Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am curious about how much your golden drinks everyday? I know average for dogs is 1/2-1 ounce per pound but I also know goldens tend to be water hogs!

Mine drinks about 3-5 cups daily, but not sure if that’s normal or not for this breed.
I appreciate any input!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I believe the general rule of thumb is one ounce of water per pound of body weight. It also depends on level of activity (hence the range you provided), temperature, etc. I don't think the amount of water is breed specific. What does your dog weigh?

I am moving this thread to an area where you may get more focused responses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the general rule of thumb is one ounce of water per pound of body weight. It also depends on level of activity (hence the range you provided), temperature, etc. I don't think the amount of water is breed specific. What does your dog weigh?

I am moving this thread to an area where you may get more focused responses.
Thank you! He is a decent size golden, about 75-80 ish pounds I would say. He just tends to gulp down large amounts at once versus smaller amounts throughout the day. He has been like that for a majority of his life but I’m trying to monitor a bit more closely as he gets older to make sure I don’t miss any changes.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Oskie does the same thing. He only drinks at meal time, but drinks a lot. Our vet specifically asked about that, as Oskie is a bit on the chubby size, and adequate water consumption seems linked to maintaining proper weight. If your boy is healthy and active, I would not fret too much about it. Sounds like you leave water available all of the time. He should be able to sort out when he needs to drink. If you are worried about dehydration, there are lists available that you can check online.

Reactions: beausmom17
1 - 5 of 5 Posts