Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I might be a little overly worried here but I'm worried about leaving Ry at home while I go to work in this heat. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 94 and we don't have AC - it started with us wanting to not turn it on to save energy and now it is just plain broken. We have a fan we can leave running all day for him and I can leave tons of water and stuff - but is this too hot for him to be in the apartment during the day? Am I just crazy? All this talk about dogs overheating in cars and etc is making me worry so much! I suppose its not like it'll be any cooler if I am here with him...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I think he will be fine if you make sure you close your drapes or blinds make it dark as possible in the apartment leave the fan for him. I dont have a/c and because my sisters dog is in heat Jige has to spend lots of time in his crate. I have a fan on him to keep him comfortable.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well......to be honest, I'd be a bit concerned, as well.

If you have to leave him, I'd make sure there is plenty of venilation--every fan going you have. And I'd also freeze big chunks of water so he'll have cool water once it starts melting, hopefully all day. Or you can freeze water in a milk jug--and then put that in a big thing of water to help keep it cooler.

I'd also freeze a kong to give to him as well.

Can you go check on him at lunch? Or do you have to leave him for 8 hours or so?

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Maybe invest in one of those cool beds?? There is a thread about them... Might provide him some relief

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When I lived in Mass, most of the house do not have AC, or just have it in one room. My three dogs were always fine in the 90 100 degree weather. Keep blinds shut, keep fans on, and keep a big pot of water. Keep the bathroom door open. My great Pyrenees would sleep in the bathtub or against it.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You can try something like this, it'll help you keep cool too. I bought my grandma one a couple years back and it still runs great. Not as cool as an AC, but definitely cooler than a fan, and pretty cheap too, it's well worth the money. I'm considering buying myself a personal one just to save a bit of energy on AC, though it hasn't been hot at all this summer so far.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
You can try something like this, it'll help you keep cool too. I bought my grandma one a couple years back and it still runs great. Not as cool as an AC, but definitely cooler than a fan, and pretty cheap too, it's well worth the money. I'm considering buying myself a personal one just to save a bit of energy on AC, though it hasn't been hot at all this summer so far.

Amazon.com: SPT SF-608R Portable Evaporative Air Cooler: Home & Kitchen
I think between this and a cool bed you'll have one very grateful pup on your hands.:)

Pete

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Since your dog is obviously used to to not having AC, I'm sure he'll be fine. Leave plenty of water, close the drapes/blinds and I think that Cool Bed Melissa mentioned is a great idea.

Hank was outside with me most of yesterday and it was close 100F, he laid in the shade while I watered the landscaping and cleaned the pool.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
You've gotten good advice - I was also going to make the Cool Bed suggestion.

Maybe also put bowls of water around the apartment, so he can drink wherever he is.

If you leave a fan on, make sure it is in a really secure spot and can't fall or catch fire or anything. They sell fans now that have no blades. Expensive, but much safer.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

Amazon.com: SPT SF-608R Portable Evaporative Air Cooler: Home & Kitchen
These are great, I have one, BUT they don't work in humid areas. They work by putting humidity into the air. So if you live somewhere where you are already really humid and miserable, this will only make it more humid.

I say go with lots of water, fans. I've also used frozen 2L around so they can lay against it. If you have tile/linoleum he'll probably lay on that to keep cool. Get a cool bed if you can. Maybe wet him down before you leave? Again, that would work here in the dry climate, not sure about Pittsburgh?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
These are great, I have one, BUT they don't work in humid areas. They work by putting humidity into the air. So if you live somewhere where you are already really humid and miserable, this will only make it more humid.

I say go with lots of water, fans. I've also used frozen 2L around so they can lay against it. If you have tile/linoleum he'll probably lay on that to keep cool. Get a cool bed if you can. Maybe wet him down before you leave? Again, that would work here in the dry climate, not sure about Pittsburgh?
Did not know that, luckily here it doesn't get humid.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I left him at home with the fan on and tons of water and ice and etc. And of course the dog walker comes a few hours after I leave so he really isn't alone that much. She said that all he wanted to do was run around and play, like it wasn't even hot. When I got home, same thing - he was just trying to run around, he didn't seem to mind the heat. I figure I'll continue with this method until the AC is fixed (next couple of days!) and then after that use the AC any time it is above 90 or whatever.

Those portable things look good, but if it is true that they don't work in high humidity that definitely won't work here!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Do you have tile anywhere in your house? My dogs gravitate to tile whenever it is hot, and we use the AC all summer long! It really is cooler than carpeted or hardwood areas.

As long as he is inside and there isn't a lot of radiant sun energy/heat, it won't warm up as fast inside the house as in the car--people are cooking things like pizza and eggs/bacon in cars now, but it's the combination of the heat and direct sun that allows for the cooking to work. If you have sunny windows, cover them as best you can to keep that radiant stuff from heating it up so fast. That's why here in the southwest you will see so many homes with window shades/coverings closed during the summer days.

We use our AC constantly in the summer, but we also use ceiling fans to distribute the cooler air around and we don't use things that generate heat like stoves or ovens--if you can grill outside, microwave or do take out it will feel more comfortable in the house. We also have some foam insulation that we stick in our stovetop downdraft vent to keep hot air from coming in through it. In the winter we use it when not cooking to keep cold air from coming in.

I hope they can repair your AC soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts