Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. LOL! We have too many teams with low standards, deploying uncertified dogs for example, making some local agencies think dog teams have no value.

We had a fireman who was coming to our training. Hadn't been voted on the team or anything, just training. His dog had no refind or alert but he felt compelled to take his dog on an actual search. My team wasn't actually deployed. Thankfully he wasn't on the team and didn't have anything with our logo, but I can still imagine him saying I train with so and so. Agh!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I started for pretty much for the same reasons. Like the outdoors. Wanted something I could do with my dog. Why not something that helps like SAR?

I'm doing wilderness with Maiya. Disaster does interest me, but training is hard to come by and I do have time and financial constraints. I get so excited when I can add just one more piece of equipment. :)

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
220 Posts
This sounds like something I would love :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Get in touch with a local team. They can always use volunteers as victims and you can learn a lot. I worked with my team for at least a year before I even had a dog. Also helps you determine if you and the team are a good fit.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I started for pretty much for the same reasons. Like the outdoors. Wanted something I could do with my dog. Why not something that helps like SAR?

I'm doing wilderness with Maiya. Disaster does interest me, but training is hard to come by and I do have time and financial constraints. I get so excited when I can add just one more piece of equipment. :)
How long have you been doing SAR? And how is it training a puppy as young as Maiya appears to be?

·
Registered
220 Posts
4 or 5 years. Can't remember how long I was helping out before I got my first dog Ivan.

It's hard for me to judge in a way. Ivan was a rescue dog I got at 4.5 months. Based on researching his breeder (I actually got his AKC papers and was able to register him.) and the pedigrees, it was a BYB. He was fearful from the get go. Everyone said socialize and he'll be fine. He never made the progress he needed to. He had cataracts in both eyes by two. Although he loves the tunnel and a-frame for agility, open metal steps frighten him. Etc.

Maiya comes from a good breeder who started working with the pups early. Maiya had already been exposed to agility equipment at under two months that Ivan didn't see until he was almost a year old. Needless to say she is far ahead of where Ivan was at this age. She's already working on her refind and alert while Ivan was just doing basic obedience. Granted, Maiya's just doing her AKC Star puppy now, but she's already got the basic OB skills down. She's just so far ahead of the game compared to him I'm really excited about how she'll turn out.

I just keep reminding myself to take it slow and not rush. She's still young and won't be old enough to certify for a while, so don't rush the process.

Now how training her would compare to an older dog with a better start than Ivan, I can't say.

Reactions: Eowyn and LibertyME

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I gave up a huge portion of my life to train, work and maintain proficiency in EMS, and yes, I would have jumped at the chance to have included S.A.R. with my goldens had I thought of it. I took a basic EMT course and started there, which drove me to become a Paramedic, then cross train with Fire and form a multi-department rescue unit. We were somewhat unique in that our EMS was a county-wide "third service". Law enforcement and Fire services were jurisdictional and initially there was a lot of bickering and whining over who's in charge etc. We eventually managed to get enough firemen and deputies interested in EMS that it then was easy to get people to cross train.
I loved doing high angle rescue training and loved working on Life Flight.
Some of my friends would get regular calls for rescue from "Clifton Gorge", my area was pretty much mostly farmland. We'd get lots of vehicle rescues, and occasional grain bin or farm equipment entrapment, but not much requiring the "search" part of SAR.
I commend you for wanting to do it. I loved it for 25 years, but eventually job, family and other commitments made me decide it was time to let others have the fun.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think it is cool that you are hoping to do SAR with Gibbs down the road. The training is pretty intense, I don't think I could ever keep up with it myself.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts