Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy is starting to nip at our pant legs when we are running and playing in the yard. I am attempting to tell him no and correct it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I don't want him to grow up to do this. Is it just a puppy stage or is there some good way of correcting it that I can do?

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Ugh, I HATED when Mojo would do this. It was summer when Mojo went through this awful stage, so we wore shorts most of the time. He would always tug on them. Drove. Me. Nuts.

I'm pretty sure it's just a puppy thing.

Eventually we would just carry around a toy, so if he started tugging we could quickly replace our clothing for his toy. It worked, he stopped doing it. Not sure if it was the toy that helped or just him growing out of it.

Good luck and don't lose your pants! We lost our shorts a couple of times LOL!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Charlie does this ALL the time. It drives us nuts too!!! I have three yr old twins and they started hiking up their pant legs just so that they did not have a puppy hanging from them! I have been trying to distract him with a toy after telling him no. He actually does seem to be improving. I am sure it is a puppy thing.....or maybe that is wishful thinking??!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bailey did this until she was probably 3 - 3 1/2 months old. Now at almost 5 months, she's pretty good at home, but she still tries to nip at my 3 year old when he's walking around. And on walks she gets 2-3 times crazy and jumps up on me and tries to bite my clothes and I get most of the time a hole, if I am just wearing a shirt... I hope this craziness will soon stop. I clearly tell her "no bite" and I redirect her by giving commands, and usually that stops it, until a few minutes later she does it again.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Just a puppy stage, they do get better as they get a little older.

Chloe would pull down some of my pants....glad she stopped doing that..LOL

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It's a puppy stage. One of my least favorite. But you do still need to correct and redirect so that Murphy learns not do to it.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
We taught Bailey not to do this and it took about two weeks of consistancy. I also made sure when we were playing with her, we'd have a large stuffed animal for her to sink her teeth into.

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Sam's doing that now, and we've had him 24 hours LOL! But, Coby did it, too. Just a puppy phase. We're redirecting Sam when he does it. If he starts nipping at our pant legs, we give him a toy. It works, for about a minute! I know if we're consistent, he'll get the message. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts