Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into the backyard to bring Lola inside and she was GONE. Escaped out though a spot in the fence. I called and called- no Lola. I went for a long hour walk through the neighborhood( It is a huge neighborhood) calling and calling- no Lola. I was thinking all kinds of bad thoughts- hearing the car traffic... thinking of someone keeping her.... all those terrible thoughts that come into your mind.... my adrenaline was over the top. I gave up and thought I had better call my husband to come home and help me look for her before dark comes.... and there back in the back yard was Lola--- looking at me like " where the heck have YOU been"!!! I was so happy to see her naughty face... really mad at her for escaping and thinking it was just a great adventure..... Now I am sore and tired and worn out. Wish I had a camera on her to video her adventures- wonder if she heard me calling her........ my little naughty naughty girl( that I LOVE SO SO MUCH).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So glad she came back!!

When Angelina was younger I let her out the back (open space) and she spooked a deer which she took off after...right up over the hill and towards the street that comes down into our community. I was so scared! Of course in my pajamas too. So I ran in the house, grabbed the car keyes, rushed to the front door, opened it and there she was all proud of herself. She just ran around the block, never crossed the street and came home. Good doggie!

A couple weeks ago I accidently thru the ball outside our fence. Cannella, the 2-1/2 year old, calmly checked the fence for the existing hole I never knew existed and crawed thru, got the ball, came back in. Thanks C. for showing me the rabbit hole.

Gotta love those goldens!

Reactions: newport

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
First of all, I know how terrified you were. Penny 'ran away' one time. Penny's Dad found her across 2 fairly busy streets. Relief doesn't beging to describe the feeling. And later that night when I had her out ON LEASH we hear coyotes nearby. I couldn't help imagine what might have happened to her.

Secondly, are you sure she was gone? Did she come back thru the spot in the fence?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, I know how terrified you were. Penny 'ran away' one time. Penny's Dad found her across 2 fairly busy streets. Relief doesn't beging to describe the feeling. And later that night when I had her out ON LEASH we hear coyotes nearby. I couldn't help imagine what might have happened to her.

Secondly, are you sure she was gone? Did she come back thru the spot in the fence?
We need a new fence- we repair it as we can not really afford to replace it right now- but after today I am going to go into debt to replace it. Yes- she was gone and - she came back through the hole I found I am sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am so glad to hear she is home, safe and sound.

I know the feeling too and I am super paranoid now. Jake went “missing” when he was 8 months for over 2 hours when we were staying away from home, in the middle of the night, during a blizzard with over a foot of snow already on the ground. I can’t tell you how many times I tell my husband that Jake always needs to be on a leash if not in a fenced in area. That’s how I grew up with my dog….my dad would always say to me no matter how well trained your dog is, there is always a possibility of something setting them off and possibly running away. Especially an 8 month old puppy. Especially in an unfamiliar place. My husband of course grew up with his dog roaming the property as he pleased with no fence whatsoever. So naturally it’s like talking to a rock. He took Jake out in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, no leash and sure enough, another loose dog in the area runs by and before you know it he and Jake are nowhere to be found. Over 2 hours looking for him in absolute darkness, and at one point the dog he ran off with came back and Jake was not with him. I remember the panic, thinking to myself how I couldn’t believe this was happening, I remember being on the phone with the police describing him as a “8 month golden puppy about 50 pounds wearing a black collar with red dog bones on it”…..ugh it was awful. About 30 minutes later the police showed up and a little more than 2 hours from when he first disappeared, Jake just wanders up from the back side of the condo and walks up to the front door….it was the biggest relief and I just went up to him and hugged him and thanked him for coming home. My husband on the other hand was furious and while he never got mad at Jake, he just refused to make eye contact with him for about a day. That was probably worse for Jake than actually being yelled at…..he is so attached to his dad.

Not a surprise, I ALWAYS win the leash argument now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Gracie made two escapes, one under the back fence; the other through the side gate. The first one was on a rainy day. I came home from work to find this wet, nasty dog on the wrong side of the fence. Luckily, I back up to the retention area in our subdivision, and it is totally fenced. The second time, I came home from work to find the back yard empty, and the side gate wide open. Both Grace and Jessie were gone. A lady found Gracie about a mile away, on the far side of a busy highway. Since she's a golden retriever lover, she put Grace in the car and took her home. There was a message on my answering machine when I finally went inside. When we went to pick her up, the lady recalled seeing a black dog on the other side of the highway but didn't think anything about it. Apparently, Jessie tried to retrace her steps, but couldn't recall who's yard she went through and didn't make it home. It was 18 degrees that night. We searched til 1 a.m., then went home, cried, made posters, cried, went to bed, got up, cried, went to work. About 5:00 p, I got a call from a guy who found Jessie under the bushes next to his house, suffering from hypothermia. We got her home, and it took her a couple of days to get over that.

Now, my fenced yard has an electric fence on the inside, and double gates. The fence isn't plugged in all the time, just enough to remind them that it can be.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I got a call in Texas a few winters ago. Our DD had flown down to hang out on the beach with us. Son in law calls @ 2 a.m. to say Webbie got out and he couldn't find him. Dead of winter, a foot of snow and a JRT who shivers IN the house. I was a mess all night, choosing not to tell anyone. SIL called a few more times to say he couldn't find him. They live in the country. I pictured poor Webbie dropping from exhaustion and freezing to death.

The next morning as he went to put up the first poster he FOUND a poster that said "Found Dog" with Webbie's picture. Some girls on their way home from baby sitting, saw him in the road and picked him up. They weren't sure how he'd interact with their dogs so they kept him in their van with lots of blankets.

By the time DD called home, Webbie was back home, safe and sound. No more off leash for him...too much terrier in that pooch: he NEVER came when called!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I know that feeling all so well. Nugget was just a tiny pup and he went missing. Our back yard is walled-in; but we looked and called.....nothing! We went out front and called.....nothing! I heard sirens in the background and thought the very worst - he had somehow escaped and was hit by a car.

We were about to drive to the area where we heard the sirens when my husband opened the door to the pantry to grab a water bottle on our way out. I had locked poor Nugget in the pantry!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My husband, Jim, had a golden who learned how to unlatch their back gate. Just as he drove up to the house after work, Jim saw a couple of men try to force his dog into a car. Jim called his dog's name, and when Sam ran up to him, the men in the car took off. Jim was very glad he drove up when he did. After that, he wired the gate shut.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oh, that is one of the worst feelings ever! So glad she's home safe and sound!

Ranger's put me through that a few times. He's an escape artist and was a real roamer when I got him. He found ALL the holes in the fence and even made one or two in his efforts to escape and go running around the yard. Other times morons left the gate open (gate was around a corner from the door so I couldn't see) and he'd get loose. It is just the most sickening feeling ever.

Our last escape was when Blue and Ranger were outside and the wind blew the gate open. No one noticed the dogs weren't in the yard because it was pitch black out and the dogs are black, so it's pretty impossible to see them. I went to the back door and called, no one came. Called louder, no one came. Starting to panic, I turned my head to the left and saw the gate wide open. Sick feeling took over. Neither dog was wearing a collar or tags since they'd been playing, it was PITCH black outside...and Ranger is a known runner. When he's loose, he bolts. I ran to the front door and Blue's at the front door excited and worried. Obviously he'd followed ranger as far as the front yard but was too scared to go any further. I ran to the street and there is no sign of Ranger. I called...and he came bolting around the corner towards me! I was never so happy in my life!! And THAT is why I work so hard on his recall every single day!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I absolutely know feeling. Just over a month ago a devasted adopter of one of my foster dogs called me to let me know her dog was missing out in the country. It has been six weeks now, you start out with high hopes, and good thoughts and as time goes on - those hopes dwindle and those thoughts are of the unthinkable. We spent weeks physically searching, put up posters, contacted all the places we were told to and nothing, not even a sighting. We still are searching and holding out hope in our hearts that a miracle will happen and Gracie will get home to her mom who loves her so much! She is always on my mind and will forever have a huge place in my heart!
To those who have found your lost dogs, give them an extra hug daily,you are truly lucky to have them home!

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I'm so glad she's home safe, but definitely know the scary feeling of thinking your dog is gone.

A few times Samantha and Mulligan have gotten out (Samantha once, Mulligan twice). Thankfully every time they came running when I called from the front yard, they were simply exploring the neighbor's nasty yard that doesn't clean up their dog s**t.

Anyways, a few weeks ago I called and called and called and no dogs came. I was eventually just standing on the deck in the pouring rain and heard leaves rustling from under the deck. I called for the dogs and Mulligan came wiggling out of MAYBE a 10" clearance. I then kept yelling for Samantha and eventually heard more rustling. I ended up having to pull her out (she couldn't get out by herself) by her front legs. Our neighbor (the one that doesn't clean up after their dog) also has many cats, several of which hang out in our yard. My guess is they went under the deck after a cat.

Can you tell I'm bitter about the neighbors? Nevertheless, I'm so glad your girl is safe. It sure is scary thinking they're missing. I know your fear as we live a few blocks from a major highway.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
No more off leash for him...too much terrier in that pooch...
This made me smile. Lucy's terrier half took over one day. She got out the front door and was gone in a flash. That dog can run! I don't think she even looked back. My daughter and I threw on some shoes, (we were both in our PJs and of course it was the middle of winter), and took off after her.

She was no where!!! We looked and called her name for over an hour. So then we came home and made up a lost flyer and printed up quite a few. As we were putting one up, a woman came up and looked at it. Then she said in a kind of irritated tone, "Oh, she's yours. I have her in my backyard. She's terrorizing my German Shepherds." :doh:

My daughter replied, "Yeah, that would be Lucy." The woman didn't look thrilled. She took us to her house and there was Lucy trying, (meaning barking uncontrollably), to get the Shepherds to play. They looked just as thrilled as their owner. :no: I offered a reward, but the woman just shook her head. So, we just grabbed Lucy and left. I'm sure having Lucy gone was reward enough.

I'm glad Lola came back...they sure know how to age us, don't they?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so glad she's home safe, but definitely know the scary feeling of thinking your dog is gone.

A few times Samantha and Mulligan have gotten out (Samantha once, Mulligan twice). Thankfully every time they came running when I called from the front yard, they were simply exploring the neighbor's nasty yard that doesn't clean up their dog s**t.

Anyways, a few weeks ago I called and called and called and no dogs came. I was eventually just standing on the deck in the pouring rain and heard leaves rustling from under the deck. I called for the dogs and Mulligan came wiggling out of MAYBE a 10" clearance. I then kept yelling for Samantha and eventually heard more rustling. I ended up having to pull her out (she couldn't get out by herself) by her front legs. Our neighbor (the one that doesn't clean up after their dog) also has many cats, several of which hang out in our yard. My guess is they went under the deck after a cat.

Can you tell I'm bitter about the neighbors? Nevertheless, I'm so glad your girl is safe. It sure is scary thinking they're missing. I know your fear as we live a few blocks from a major highway.
My neighbor has many cats as well- and Lola is a cat chaser. I assume any cat food found around outside was eaten.... in fact Lola had some really bad gas last night( normally she has none) and I wonder if she did not find some cat food to eat on her travels away from home:doh:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that feeling all so well. Nugget was just a tiny pup and he went missing. Our back yard is walled-in; but we looked and called.....nothing! We went out front and called.....nothing! I heard sirens in the background and thought the very worst - he had somehow escaped and was hit by a car.

We were about to drive to the area where we heard the sirens when my husband opened the door to the pantry to grab a water bottle on our way out. I had locked poor Nugget in the pantry!
That is so funny (probably not at the time though!:wave:)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
One day when my mother was alive I got a frantic call from her at my office. She was so upset--she'd lost our puppy! She was crying and wanting to go outside and look. I had to tell her to stay put (she was unsteady on her feet and the last thing I wanted for her to try to look...). I told her I'd get home as quickly as I could, but I worked an hour plus away. A little while later I got another call from mom who sheepishly told me the puppy had been found inside her crate. She's black and was very tiny then, and she had curled up into a tight ball--no one could see her. She was so young then she didn't respond to being called. We all had a good laugh about it. But I know my mother would have been devastated if the puppy had gotten out.

·
Missing Whiskey
77 Posts
Quite some years, one day my hubby and I came back from grocery shopping, my Whiskey was no where to be found, he was not wearing a collar. Then I found that the dog run door was left open. It was the worst sickening feeling I ever had. My heart literally sank. I went out to the open space, tracing the trail we took the dogs on everyday, my hubby got on the bike searching, nothing. I searched the neighborhood street by street, called all the area shelters, nothing. I just felt a sense overwhelming lost and vacant. Finally I went to the neighborhood again, saw a group kids playing, asked them if they saw a big red golden. To my surprise, they said yes. Then I found Whiskey in their year, tied up in the collar way too tight for him. I was just ecstatic. I can't imagine losing any of my dogs, it would be just like losing a child. From then on, double check dog run doors always, and always put a collar on all my dogs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts