Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Sounds like me. I alway think well it cant be that hard adn then I start a project and fumle through it and .....without fail read something afterwards that would have helped alot.

Not making that mistake training Jige for hunt trails tho ;)

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
It can't be that bad. :)

I'll never forget this one time when I was very young and clipping for the first time... and I used a #40 blade on this horse's legs. <- Seriously, thank goodness for polo wraps.

You didn't use a #40 blade on her toe fur, did you? :D

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
The good part is it grows back. Gunner looks so bad right now (not from his eye) He's blowing coat (from an allergy we guess) and looks like he is molting. He has some bald spots and others are big clumps of fur even though I have been brushing every day.
I'll be glad when this has passed and his beautiful coat comes back.
Meanwhile I wish I could figure out how to make Sasha's ears look nice. I don't have the right tools to shape the hair up nice. : ( But he still is a cute puppy so looks adorable regardless. : )

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Pointgold sent me this link on foot grooming a while back. Has anybody used this method?
I like those instructions better than the ones I've see elsewhere. Clear + pictures!

I do a pet-home variation of that. (Don't look at the picture in my signature - his toe fur is scraggly and his toenails were too long - I trimmed everything up RIGHT AFTER seeing that picture).

First I trim the biggest chunks of fur around the pads. I don't cut it too short though. Just enough to clean it up. Regular scissors.

I brush/poke all of the fur from between the toes up and I trim that off with my regular scissors. I try to hold my scissors a certain way to keep from cutting the toe fur too short.

And then I trim around the outlines of the feet, including removing any straggly clumps directly behind the pad.

The hocks - I just use my thinning sheers to tidy it up. I don't want the feathering SHORT. I've seen some dogs out there whose hocks look BALD and I didn't want that for my guy. It should look fluffy, but even. No mohawk or shrubbery. :D

I suspect his feet would look better if I had professional scissors (both thinning and straight edge), but honestly I can think of a million other things that are actually necessary that the money needs to go towards. :wave:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Poor Penny :)

I wouldn't worry, foot hair seems to grow so darn fast. You get the opportunity to try again way before your ready. I think we've all been there, welcome to the club!! :D

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian, I love that site. The instructions are so clear...when I bother to look at them...I've been following her advice for several years.

The mistake I made was pulling the fuzzy fur UP and cutting it instead of tucking it down and cutting. So now she looks like she has separate toes.

But, in my defense, it proably would have turned out like crap anyway because it's hard doing it on an upside-down dog in the middle of a big bed. :doh: That's why Penny asked for a grooming table. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts