Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Golden Retriever Mom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum. Am aware there are many reasons Golden Retrievers smell bad (i.e., fur not completely dry, anal glands, ear infections, bacteria & yeast metabolizing secretions, bacterial skin infection, improper grooming, poor diet). Have done extensive Internet Research on this subject. Want to know, has anyone encountered Golden Retriever that smells bad after going outside only in certain locations?
Lexie smells bad after going outside here at home (Gardendale, AL), however at the lake, or at friends' homes (less than 2 miles away) Lexie does not have bad smell. Can certain trees, pollen make her smell bad at some locations? Any info will really help.....Thanks so very much!!

·
Registered
12,919 Posts
Is she rolling in grass in your area that has been fertilized with blood meal or manure? That can cause some pretty pungent odour!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,639 Posts
I think I may know the odor you're talking about, maybe not.
I live on the NC Coast, it's very humid here and I am guessing since you live in AL it's even more humid.........

My boy goes out and rolls in the grass every time he goes out.......I don't use any fertilizer or pesticides on my yard because of him. He often comes in with a smell to him.

I have a spray bottle of 3 parts water and 1 part Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar I spray on him. I spray him, let it sit on his coat for a minute or two, then brush it through his coat. The Braggs eliminates odors, if you're short on time or don't want to bathe your dog, it works well. It leaves the coat soft too.......

Very important you only use the Braggs because it's organic, it won't hurt the skin or coat.

·
Golden Retriever Mom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly Crape Myrtles Causing Bad Smell on Fur??

Hi, new to this forum. Am aware there are many reasons Golden Retrievers smell bad (i.e., fur not completely dry, anal glands, ear infections, bacteria & yeast metabolizing secretions, bacterial skin infection, improper grooming, poor diet). Have done extensive Internet Research on this subject. Want to know, has anyone encountered Golden Retriever that smells bad after going outside only in certain locations?
Lexie smells bad after going outside here at home (Gardendale, AL), however at the lake, or at friends' homes (less than 2 miles away) Lexie does not have bad smell. Can certain trees, pollen make her smell bad at some locations? Any info will really help.....Thanks so very much!!
We have discussed it ad nauseam here at home. We think it may have something to do with Crape Myrtles. They are beside the deck. If she goes out for 10 seconds on deck, she smells bad. Out front, they are planted on both sides of sidewalk, she smells bad after going there. If she goes to one friend's house, who has Crape Myrtles, same bad smell. At the lake & other friend's house, no Crape Myrtles, no bad smell. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I sound crazy, but Crape Myrtles are only link at different locations. HELP!! lol:smile2:

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,639 Posts
We have discussed it ad nauseam here at home. We think it may have something to do with Crape Myrtles. They are beside the deck. If she goes out for 10 seconds on deck, she smells bad. Out front, they are planted on both sides of sidewalk, she smells bad after going there. If she goes to one friend's house, who has Crape Myrtles, same bad smell. At the lake & other friend's house, no Crape Myrtles, no bad smell. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I sound crazy, but Crape Myrtles are only link at different locations. HELP!! lol:smile2:
Guess it could be possible.....

I have a lot of Crepe Myrtles in my yard, but they are all in my front yard.

My guy only goes out in my fenced in backyard, I do take him walking daily and go out through the front yard, but he never rolls in the grass in the front.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Interesting as I have been amazed at how much my 5 mo old golden doesn’t smell bad. He only smells if he gets wet when swimming or if his ears are dirty. He is my 1st golden and I was worried about the shedding and smell but so far not so bad! I had 2 chocolate labs previously and they shed and have smelled worse than my pup Aidan. We have always wanted a tan bloodhound, but have been put off by their smell and their wondering tendencies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts