Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feed Kuiper 2 cups twice a day of Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy. He has recently not been eating it at his food times, but will pick at it over time. If I put stuff in with it he will eat the whole serving at once, not quickly, but he cleans his bowl before leaving it.

If he doesn't eat it all I leave it down and the adult dogs eat it, which is not good because they are on a diet portion of their food and don't need extra food especially not a puppy formula.

I don't want to take it up when he leaves it because I worry he isn't going to get enough food. He just started this about a week ago.

He likes veggies mixed in with it (carrots & green beans), also I have been buying canned puppy food to mix in with his kibble.

Is his metabolism just slowing down and he's not as hungry? Should I be feeding him less? Is he just tired of the flavor?

Edit: He'll be five months next week.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
How old is the puppy? That info will help people to respond.

I've been told to be concerned when a Golden goes off it's food but it seems there might be things you're doing that contribute to this. Maybe he's figured out that you'll add tastier things if he doesn't eat it right away. I'd try omitting the supplementation and take the bowl up when he walks away. Do that for a few days and see if that doesn't solve the problem. If you want to give carrots & green beans you can always use them for training treats. You could touch base with your vet and breeder for advice.

Reactions: Kuiper

·
Kristy
10,013 Posts
He is letting you know that you're over feeding him. Split his meal in half and also, consider dialing back on the amount. He is probably fine with a cup of dry kibble and then some veggies and a tablespoon or two of canned mixed in for flavor. He doesn't really need the canned. If he doesn't finish it in 10 minutes or so , then take it up and cover it with plastic wrap and feed it to him at the next meal. Trust me, he will eat when he's hungry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts