Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kim
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old puppy and sometimes she is super on a walk and other times she hangs off the back of my coat, rips my jeans and comes close to drawing blood. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get her to stop this behavior?

·
Kristy
10,200 Posts
She is a normal Golden puppy, doing what they do. The way to get her to stop is to use the leash to control her, take along treats and/or a small stuffed toy to distract her and redirect her with and tell her to knock it off when she starts putting teeth on you. That kind of naughtiness can be sign that she is bored and trying to play and entertain herself. You may need to try shorter walks, incorporate more play time into her routine and also start working on obedience commands and rewarding with treats to keep her attention and focus for short periods on walks. She is a new baby and it's your job to teach her what you expect on walks. She has a very short attention span now. Don't expect too much. Redirect and be firm and consistent.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am at 14 weeks with Stuart, he is still nipping clothes and making skin contact. He has draw blood where I yank my hand out of his mouth or he had bad aim trying to take a toy. He does not bite down much anymore unless he is real excited. It takes Lots of patience and training, they grow out of it... My hands and arms are starting to heal up.

PS: I don't plan on buying any clothes until about the 5 month period when the adult teeth are in..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts