Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'd say it sounds normal. Bentley was gaining a pound and a half to two every week until he turned 6 months then it slowed a bit. At last check he was 48 pounds at about 6 months old.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my experience with Golden's, is that they come is such a wide range of sizes, so depending on how big your pup will be when she's full grown will determine how much she gains in a week.

I've seen Golden Retrievers that are no more than 50lbs full grown, which is sort of what I expected to be honest, but then Trooper grew to be a skinny 85lbs....and very very tall. The best way to determine is to look at the parents, and grandparents if you can. If they're large Retrievers, I'd expect her to grow as large as them (specifically the mom, since Gracie is a female)

Just for comparison sake, I have a 4mth old Great Dane pup, who's dad was 150lbs, and Gus gains 4-5lbs every week. I don't quite remember with Trooper, but I know it wasn't unusual for him to gain 1lb a week or more.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
In my experience with Golden's, is that they come is such a wide range of sizes, so depending on how big your pup will be when she's full grown will determine how much she gains in a week.

I've seen Golden Retrievers that are no more than 50lbs full grown, which is sort of what I expected to be honest, but then Trooper grew to be a skinny 85lbs....and very very tall. The best way to determine is to look at the parents, and grandparents if you can. If they're large Retrievers, I'd expect her to grow as large as them (specifically the mom, since Gracie is a female)

Just for comparison sake, I have a 4mth old Great Dane pup, who's dad was 150lbs, and Gus gains 4-5lbs every week. I don't quite remember with Trooper, but I know it wasn't unusual for him to gain 1lb a week or more.
On a completely separate note.....I WOULD LOVE TO SEE PICS OF YOUR GREAT DANE from when you got him home. I LOVE LOVE them and hope to get one one day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts