Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, we've been having some issues with resource guarding behaviors and are diligently working on them. However, instead of focusing on the negative, I want to share something AWESOME.

We've been struggling to walk our stubborn puppy for months. As soon as she realized "I'm 40 lbs! Mom can't drag me or pick me up!" our walks have been all about Ellie's nose. "Oh, this smells so good. Look, let's go over here instead. See that tree, it's interesting, let me walk you there!"

It has been frustrating to say the least. However, since her spay, she's been more calm and taking Ellie on a walk has been such a gift. I truly love waking up early to go on our walk and coming home to take her out. I no longer dread the dragging or temper tantrum. On top of that, she's been able to go potty while on a walk. She had refuse to do this no matter if we took her out right after eating. We could be out for 2 hours and she wouldn't go. Nope, she would only go potty in our backyard and was killing our grass. Not anymore! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like your turning the corner, that's great. We have had the problem of the nose down and they would follow. I found giving them something to carry durning the walk work very good. A ball or one of their chews

Glad to hear thing are getting better.

Mike

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
First of all, hugs! It will get better.

We are way past the puppy stage (Sienna turns 5 on Wednesday) but I wanted to say it isn't all bad that she wants to go potty at home instead of the walk LOL- we love the fact that we've trained Sienna to do her business BEFORE a walk. This way the walk is not the necessity to have her pee or poop. And most times we haven't had to pick up poop while out walking. When we first got her we always took her to one specific spot in the yard to relieve herself and this helped keep it to one area. That said LOL, we got a little lax during the winters, so now she tends to pee where she wants, but thankfully she usually poops in certain area edges.

What we do find is when we are camping or exploring a new area, all routine is out the window and we need to keep a poop bag with us at all times LOL ....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yea!

I'm another that prefers the puppy go potty in the backyard. Then I don't spend the whole walk wondering if he's dragging me or needs to go. And no bagging.

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
Saw a long haird tri-color doxie on a walk thru the village carrying his new stuffed toy (or more precisely dragging his toy which was nearly as big & long as he was!) with his owners. It was sooooooooooo cute! My goldens love to carry a stuffed toy to show folks on our walks. Glad Ellie is settling into a good routine on her walks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It does get easier and the walking after they potty is what we do. But like Siennas Mom said
All routine goes out the window when camping.
When we rescued Molly she wouldn't potty on leash at all. One time I walked her around a campground for hours until I was in tears. She finally learned that she couldn't do all her business in a corner of our yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts