Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, Nola has been licking her paws A LOT after she gets home from the dog park. We live in Iowa, so that means cold & snow outside this time of year. it's obvoius her paws are a little sore, but they look fine: nice black color, nails intact w/ perfect length, & no splitting, tearing, or cracking.
Has anyone out ther had problems like this, and know of any reliable home remedies to soothe her paws?

And here's a gratuitious picture (Nola is more of a summer dog than a winter dog)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Could be an allergy. But first I would try some Mushers Secret wax on her pads before she goes to the dog park. I use it on my guys when there is really sticky snow or when there is a lot of salt on the sidewalks.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
We don't have snow here in San Diego, but in the winter when the grass wet a lot Sammy will lick his paws. Our vet said it could be an allergy, but also they can get bacteria in-between the pads from the constant moisture. He recommended washing his paws with antibacterial soap and making sure they are dried good. I do that maybe once a week and it seems to help. Good luck!!

·
3 goldens
12,055 Posts
no snow or ice here on the texas coast...except every 30 years or so---so i will not be much help here. Just want tosay you girl is a beauty and i hope you figure out the problem soon,.

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Epson salts soaks in the bath tub will make them feel better and help healing. Meggie had licked sores on her paws too and this helped more then anything, plus I kept her paws covered. I've used baby booties and vet wrap or dog boots over them. You may not need to cover if they aren't visibly showing sores, but the epson salts are nice. I take off my shoes and get in the tub with her, gives you a nice soak too. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so far so good

I bought a little tube of petroluem jelly and used my finger to spread a thin layer on each paw pad before I took Nola to the dog park today. It seemed to work well, she did not stop to lick her paws at all while at the park, and so far she has not shown any sign of sore paws sin teh couple hours since we came home.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I loves me an Iowa winter! I use Mushers Secrest, too. Seems to keep their paws in good shape. Can't help the snowball paws, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts