Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. We have never been fortunate enough to have a golden that lived this long, but our dog is now 12- still happy and healthy, but now having difficulty jumping on our bed- which is a pure delight for us and for her.
Has anyone had experience with buying a dog ramp or doggie steps to help a 65 lb dog safely get up on the bed? There are so many, many models out there, made from all kinds of materials. We just don't know what is the safest for our beloved aging princess.
Any ideas would be most greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Welcome to the world of old Gold!
When my Golden started having hip problems and could not get up on the bed, I looked into ramps and steps. The steps seem to be made for small dogs, way too narrow. A ramp scares the heck out of my boy, lol.
I ended up going on Overstock.com and buying a big cushioned, wide ottoman. I put that in front of my bed and I give him a boost onto the ottoman and then up on the bed. He used to be able to jump onto the ottoman and then the bed by himself, but he had hip surgery last December and can't jump up like that anymore. The ottoman is comfy and does not scare him. He can sit on there also to rest, because it is wide enough.
Good luck with your oldie but goodie!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,000 Posts
I lost my Old Gold at the age of 15.5, 1.5 years ago. I live in a raised ranch, we have 4 steps going up to the bedrooms. My old guy was having trouble getting up and down the stairs. My DH used some scrap wood he had and built a ramp for him to use. He got a piece of carpet remenant and glued it down over the ramp. It worked out great for him.

We use to help him in and out of the car too.

Best of luck with your precious Old Gold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very, very much, cgriffin and carolina mom.
Great ideas from both of you. It is nice to hear from others who have faced the joy and privilege of having your dog grow older alongside you.
We will do what seems most comfortable for our Molly. Sunday is her 12th birthday and it will include a nice, long romp in the park,with this awesome weather, topped off with a free treat from our local dog bakery.
Much happiness to you both!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I gave my senior golden various supplements to help with mobility too. Duralactin was the first that gave him good relief for a while and finally we had to go to Rimadyl from the vet and then laser and acupuncture also.

If there is a holistic vet near you, I would surely recommend laser and/or acupuncture to see if it helps your girl. Copper walked noticeably better after just one treatment - he pranced to the car.:D His orthopedic vet had given up on being able to help Copper so this was really wonderful to see.

We have a linen chest at the foot of the bed that serves as a step for our dogs, but I've never tried a ramp or doggie steps so no advice there.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I lost my Old Gold at the age of 15.5, 1.5 years ago. I live in a raised ranch, we have 4 steps going up to the bedrooms. My old guy was having trouble getting up and down the stairs. My DH used some scrap wood he had and built a ramp for him to use. He got a piece of carpet remenant and glued it down over the ramp. It worked out great for him.

We use to help him in and out of the car too.

Best of luck with your precious Old Gold.
My husband made the same type of ramp for our Cody to get in and out of our truck. Worked great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Copper's mom and Wyatt's mom. The wooden ramp with carpet remnants sounds plausible and, especially, for our outside steps and into our car. The linen chest (or ottoman) sounds workable for the bed. If any of you have photos of your carpeted ramp, my husband asked if he could see them, to give him an idea. If that's too much trouble, don't worry.
But I SO VERY MUCH appreciate your responses.
We do, by the way, take our Molly to the holistic vet. We started 2 months ago. She gets acupuncture, some chiropractic adjustments and some Chinese herbs for muscle and bone strength, in case anyone is interested in that. (our holistic vet is very experienced in all of that).
She frolicked in the state park and had her special cupcake from the dog bakery yesterday, and we savored having our Old Gold make her 12th milestone.
My special blessings for continued good health for all of your babies.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
When my Brandi was around 9 she started having an issue with getting into my van (dogs back in that time were not allowed on our beds :no: - different story today ;)) I built an oversized step stool thing that cut the distance into two steps and it worked like a charm. Nothing fancy, just sturdy with a non-slip mat on top for sure footing.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
When we had a very high king size bed, we had an ottoman that sat at the foot of the bed. It helped our 3 goldens jump into bed with us. How I miss those days!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts