Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after waking up, I noticed this whitish thing in the corner of his eye. His third eyelid shows since I got him and docs said he'll grow out of it.

Have seen this recurring after every nap he takes today. Something serious?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,123 Posts
If the 3rd eyelid is red then 99% chance it is conjunctivitis (pink eye). Take him to the vet. They will make certain the are no ulcers in his eye first before giving him medicine. This it's important as the medicine, usually a triple steroid can hurt the eye of there are unless present. Though this is usually isn't the case (ulcers present). They should also check for a blocked tear duct.

There is a liquid and an ointment version. Make sure to ask for the ointment version. The liquid tend to leave the eye quickly through the tear duct and suntimes isn't a effective needing a second round of medicine. The ointment stay in the eye much longer.

Forgot to mention, pull the area under the eye down to expose the bottom part of the eye and look at the 3rd eye lid (any of the white area) for redness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the 3rd eyelid is red then 99% change it is conjunctivitis (pink eye). Take him to the vet. They will make certain the are no ulcers in his eye first before giving him medicine. This it's important as the medicine, usually a triple steroid can hurt the eye of there are unless present. Though this is usually isn't the case (ulcers present). They should also check for a blocked tear duct.

There is a liquid and an ointment version. Make sure to ask for the ointment version. The liquid tend to leave the eye quickly through the tear duct and suntimes isn't a effective needing a second round of medicine. The ointment stay in the eye much longer.

Forgot to mention, pull the area under the eye down to expose the bottom part of the eye and lol at the 3rd eye lid (any of the white area) for redness.
He had third eyelid showing since he was 8 weeks old. This hadn't happened yet. The bottom part of eye also looks normal red.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,123 Posts
The 3rd eyelid under the dark edge of it should be white not red or at least the slightest haze of pinkish. A picture of the conjunctiva would show off it's normal or not if you could upload a pic.

Eye buggers is a way the body expels excess protein in the diet. If your feeding a very high protein foods or are giving a lot of cooked chicken aa training treat, that could also explain a little extra discharge. But honestly the first thing I would suspect is conjunctivitis by the first pic you posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the 3rd eyelid is red then 99% chance it is conjunctivitis (pink eye). Take him to the vet. They will make certain the are no ulcers in his eye first before giving him medicine. This it's important as the medicine, usually a triple steroid can hurt the eye of there are unless present. Though this is usually isn't the case (ulcers present). They should also check for a blocked tear duct.

Forgot to mention, pull the area under the eye down to expose the bottom part of the eye and look at the 3rd eye lid (any of the white area) for redness.
It wasnt noticeable yesterday but today I can see the third eyelid unusually red and he is itching around it as well. Visiting the vet in couple hours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3rd eyelid under the dark edge of it should be white not red or at least the slightest haze of pinkish. A picture of the conjunctiva would show off it's normal or not if you could upload a pic.

Eye buggers is a way the body expels excess protein in the diet. If your feeding a very high protein foods or are giving a lot of cooked chicken aa training treat, that could also explain a little extra discharge. But honestly the first thing I would suspect is conjunctivitis by the first pic you posted.

Just clicked this one. That brownish shade in the third eyelid looks abnormal.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,123 Posts
View attachment 877703
Just clicked this one. That brownish shade in the third eyelid looks abnormal.
Whoa! that looks like a pretty open and close case of conjunctivitis to me. Take them into the vet, let them check for ulcers and ask for the ointment form of the medicine if they have it. if not then obviously take the drop/liquid form.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoa! that looks like a pretty open and close case of conjunctivitis to me. Take them into the vet, let them check for ulcers and ask for the ointment form of the medicine if they have it. if not then obviously take the drop/liquid form.
The vet told me has just hurt this eye. It's not conjunctivitis. (Should I get a second opinion?)
The redness is the same as the other eye (his third eyelid always shows since he was 8 weeks, the bottom has always been red). This eye looked more cloudy from a distance.
He has advised me to use Ketro Eye Eyedrops thrice a day for him. Will update with his condition.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,123 Posts
I would find it odd that he hurt both eyes the same way. Conjunctivitis commonly transmits to both eyes l, but not always, while being pet.

If just the one eye, then it is possible something got in there and scratched the eye. If just looks like classic symptoms of conjunctivitis.

Did the vet say how he hurt it, like what would or could have done it?

·
Premium Member
18,275 Posts
The vet told me has just hurt this eye. It's not conjunctivitis. (Should I get a second opinion?)
The redness is the same as the other eye (his third eyelid always shows since he was 8 weeks, the bottom has always been red). This eye looked more cloudy from a distance.
He has advised me to use Ketro Eye Eyedrops thrice a day for him. Will update with his condition.
If you have another vet available I would have it looked at again. I don't like that this vet is not concerned about the 3rd lid being exposed and red, and if both eyes are irritated it can't be an injury.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you have another vet available I would have it looked at again. I don't like that this vet is not concerned about the 3rd lid being exposed and red, and if both eyes are irritated it can't be an injury.
I went to multiple vets related to the third eyelid. Everyone said it's normal and they'll be fine once he grows up. It has been the same way since he was 8 weeks. I posted the same here as well when he was 10 weeks old.
Got a few replies that it was normal.

There is no discharge as of now. I could see a little bit of discharge on the left eye after the right eye was healed. But it's also fine now.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
nvm- I just saw you are in India. I dk if there are ophthalmologists there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nvm- I just saw you are in India. I dk if there are ophthalmologists there.
I had a video call with an ophthalmologist who also told me the same thing that he will grow out of it.. From last few months I have been waiting for the same, him to grow out of it.
I don't have opthalmologist in my city. There are few in India AFAIK. I will schedule one more call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts