Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Twister to the vet yesterday for his annual Lepto shot. Normally he just feels droopy and sore for a day or two after. Well he was up til after midnight puking all over the house, bedroom, front room, hall way, couch, blankets, well you get the idea. My poor baby.

I had to call the emergency vet (9:00) and they suggested a Pepcid and Benadryl, of which both he promptly threw up. I ended up crushing them and mixing with karo syrup and giving it to him in a syringe. He finally settled down about 1:00 AM and we were both able to get some sleep.

This morning he is sleeping, but ate some food, then puked it up. I called the vet again this morning-our vet is open Sunday. I gave him some Pepto and if he isn't feeling better will drive back to town to have the vet check him out.

The moral of the story, I talked with my vet, we are NOT giving Twister Lepto any more! I gave it to him as our county does have occasional cases, but as we live so far out, his only real exposure is racoon poo. We keep an eye on him any time he is out, he never is unattended, as we have no fences.

What are your thoughts on Lepto?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
geez I hope the poor baby feels better soon! Lepto vaccinations tend to have more side effects than all the other vaccinations put together.
But I also have 2 customers who have lost dogs to lepto, and it's not pretty. I don't know what to advise you. I have the same dilemma.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so sorry he was so sick. Dont really have any information for you. But I wanted to wish you good luck.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
We don't give lepto, our vet does not recommended it, even with our occasional trips to Nor Cal. When I did some research on my own it seems like the vaccine only protects against a few strains of lepto and the protection is actually low (only 50-70%)...

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/small_animal/internal_medicine/vaccination_protocols.cfm

Canine Leptospira Vaccines
Multiple leptospiral serovars are capable of causing disease in dogs, and minimal cross-protection is induced by each serovar. Currently available vaccines do not contain all serovars, efficacies against infection with the targeted serovar are between 50 and 75%, and duration of immunity is probably about 1 year. However, leptospirosis is not uncommon in Northern Californian dogs with exposure histories involving livestock and areas frequented by wild mammals, the disease can be fatal or have high morbidity, and also has zoonotic potential. Therefore, we suggest annual vaccination of dogs living in/visiting rural areas or areas frequented by wildlife with vaccines containing all four leptospiral serovars (grippotyphosa, pomona, canicola and icterohemorrhagiae), ideally before the rainy season, when disease incidence peaks. The initial vaccination should be followed by a booster 2-4 weeks later, and the first vaccine be given no earlier than 12 weeks of age. In general, leptospiral vaccines have been associated with more severe postvaccinal reactions (acute anaphylaxis) than other vaccines. Whether the recent introduction of vaccines with reduced amounts of foreign protein has reduced this problem is still unclear. Vaccination of dogs in suburban areas with minimal exposure to farm animals or forested areas is not recommended. Anecdotally, the incidence of reactions has been greatest in puppies (< 12 weeks of age, and especially < 9 weeks of age) and small-breed dogs. A careful risk-benefit analysis is recommended before considering vaccination of small breed dogs at risk of exposure to leptospires.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks Jessica. So basically I'm darned if I do and darned if I don't. We have wild animals come through our yard every night (skunk, racoons, deer, etc.). And obviously Twister is a small breed dog. Still, I don't think I will put him through that again. Just today he is feeling himself and able to eat.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I would probably not do it again either.... Seems so risky.... But talk with you vet... If they feel the need to give the shot, maybe there is something they can give him before hand... but maybe just not worth it. Tough call for you!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
That's awful! Tucker just had his lepto shot a few weeks ago when he had his rabies and distemper. He was a little groggy the next day, but he was 100% back to normal after that and luckily he didn't have any adverse side effects from it.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Laura, I don't allow my vet to give Finn the lepto vaccine, despite our having loads of raccoons in the yard for a good part of the year. My vet has had two clients' dogs die from lepto, but I have been in his office on two occasions when dogs amost died from adverse reactions to the vaccine. I would feel awful if Finn contracted lepto, but I'm pretty sure I would feel worse if he died from anaphylaxsis that I caused by giving him an iffy vaccine, and then there's the issue of the vax not providing full coverage anyway. It's really a big dilemma. Sorry that your little guy Twister got so ill and glad to hear he's bouncing back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd go for the Lepto shot by itself, with a benadryl injection along with it to prevent allergic reaction.

There have been more than a few cases of Lepto where I live, and young dogs have died from it. Even dogs that aren't outside a lot have been getting it. I know of a Chihuahua, and a Bichon, who were both diagnosed with it. The chi almost didn't make it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts