Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am little worried, this morning Bailey didn't want to eat anything.
She was boarded for a few days and I got her back 4 days ago. She lost some weight there, but I think it must be the high activity level there like playing all day with other dogs.
The first day her poop had a lot of mucus in there and this cleared up on the second day and since then all is back to normal.
She ate and acted fine until yesterday late at night and now she's just laying on her bed and doesn't want to eat anything and is sleeping.
How long do you wait to see a vet if your dog isn't eating? Is it normal that they have this in the morning from time to time?

Attachments

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
If I had a dog who wasn't eating and had mucus in the stool after boarding, my first thought would be a parasite. How old is she? Coccidia and giardia come to mind.

One morning off of food, particularly if the dog isn't a foodie, wouldn't worry me. With the addition of the mucus, though, I'd be thinking about going to the vet. Is her energy level OK? Are her gums pink? Has she vomited?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would be taking her to the vet, just to be on the safe side. And if she has some type of virus, I would let the boarding place know. Good luck and hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mucus is gone since 3 days, it was just the first poops (on day 1) after boarding and since then all normal and she was acting totally fine. I called there and they said all was fine there.
She still didn't eat anything and is laying on her bed since she got up.
She peed and pooped normally this morning. I will just wait until this afternoon and see how she does.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's still not eating and isnt' drinking what worries me even more. So I decided to go to the vet this afternoon. Unfortunately I won't be able to bring a stool sample a the one from this morning is already gone.
I hope it's nothing serious!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Yes, important to get her checked if she's not drinking. Little ones can dehydrate SO fast. Better safe than sorry. Feel better Bailey!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I went to the vet and there she started suddenly eating treats and drinking...her poop was checked and cleared.
OK, it was expensive $136 total, but at least we know she's fine... maybe I should have waited longer to get her checked. I think next time I wait 24 hours before bringing her to the vet.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I don't know, but $136 is not too much for my peace of mind.

I'm glad she is okay and hope things all look up from here.

If her stomach is seeming to be upset you can put her on a diet of boiled boneless chicken breast and white rice to give her GI tract time to recover. I've had to use that a few times with my old guy.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
When dogs are really, really sick, going off of food is probably the most common first sign. It's definitely worth going to the vet.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
haha, my dogs have been to the vet for "off" behavior and immediately started acting normal. But at least you know now she's ok. If my dogs refused their food ever I would take them to the vet. They inhale their food at every meal, so I would know something was wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since the vet visit at 2.30pm she's acting fine and started eating and drinking and she ate her dinner as usual - very fast.
The vet prescribed Flagyl for her GI Tract, so hopefully this was just a short "thing".

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Thanks for the update and I'm glad she is feeling better. Puppies are so delicate that I am always concerned when things are not normal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
After having everyhting normal from 3pm to 10pm, she's again very sleepy all morning and hasn't eaten her breakfast at all and isn't drinking either.
She's now on Flagyl and I managed to get her the pill this morning (had to put it in her mouth and made sure she swallowed).
Her poop was tested (it's been the third time in three months we had her poop tested) and it was negative.
When my son comes she's always playing and running around with him.
I called also the boarding place where she was over Thanksgiving and they have nothing reported by other dog owners.
I will see if she starts again eating this afternoon (like yesterday).
Is this normal for a dog suddenly to get hungry in the afternoon instead of eating their breakfast?
I keep an eye on her and if she's not eating today I will defintely go again to the Vet.

Now around 12pm I could actually handfeed her and she ate quite a bit and was drinking also a lot... she was playful outside and inside she just seems very depressed... I will go for a nice walk later this afternoon, hopefully that will cheer her up. She's still pooping normally and pees on her regular schedule.

Just before when she was playing with my son I actually saw her the first time humping on him...is this maybe a sign that she goes into heat??

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday was not such a good day for Bailey... she was sleeping all day long just playing a little bit with our son and outside digging in the dirt.
Just before 5pm she threw up all the food I hand fed her at 1pm...poor Bailey... so because I was worried I went again to the vet and they prescribed now some anti nausea pills... I had to dilute them and give it with a syringe as she wouldn't eat a thing...she didn't like that at all.
Yeah, this morning she seems back to normal, bugging me, countersurfing and she was eating almost all her breakfast and was drinking... so I hope that this is now over. $ 220 later she seems to be fine... hope she doesn't have too many of these episodes, I still don't know what got her sick, maybe she got something at the doggy daycare or ate something bad on the walk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts