Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Ollie! He will be 10 months in about a week. He is amazing with all people, his only problem is all dogs. He gets very aggressive and barks a lot. He would never Bite them I don’t think but he just won’t stop barking when we’re on walks. I have no idea how to fix this. He is not neutered, would that make a difference? Do you recommend any petco or PetSmart classes I could join? Thank you 🙏

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
My trainer, who is a behavioralist, blows a whistle when one of the dogs starts to growl at another. We don't get too close to other dogs when at obedience class but one is pretty reactive. She blows a whistle when he snarls and then he is turned around or distracted. He is not allowed to continue while he is snarling. Since he is so eager to learn, he shapes up pretty quick

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,746 Posts
1. Neutering will not cure that. However, it could exacerbate it, as neutered dogs can get aggressive toward intact dogs (though it does not happen the other way around).

2. No class will fix this, and you're already very late. The time to address this was before he was about three months old. What you need is a behaviorist. It will be a private training situation, not a class, in all likelihood, and it will cost money, and you will have to be very dedicated and serious about it.

3. Saying that your dog just barks and growls but won't bite is a mistake. The behavior generally escalates over time if left uncorrected, and that almost always means that it evolves into biting. Take your boy to a behaviorist NOW, and plan to spend the next year or so seriously training this every day.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
No trainer at a pet store is likely to have the skills to address this, especially in a group class. Do a search in your area for “reactive” dog classes (my local spca has classes for “grumpy growlies” and also for something called “Control Unleashed” which is based on a book by the same name). I would recommend using a positive trainer, as in my experience (having owned a reactive dog), compulsion/punishment based training tends to make reactivity and aggression worse. If you can’t find a classes dedicated to reactive dogs, then I agree that having some private training by a certified trainer is probably your best bet (and the sooner the better!).

·
Super Moderator
2,024 Posts
agree with everyones input, work with a behaviorist. I know a dog that was pretty reactive to other dogs just like you described, leash lunging with barking etc. they went for private classes to get the owner up to speed on how to handle and preempt the behavior. One session involved getting dogs that she knew her dog was reactive to in a room and then doing walking exercises, correction and redirection etc. after a few lessons and much dedication from the owner, her dog is much improved and not reactive anymore! she has to be diligent to keep up with the training but she can go on walks now and not have her dog lunge and bark at every dog she passes. her dog even ignores other dogs that bark at him now, which is fantastic.

It takes work and persistence, good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts