Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: We were just wondering, are the dark red goldens normally bigger? And does the coloring matter when it comes to medical problems?

We are looking for a dark red puppy. My husband loves that color better then the light goldens.

I just need some help figuring some things out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
18 hrs. is a long ride! I don't recall ever hearing that there are any health or behavior differences between the coat color. I think I did hear that some of the very white Goldens are a little high strung. Maybe 'cause of the line breeding over the years. I don't know.

Aw heck, go ahead and get that one. I love the dark ones too.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Our golden, MOJO, is darker in colour. His auntie Dyna was a deep deep red (absolutely gorgeous). Mojo is on the tiny size for a Golden. He stands at 21 " at the shoulder and only 54 lbs. He was the runt of the litter when born but by the time we brought him home at 9 weeks he was the 2nd biggest. Figure that out.
I also had a Golden named TOBY. He was a really big boy. I thought all goldens were huge like him. Wrong! His coat was a lovely straight real golden colour. Neither dog had or has medical problems. Genetics - what goes into the dog - plays the biggest part of what health problems they have.
I personally love the deep red coats. Look at the ears of a puppy. They usually have their coat turn the colour of the ears. Mojo also had a nice red saddle across his nose.
I prefer the straight coat and big square heads rather than the pointier head. Personal preference only.
Hope I've helped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have been looking for a closer breeder with dark red puppies but I am not having any luck. Guess we are going to have to drive 18 hours, either that or have her/him shipped to us. But I hate the thought of the poor puppy being in a crate and on an airplane all alone. :(

Thanks again!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, that's love for you! 18 hour ride... let us know how it went. Our Golden - Kia has dark hair and the father of her puppies is also dark haired and 2 of the puppies born will probably end up having their colour and the last 2 are blonde - even though there's no trace in the parents. So there's genes I guess... :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never heard of darker goldens having more medical problem then the lighter golden. Rocky's mom is a deep red and she is pretty old but still quite healthy, his dad is a darker brown color which we found really nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it looks like we wont be getting that golden that is 18 hours away.

Husband said, by the time we drive over there to get the $450 puppy we would have a lot more money into it. So, I have found closer breeders. Although, they range from $500 to $900.

Just gotta talk him into spending that much. :doh:

I'll be like ppppllllleeeeeaaaassssseee LOL :hide:

·
Registered
101 Posts
WeluvGoldens said:
Well, it looks like we wont be getting that golden that is 18 hours away.

Husband said, by the time we drive over there to get the $450 puppy we would have a lot more money into it. So, I have found closer breeders. Although, they range from $500 to $900.

Just gotta talk him into spending that much. :doh:

I'll be like ppppllllleeeeeaaaassssseee LOL :hide:
As long as it's a good breeder I'm sure the money will be worth it. If you were to drive 18 hours back and forth and I'm assuming at least twice, once to visit and meet the puppy and the second time to pick him up.. then the gas money that you're paying can now instead go to the puppy closer to your place:D As well has hotel money to stay over at some place.. unless you plan to drive 18 hours straight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been looking around in Texas, where I live, to find a darker golden breeder and it is really difficult. I have found sooooo many light golden or blonde breeders but not many dark. I don't know what the deal is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts