Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought Newton home Saturday afternoon and he ate well for the rest of the day and Sunday.

Today he ate his first 2 meals, but didn't eat his 4.30 meal and has just ignored his last meal of the day 9.30. We're feeding him at the times he's used to and the same food - is it normal for an 8 week old puppy to not be hungry? Or should we be worried?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
When we first had our golden Paul as a puppy he was a finicky eater and sometimes acted disinterested in food. However, he always seemed to eat when he was hungry. Will your pup eat treats when offered? If he skips any more meals I would suggest a call or visit to the vet. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's not really that interested in treats either, but then he wasn't really to begin with - we're taking him to the vets tomorrow for his first injection, so we can have a chat if we're still worried. Do you think I should go shopping and see if I can find something else that he might like for tonight?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would let his tummy rest for tonight and then take him to the vet tomorrow. And if he is sick in the morning I would wait till he is feeling better to give him the shots. Make sure that he keeps drinking because puppies can become dehyrated fast. If he doesnt want to drink, you can put a little chicken broth in the water.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We brought Newton home Saturday afternoon and he ate well for the rest of the day and Sunday.

Today he ate his first 2 meals, but didn't eat his 4.30 meal and has just ignored his last meal of the day 9.30. We're feeding him at the times he's used to and the same food - is it normal for an 8 week old puppy to not be hungry? Or should we be worried?
Maybe he doesn't need to eat 4 times a day. Why don't you try feeding him 3 times and see what happens. Also, it may just be an adjustment period.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Did his breeder soak his kibble?
Sometimes I will add a teaspoon of wet puppy food...just enough to bring out the scent...
3x a day is pretty typical feeding schedule for young golden puppies...

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would probably cut back to 3 meals a day. I find that puppies that age aren't always as into food as they are as they get older. Also maybe cut back the amount he's getting overall each day. I wouldn't be too worried. But a check up with the vet is always a good idea if you're concerned.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
He's probably just settling in. Give it a couple of days and try cutting back to 3 meals/day and see if he seems more interested. If he has any illness symptoms, like diarrhea or vomiting, check with your vet.

As mentioned up thread, some young puppies just aren't foodies. I know it took Hank a while, now he wolfs down his food in like 30 seconds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's been to the vet - is a (very) good weight, and everything seems fine. Today he has perked right up, is eating brilliantly and is also a lot more active, so I guess he's feeling a lot more settled.

Thanks everyone for the advice -it's very reassuring to get so many answers so quickly everytime I start worrying :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts