Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m new here on the forum. Our golden, Mia, will be 2 years old in April. We got her when she was 9 months old.

When we took her to the vet for her checkup earlier this spring, the vet noticed she had no undercoat. He thought it was odd, and maybe hormonal so he told us to keep an eye on it. I had noticed over the winter months she blew her coat, but it was very excessive and I had wondered if she blew her entire undercoat at that time. She was very itchy at that time so we switched her food to lamb and rice from chicken.

Now that it’s almost been a year, she has not grown any of it back. She also has a very short coat for being a golden as you can tell in her photo. Here is an up close photo of her outer coat with nothing underneath. You can see in the next photo that she does have some undercoat around her neck!

Has anyone ever seen this before in their goldens?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
567 Posts
I know you said you got her at 9 months. Did you get her from a rescue or a breeder? If you got her from a breeder you could reach out to them to ask about this.

I don’t really have any real advice for you other than that! My cousins bought a corgi puppy from an Amish BYB...and she has no undercoat. They are convinced that it’s a result of poor breeding.

·
Puddles
3,293 Posts
As I understand it diet and breeding are big factors on the pups coat. I agree with the suggestion for a blood panel to rule out a health issue. If you are not aware of the breeding history, it could be there is some influence from some breed that don't have double coats. Your pup has a beautiful color and really sweet expression. Might just need to get a sweater :) LOL it also means you won't have near as much shedding!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts