Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just looking at some photos on here of pups moose's age.. i know.. i know i've said it before lol but i just don't feel like he looks his age! lol i am crazy.. i know.. but he does have weird fur growing.. and i wanted to share his odd-ness with everyone!

the first picture is his shoulder blade hair

and the second is his "weird bum" hair.. its got to be the longest hair on his body

and the third is him watching me.. he know's i'm adding these to the internet.. and he is not impressed!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
The weird hair on the shoulders is called the "cape" and it will need thinning out eventually. It can get very thick. The pants are getting curly and wild as puppy hair does. Adult coat may or may not be just as crazy, just thicker. It depends on his lines and if you blow dry him or not after bathing. He's a cute puppy!!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we figured it was his adult fur.. his cape did get thinner.. it just the fur on the back end! even when we blow dry him it gets soo crazy lol

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Capt Jack has the same "cape" & his butt hairs do the same thing I trim them when he's sheding & just keep them brushed when he's not You have a great looking pup!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am so glad I found these pictures. For the last 2 weeks it appears as though my dog Finnegan is thinning his hair towards his back and sides,almost looks like he has a mohawk going down his back bone. It looks very similiar to your pictures. I am still alittle worried however, there is no discoloration , rash or baldness. Is this normal at 7 months to have hair thin out in this area? Similiar to picture 1.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF from another Mainiac! (I'm in Calais) Golden coats have many weird changes at about this age. Most common is a very wiry coat along the back for a short spell. Then perhaps fluffing up like a giant cotton ball for a couple of months before a giant "POOF" as you may go through a couple of vacuum cleaners. The all seem to settle into a somewhat similar coat in time.

I am so glad I found these pictures. For the last 2 weks it appears as though my dog Finnegan is losing his hair towards his back and sides. It looks very similiar to your pictures. I am still alittle worried however, there is no discoloration , rash or baldness. Is this normal at 7 months to have hair fall out in this area? Similiar to picture 2.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you for this information. This is my first Golden and I am fabulously in love with him. We are hoping to kayak in your area next summer with Finnegan in our middle port hole. He has repalced the grown up daughters place! Your dogs are beautiful.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is our first golden to us as well so this is all new to me.. moose use to have fluffy hair on his back and its thinned out a lot.. i assume its all the hair in our vacuum! lol i swear he's a typical boy.. we brush his fur and try to keep him groomed and it just goes everywhere ! lol he is my baby.. we don't have kids (still young & just getting settled in life). so i am super concerned about everything! lol

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My two are lighter goldens too. Kye's coat is long with those crazy bottom hairs winging out every which way but her back and shoulders have always had straight hair, so she always looks neat.

Coop, oh my, he has lots of cape (thank you for the word) hair, long hair on back, chest and body and a furry rear, with hair growing all which way especially after a bath & blow dry, but he has long, huge, skinny legs with straight short hair. Makes him look a bit like a Chia-Pet that we watered. His head is growing broader so perhaps a Chia-Pet with a cow head? He is also a tiny bit higher in the rear than the front. Know it will all come together, but right now he looks a lot prettier when he is laying down.

I have skinny legs too, wonder if he got them from me????

Reactions: mrmooseman

·
Registered
135 Posts
I noticed that you were from Cape Breton. We have spent alot of time there, as we love to kayak and hike there. What a lovely place to live , how is your winter so far? Is it ice and brown like Maine?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hahahah aww Murphy has long hair on his shoulders and on his little bum but the hair in the middle of his back is still short, he looks really funny in the wind :)

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed that you were from Cape Breton. We have spent alot of time there, as we love to kayak and hike there. What a lovely place to live , how is your winter so far? Is it ice and brown like Maine?
it has been really weird this winter. end of nov. we got our first snow storm which never happenes.. and a week later it was gone. we also had snow for the first time since 2005 for the holidays, which was nice. then we went back to no snow and mild weather. not so much ice, just wet. yesterday we got a freak snowstorm so we are back to having some snow. i say by next week we will be back to the big ol' muddy mess again. lol

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My two are lighter goldens too. Kye's coat is long with those crazy bottom hairs winging out every which way but her back and shoulders have always had straight hair, so she always looks neat.

Coop, oh my, he has lots of cape (thank you for the word) hair, long hair on back, chest and body and a furry rear, with hair growing all which way especially after a bath & blow dry, but he has long, huge, skinny legs with straight short hair. Makes him look a bit like a Chia-Pet that we watered. His head is growing broader so perhaps a Chia-Pet with a cow head? He is also a tiny bit higher in the rear than the front. Know it will all come together, but right now he looks a lot prettier when he is laying down.

I have skinny legs too, wonder if he got them from me????
moose had a lot of cape hair, but it's thinning out. he just looks soo funny, like he has constant bed head. only one ear right now has long hair kind of behind it so when he wakes up it is always sticking straight up! he's got short legs i find.. lol didn't get that from us! lol but he does have his "dad's" big feet and my car sick'ness

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Haaa! Know the ear stuff. Coops new ear hair looks like we used a crimping iron on them so now the hair sticks out AND is crimpy. So cute, he is a study in progress right now for sure. I will try to get a picture of him this weekend so you can see his fluffy body and long thin legs sticking out. The only thing that saves him is he still looks like a puppy and with conditioning spray and good brushing he will look presentable for class. Really enjoying this time seeing all the parts try to come together, but some dogs seem to ease into this so well from the pictures here, not Coop (poor boy) he is doing one thing at a time with different parts of his body. Just hope it all comes together in the end.

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
My Chloe has that butt hair. It is white and wavy. Everyone always comments on how cute her but is. I love it. Chloe's hair is just like your dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts