Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mia's Mate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had Mia (4 years old) for 6 months now.
She continues to confuse us.
She does not like water. We have a pool
but she has no interest in it whatsoever.
I have just taken her out to a lovely flat area
with her favorite cushioned hoop toy and thought we
could have some wonderful exercise tossing
the hoop. But she was not interested.
All she did was look for grass to eat and ignored her toy
And she is not ill!!
I am having difficulty getting her to exercise.
And I see all the wonderful members of
the forum having such a good time with their Goldens.
I will continue to try but it is disheartening. :(
Mia's Mate.

·
Kate
21,772 Posts
Some golden retrievers just aren't retrievers or swimmers. And even if they are, I think they may lose interest if not "imprinted" early on.

Take her for daily walks and weekend "adventures" on hiking trails. That's how I exercise my guys. :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny was 2 years old before she showed any interest in water at all. After that it was all about WATER!!! Your pool might be intimidating to her. Not all dogs want to jump into water over their heads. Have you taken her to a beach where she can go wading? That might be a more gradual way to introduce her to water and swimming. Penny prefers to wade and would never go out deep enough to swim on her own...only to follow me and even then she wants me to come closer to shore. So she loves water, but not swimming.

As for retreiving? Our son-in-law calls her a Golden Bring It To Me. 'Nuf said. She also loves to eat grass. She's perfectly content to just go for a walk with us. She can be nuts playing in the house or wrestling outside but she's not much for just running around and playing fetch.

·
Mia's Mate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for help and encouragement.
Will do with the walks and trail blazing.
I guess I am more disappointed than she is!!
Cheers,
Allie,G

·
Mia's Mate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Penny sounds just like Mia re. the fetching.
We are not allowed on the beach with dogs
during the summer season. (we are on the Costa del Sol, Sp.)
We have had her for only 6 months but I will try now that the
winter is coming. She does have a low energy level. Gets tired
quickly. I attributed this to lack of exercise. We got Mia from a
rescure center so it is difficult to know what her activities were
like before us. She is a great gal though. Right from day one
not one problem!!
Thanks again.
Allie.G

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Max has zero interest in water, and his idea of retrieving is this - I throw the ball, he looks at me, I go get it.
Lack of energy could be low thyroid, you might want to get that checked.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dog is now 5 and still has no interest in retrieving or swimming.

He does enjoy water but he doesn't know how to swim and starts going under rather quickly.

·
Mia's Mate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max and Mia have a lot in common!
Will check out the thyroid next time at the
vet. Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Allie.G

·
Mia's Mate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well with all of your comments
I now feel better.
Thought I had a very strange
Golden! Thanks for all your replies.
Mia's Mate

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Our Buddy didn't show any interest in retrieving a ball till he was over one. I use to jke and say he was a golden unretrevier. We tried taking him swimming at a friend's pool. He sank like a rock. We wound up buying him a toddler's swimming pool which he loved to splash in. Fascinating that they are so different.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
My son and I have sisters. Dakota, mine, loves the water. In fact, due to her love of all water, she has to be walked on a leash for the next week. She was just spayed, so we can't have her laying in every puddle she can find. I had to teach her to fetch, but now she loves it, is addicted to fetching. Avita, her sister, was a natural retriever, but water? She sits outside the small pool or puddle and waits for Dakota to finish rolling in it. When we first began taking them down to the lake, Dakota jumped right in, heaven was found! We had to coax Avita in. Now she goes in, but only because she can't say no to something thrown, no matter where it goes.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
A big pool can be intimidating to a dog that has never been in one. Our boys love to swim in the pool but we literally put them in the pool the day they came home. They needed to learn to swim and we had to teach them how to get out if they were to be out in the yard.
As for retrieving......Cody never did....Wyatt is the master retriever:D
I think it would be worth it to get a little kiddie pool and if she adapts to that then she might want to try out the big pool. It's worth a shot.
Just wondering if your pool is fenced off so she can't accidently fall in. Because if she did there is a possibility that she will panic and won't know how to get out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
On a couple of occasions, my dog refused to go to the grassy part of the backyard because doing so would have required him to wade through a small puddle on the sidewalk left by rainwater. I am not kidding. :) I had to take him out front on a leash instead.

Eventually, he got comfortable wading through a little puddle here and there, and he'll go for a walk in the rain. But he's not a water dog- at least when it comes to "standing" water. I was visiting some relatives who were renting a beach house last summer and took the dog with me. There was a pool in the backyard, he would not go in no matter how many people were in it (and he loves people). He initially refused to go out in the ocean also. A day or two later I got him to wade in a little bit with me, but he got a look of sheer panic on his face, so I took him back to shore.

It's not that he can't swim, he's demonstrated an instinctive little doggie paddle. He just doesn't like the water. I figure he doesn't have to. There's no compelling reason why he'd ever have to swim or wade through water if it's not something he enjoys.

It's funny in a way, because he's a very adventurous high energy dog in general. He loves car rides and exploring new places and walking through wherever and meeting new people and animals. So him not liking water is very "out of character" for him. But it is what it is. Dogs have idiosyncrasies just like people, and most of the time it's harmless.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Chance is 7 and doesn't retrieve and he doesn't like water at all. I used to be upset about all the adventures that almost everyone on the board talks about and shows pictures of. But...Chance is Chance and I love him no matter what he likes or dislikes.

I took Chance and Lucy to an enclosed field awhile back, thinking they'd both love to be off leash and run around. Well I was half right...when I took their leashes off, they looked at me, looked at each other, then they sat down. After a second Lucy took off, but Chance just sat there. Seriously. I think the most exercise he got was when the rolled around in the grass. ;)

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Words of wisdom here Wyatt's mommy.....even if your dog doesn't like the water be sure and get him into the pool so he knows how to get out should he fall in when no ones around. Unfortunately dogs drown all the time after falling into pools, even strong swimmers, because they've never been shown how or where to get out.

Pete

A big pool can be intimidating to a dog that has never been in one. Our boys love to swim in the pool but we literally put them in the pool the day they came home. They needed to learn to swim and we had to teach them how to get out if they were to be out in the yard.
Just wondering if your pool is fenced off so she can't accidently fall in. Because if she did there is a possibility that she will panic and won't know how to get out.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Not a Retriever...

My first GR, Sadie, was a rescue who came to our family at 4 or 5. I don't think either of her first two(!) families played with her. She wasn't interested in retrieving or toys. She didn't like the beach. She didn't like the indoor therapy pool where I took her to to swim for her bad hips. But one day she surprised us -- she jumped right off the dock into shallow water at a lake when she saw geese in the water near-by. Maybe that would interest your dog -- ??

If not, Sadie was wonderful -- loving and cuddly and loyal for her almost 10 years with us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts