Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember me posting a little over a month ago about Marley peeing and pooping all over my beds in the house when he came back from being kennelled.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=53327

Well.....there have been no more instances of this until this week and I really don't understand it. On Sunday I was in the guest bedroom looking for something and must have left the door open, that evening Marley came back from his walk and went downstairs and wee'd on the bed in the guest bedroom. I went ot clean it up and noticed a dry stain so he must've done one earlier in the day too?

Then this morning I went into my bedroom to tidy up and here was a nice big wet patch in the middle of my bed.

Why is he doing this? Why is it always on my beds? He is taken out 5 times per day at least and has never onced cried to get out.

The woman in the drycleaners is really going to start thinking it's me!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have to remove the his scent. I would keep that door closed as well if possible.

when he did it after coming back from the kennels everything got thoroughly scrubbed and then I applied the spray stuff to get rid of the scent and then also some vinegar.

What else can I do to get rid of it?

Why would he only start doing this again now? He sleeps in my room every night and is in and out of my room al the time, I can't understand why he would choose this morning just to wee on my bed?

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
If there's no medical reason for this, I think you need to make sure he doesn't have access to your beds. You need to simply make sure he doesn't have the opportunity. Ever. Maybe in 3 or 4 months, give him more freedom and see if he's okay.

Sometimes it doesn't really matter why a dog is doing something. It just matters that they not be able to do it until the behavior is extinguished.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this site...might be helpful.

http://www.pet-comfort-products.com/how-to-clean-pet-urine.html

I think it might be he "has to go" and since he went in that spot before, it's hidden, keeps using it. POssible he could not hold it? is the room in his path to go out? has another animal been in the house?
Nope no other animal (except the Mother in Law!!).

The rooms are downstairs and we go upstairs to go out so they are not on his path to go out.

I wondered if my fiance leaving on Monday has upset him?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there's no medical reason for this, I think you need to make sure he doesn't have access to your beds. You need to simply make sure he doesn't have the opportunity. Ever. Maybe in 3 or 4 months, give him more freedom and see if he's okay.

Sometimes it doesn't really matter why a dog is doing something. It just matters that they not be able to do it until the behavior is extinguished.

Good luck.
Do you think I should lock him out of my bedroom at night? He has always slept in our room, would this not upset him an awful lot?

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
You said he's not doing this at night when you're in the bed? Maybe it's just when the bed isn't occupied?

If that's the case, I would still let him sleep with you at night.

Of course, you're talking to someone who moved her mattress downstairs to her livingroom when her dog had surgery so she could still sleep close to her dog :)

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
I think something has upset him. I don't think it's simply because he has to go.

I had a foster who did this and my sisters dog also did this whenever a stranger came to their home. He first started doing it when they went on a week long vacation when he was about two years old. They had a college friend of theirs stay with him while they were away and he didn't like it one bit.

I think it could be caused by anxiety over something different in his life.

I never could figure out why my foster did it and I tried everything to stop it and nothing worked. I know it sounds horrible but I may have kept the foster if she would have stopped but it was such a problem and very expensive getting the comforters dry cleaned every week.

My sisters dog did finally stop. They no longer allow him in the bedroom even at night.

I would talk to the vet and a trainer.

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
Do you think I should lock him out of my bedroom at night? He has always slept in our room, would this not upset him an awful lot?
I wouldn't let him sleep with you, show him who's bed it is and who's is in charge. I don't know if this is rational thinking but he may be marking what he thinks is his? OR? It sounds funny but could he be getting back at you for something, like he's saying ha ha ha! You left me at the kennel now I'm going to wee on your bed! How dare you!

Just call me the dog whisperer! LOL! :p:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot believe this, he did it again! We just got home from work and Scott was on the phone from Rio. I went downstairs on the phone and was speakingto Scott when Marley jumped on the bed a cocked his leg right in front of me.

I grabbed him off the bed a told him 'NO' he growled at me and ran upstairs and I haven't seen him since. I am so annoyed and hurt that he is doing this.

Scott has spoken with a trainer who has told him it's our own fault that we allow him on the bed and sofa. We need to stop him coming up on the sofa and bed and start treating him like an animal he says otherwise he will carry on doing this.

·
old but new
711 Posts
I know how aggravated you feel right now! I use to have a cocker spaniel that did this ALL THE TIME!!! I thought it was because I had a water bed, and it was warm...etc....However, I bought a new bed (with mattresses) and he still would do it!
My brother also owned a cocker spaniel that did this too! I wish I knew why they choose the bed?????? HMMMMM!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts