Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Marvin's mummy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kitty people,
My little furball is Murray and he's turning 2 next month.
So our little guy had A LOT of issues with throwing up ... :yuck: I should probably explain his food. We are transitioining him from Authority to Purina Pro Adult Cat and we've been doing that slowly, gradually and he LOVES the purina so that's been awesome. We transitioned him off Authority because we thought that may be what is causing his tummy issues and even though it was a hairball formula he seemed to be coughing up tons regardless.

He's been better on Purina. However, we went to a vet about 6 months ago who said we should be feeding him wet food every day. She said we should "listen to what he likes, and follow with that". He's in great shape, very fit and has beautiful long hair. We had been giving him a can of fancy feast every night for dinner as per her suggestion. BUT we were noticing that he was throwing up EVERY 3 days, sometimes wet food sometimes dry and we couldn't link it to a specific flavour.

We decided to try this week and totally withhold the wet food and he hasn't thrown up. :DBut I'm feeling terrible because our little buddy absolutely loved the wet food and everytime we go downstairs to the cabinet where his cans are he sings and sits by the cabinet. I just feel like he feels that we are forgetting about his special treat at night and I don't know what we should replace that with to make him feel loved when we feed Marvin (puppy) his dinner. Sounds silly but we love our Murray. Suggestions??

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My outdoor cat has lived on dry food for 17 years and still going strong. I tried giving him some canned last winter but he really didn't like it.

·
Marvin's mummy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely want to keep him on dry. I'm wondering if we should give him some treats in exchange. We give him a tiny bit of plain yogourt every once in awhile as well. I just don't want him to feel put off when we say "dinner" and only the pup gets food while he is left in the dust!

·
431 Posts
Our cat is obsessed with wet food, but he constantly gets sick when we give it to him on a regular basis. So we cut it down to once a week. It's always lovely to go to bed and find cat puke on your sheets right? Not! :p

·
Marvin's mummy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our cat is obsessed with wet food, but he constantly gets sick when we give it to him on a regular basis. So we cut it down to once a week. It's always lovely to go to bed and find cat puke on your sheets right? Not! :p
Omg exactly! He would always do it on fabric!! the worst! his fave spot was the couch... maybe it won't be so bad if we do it once a week! We were doing it only every 3 or 4 days but then our vet made us feel like we were depriving him of moisture and good food so we changed to every day!! sure is an expensive diet, I'll tell you that...
Thanks for the suggestion. :wavey:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I definitely want to keep him on dry. I'm wondering if we should give him some treats in exchange. We give him a tiny bit of plain yogourt every once in awhile as well. I just don't want him to feel put off when we say "dinner" and only the pup gets food while he is left in the dust!
Treats or yogurt would work or maybe just a tablespoon of canned. How about some of the soft nugget-type food. Isn't there something like that available?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
My cats are fed wet food exclusively.
I made the switch about 13yrs ago when one of my cats at the time was diabetic. It was then that I learned cats are obligate carnivores and a canned diet really is better for them.
I did have one cat with a sensitive stomach and certain foods didn't sit well with her.
I would suggest trying some different brands and see if one stays down, maybe try a limited ingredient diet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts