularity increase as of late. Thanks in advance.

dlm ny country

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
i babysat one for a week. The dog was well trained so it was well mannered and behaved. However, I found that breed needs a tremendous amount of exercise. Way more than my Lab and Goldens. I became convinced I needed to register it in a marathon. Every. Day. Of. The. Week.

Oh, and, umm, Tollers SCREAM. I didn't realize they did this when excited. I thought the dog was having a stroke or something and was terrified I had killed it while we were playing.

·
Puddles
3,821 Posts
I've known some owners showing in obedience that say the same thing... even akc.org description has them at the top of the charts on energy. They are smaller than goldens but not by much. All the owners say they can be a little aloof and somewhat stubborn. Not as "wanting to please" and a little independent. Fairly friendly but not as people focused compared to goldens. They all agreed the dogs get bored easily so training has been a challenge. Of course many golden owners say the same but when 10 different owners (and my observations at the shows) tell you the same thing it was pretty consistent. Off the charts energy / independent / less biddable (trainability) / prone to addison's disease.

Here are the test that should be done on breeding dogs.
Be sure and validate all clearance information on OFA
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:

• Hip Evaluation
  • Ophthalmologist Evaluation
  • PRA Optigen DNA Test
  • Cardiac Exam
  • Juvenile Addison’s Disease (JADD) DNA Test

·
Kate
21,201 Posts
Not owner. I'm familiar with the breed through people who have them or had them????

Not hyperactive - but more stressy?

They are not much like golden retrievers - neither in appearance or trainability/temperament. They are more like australian shepherds in temperment. If you like aussies, you probably will like tollers.

One of those people no longer has tollers because she lost a couple to young cancer (lymphoma).

The other one, still has tollers - but quite honestly, the temperament is iffy. She stopped coming to classes when her dog was trying to attack all the male dogs.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Looking for any feedback from owners on Nova Scotia Tolling retrievers . Seems to be a healthy breed for the most part with some popularity increase as of late. Thanks in advance.

dlm ny country
A friend of mine in Canada had one he loved so much. He said tons of exercise and they are vocal -- an interesting howl/screaming sound. I could handle the exercise part. ? They are pretty dogs. Smaller than a Golden.

Just listened to the video above. That's a no for me. I'm sure they are sweet.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I have several friends with Tollers, including my agility coach who has always had Goldens in the past. They are much smaller than Goldens. As others have said, they are very vocal in a screamy kind of way, especially the higher drive ones. A couple of my friends' dogs are horrible in their crates at agility trials - yapping and screaming pretty much all the time. You have to be very careful with temperament: there is aggression built in to some of the lines. Another friend had an amazing Toller, but he and most of his littermates developed aggression problems at around age 3 or 4 and he was never able to compete in anything again - it was too dangerous to have him off leash around other dogs without a muzzle. That particular dog (and a couple of other Tollers that I've known) died at age 9 or 10 of cancer. Another one I know has Addison's disease. From what I've seen, you have to be pretty careful when you choose not only your breeder, but also the lines from which the pup is descended.

If you get one from sporting lines they can be very drivey. One of the screamy ones I mentioned above has just been chosen to represent Canada at this year's world agility championships, and is definitely a medal prospect. They also seem to be biddable and trainable, but have less desire to please than a Golden.

It was very telling to me that a well-known Canadian Toller breeder, who produces good sports dogs and had come to an agility trial to observe and give advice on one of her dogs that had encountered some problems in the ring, came over to me after seeing Duster run a couple of courses and said she wished she could breed a dog with his kind of work ethic.

My husband likes Tollers and would get one. He likes the size. I'm not sure I would want one. They look a bit like small Goldens, but they are very different in terms of personality and equally prone to early death from cancer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems to be enough to have me look elsewhere.
dlm ny country

·
Kate
21,201 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems to be enough to have me look elsewhere.
dlm ny country
fwiw - the ones I knew through friends (obedience and conformation dogs) were not really vocal/loud. They look and act more like aussies. They can be pretty quiet and reserved. And like aussies, you do have some temperament things. Main caution is/was don't get one and expect a small golden retriever. They are not at all like goldens.

Worst screamers in the dog world (imo) are terrier breeds and some herding breeds too.... :) I had my youngest in his first handling class last night and we kept ending up in front of somebody with a Pumi (herding breed). That dog was a screamer. >.< Glee kept looking around at that dog like "What the heck is WRONG with you?" LOL.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't looking for a "Golden" in a Nova Scotia toller. But it is an interesting dog in many ways. Very Aussie, Border Collie like which might be a good thing since I am a big runner. Having had 3 Goldens though, I never ran with them. But some of my running friends do run with their dogs and I thought that might be another endeavor to to ad to my running life. A Toller would fit the bill for sure. I would be interested in meeting some Tollers first of course. Will looks for Breeders in the NY region.
On a side note I did find and interesting story of a Border Collie that helped safe the family flock of 900 sheep from the terrible fires in Australia. Great story of a great dog..Spread the love.

dlm ny country

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I wasn't looking for a "Golden" in a Nova Scotia toller. But it is an interesting dog in many ways. Very Aussie, Border Collie like which might be a good thing since I am a big runner. Having had 3 Goldens though, I never ran with them. But some of my running friends do run with their dogs and I thought that might be another endeavor to to ad to my running life. A Toller would fit the bill for sure. I would be interested in meeting some Tollers first of course. Will looks for Breeders in the NY region.
On a side note I did find and interesting story of a Border Collie that helped safe the family flock of 900 sheep from the terrible fires in Australia. Great story of a great dog..Spread the love.

dlm ny country
Wonderful story. I bet a Toller would make a wonderful running companion. A border collie would be an excellent choice too. I think they are beautiful dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts