Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a photo taken at Cedar Creek Lake, where my neighbor has a weekend retreat. Note the boats that can no longer access the lake. This is a major water reservoir for the north Texas area.

On another note, the Texas Christmas tree industry is devastated and this will be the case for several years. No rain, no plant growth and dead plants and seedlings.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm surprised that they didn't move the boats out before it got that bad. Lots of people have.

We are supposed to get a deck boat and some seadoos for the lake next summer. Texoma has been closed to swimmers and boaters for a couple of months due to the blue algae. They were losing up to a quarter of an inch of water (depth) daily last summer.

Have you seen the photos of Lake Travis?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised that they didn't move the boats out before it got that bad. Lots of people have.

We are supposed to get a deck boat and some seadoos for the lake next summer. Texoma has been closed to swimmers and boaters for a couple of months due to the blue algae. They were losing up to a quarter of an inch of water (depth) daily last summer.

Have you seen the photos of Lake Travis?
These people are weekenders and I guess they didn't anticipate how bad the drought got!

No, I haven't seen Lake Travis, but I can only imagine it's bad. Do you have any?

Hubby flew over Lake Lavon a month or so ago and took a photo--it was downright scary because that lake is the main water source for most of Collin County--so much was gone!

I drive by Lake Ray Hubbard (Dallas' main lake for water) and on one side there are tree trunks sticking up in the middle of the lake. On the other side of the I-30 bridge there is beach where there was no beach before!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
That sounds really scary. I hope you get some real good rain, because your summer will be tough otherwise...

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Is like that down here on the coast as well. I pass 3 ponds on my way to Walmart in the next town--and every one are bone dry and have been for months. I really feel sorry for the wild life that depend on the ponds and little streams that are dry.

The only GOOD thing to come of all this drought as ducks that normally stay inland some are down here on the coast now. My son says he has never seen as many ducks in his life as he sees and he gets a wide varuty each time he hunts--blue bills, redheads, pintails, green wing teal, widgeon, etc. One of our church emembers is a game warden and he said they are seeing wood ducks and mallards down here and that is like finding hen's teeth in your yard! Not enough water and feed inland for them.

We sure didn't want a hurricane this summer but we had hoped for Tropical Storm to bring in some rain. Lake Corpus Christi is so low all docks and boat houses are sitting on dry land. It is really roughy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts