Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Random question. Do some male dogs just never raise their leg? Charlie is almost a year in a few more weeks actually. But still doesnt show any interest in raising his leg or marking spots. He smells other dogs marking spot but never bothers doing it hiself. He is not neutered. My friends pup was raising its leg at around 7 months and i just saw someone else post on here abuut it to. Its not like hes "not hormonally mature" as he gaurds the house barks at people at the door and is very intent on smelling other animals. Is this normal? Would he eventually raise his leg? Or do some dogs just never do?? Im sorry its an odd post but im seriosuly curious? He Will get vaccines this summer so i was going to get bloodwork prior to that for annual.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My boys 8 and 9 have never raised their leg to pee. Both were trained as puppies to pee on pavement therefore no target and nothing to pee on but the ground. It's ok and nothing at all to worry about. My daughter once laughed and said proudly, "he pees like a girl, we taught him that".

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
My 4 boys sporadically lift their leg..but maybe started at 3 or 3 1/2 yrs old...but they all mostly squat...

·
Registered
737 Posts
I once had an intact male that squatted to pee his entire life. He was the only male I had at the time. If you have two intact males it seems they learn very early on to lift their legs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My boy will be 3 years old in September. He just got neutered in March. He has never lifted his leg, but he also lives with a female dog and just followed suit. None of my boy dogs ever lifted their leg. I guess I just got lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
My bridge boy, Bear didn't raise his leg until he was 2 years old and our first foster dog, Luna, marked like a boy on walks. It was so funny watching the girl raise the leg and the boy squat. But eventually Bear started raising the leg too (just to mark, cause at home he was still a squatter).

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,184 Posts
I'm on my second boy, both of my guys squatted and raised their leg at different times. My current boy squats more often than he raises his leg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts