Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Nipping and Other Annoying Behaviors-help!

4K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  LaurJen 
#1 ·
Augie has started some annoying behaviors (he's about 4.5 months old now) and I need advice on how to deal with them. I apologize in advance for writing a novel, but I want to give as much info as possible.

By way of background, we got him at 7 weeks and tried to do everything correctly right from the beginning. We bought him from a reputable breeder whose parents had the most wonderful temperaments. He's had to work for anything he's gotten (example: sit-stay before he can eat). We discouraged play biting. He spent the entire summer being socialized with dozens and dozens of kids, as well as our own. He is not food/toy/bone possessive.

I'm home with him all day. We go for walks, we go to the park, we play, I take him to the pet store, he started obedience classes, we practice our commands. He is a doll! He is friendly and non-aggressive with every person and dog we meet. I take him to pick up my daughter at school and he will sit and not break position (even though he is excited) as the kids file past him. He'll even sit as a whole crowd gathers around to pet him. Everywhere we go people remark on how well-trained he is. He is well-exercised and not bored.

So what's the problem?

About a month or so ago, Augie started nipping at our clothes--pulling at a sleeve or pants leg. He mostly did it when he was excited and/or wanted to play. We of course discouraged it and he would respond nicely to the "drop it" command. In the past week, this behavior has escalated and it only happens when my husband comes home from work or has the day off..

The nipping of the clothes has gotten worse and more aggressive. He won't stop it when you tell him not to, and will only come back at you harder. (For the record, it's not "viciousness"--he thinks he's playing). The only thing that gets him to stop is to tether him in the kitchen for a "time out."

Friday night was the worst behavior I've ever seen. A dog who was the sweetest, most obedient thing all day turned into a psycho dog when my husband got home. His clothes nipping (and he nips at both of us) was accompanied by snapping. Snapping! He was doing it in the air, not "at" my husband, but that's all the same in my book. I think my jaw practically dropped on the ground when I saw this. He got a correction, and a time out. He then proceeded to jump on the couch. He has never been allowed on the couch nor made any attempt to do so before, but there he was. Even more disturbing, he wouldn't get off when I told him to. I had to physically pick him up and move him. He then ran behind the couch and in literally two seconds, ripped a hole in our nice carpet.

I was so shocked by this. Snapping, nipping, not listening, ripping the carpet?? What the heck?? Saturday was no better. He basically spent his whole indoor time in time outs, because whenever he was let off he'd either jump on the couch, bite us, or return to the hole he had made in the carpet. And I mean continuously do these things, like he was possessed. I never even had a toddler who would act like this!

So please, if you can, offer some insights and suggestions. I'd be especially interested in hearing if others have gone through the same thing. We just can't figure out what to do. Is tethering him in the kitchen appropriate? His crate is upstairs, and only used for sleeping. (We don't tether him and then leave. We are right there. But he has to be restrained somehow because he's biting us and it hurts.) Why is he doing this and what does it have to do with my husband being home? My husband is a perfectly nice guy who adores Augie! He has never hit or abused our pup in any way, shape, or form. He doesn't play tug-of-war, wrestling, or other dominant-aggressive games with the dog, either.

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#30 ·
I am no expert but I think he could use a dog playmate.

I did not read anything that is not normal young dog behavior---

I know this is not want you want to hear....lol...but have you considered a second dog? I just think dogs do better when they have dog friends.

If not--this best way to stop a behavior is before it starts--you might consider keeping the baby on leash so when Hubby comes home you can do a down as he walks in.

As I said--I am far from expert--I am still working with my girl trying to get her to not jump on my grandsons--she is like OCD when it comes to kids. I am not making much progress...

#32 ·
Puppies are tricky though--they go through that whole preteen and teenager phase--like the 11 year old that makes you want to pull your hair out.

Everything I have read says to expect rebellious behavior. Testing limits.

Don't loose hope. But do make sure that no one is accidentally reinforcing the behavior.

#35 ·
I know what you mean njb! I'm the proud owner of an 11 year old and a puppy! I can tell you that right now the puppy is the angel....

No problem with food but now and than Amber still GRRRRR when we give her a NEW toy (so we don't anymore) she no longer doesn't it with the old ones.

#38 ·
Augie has started some annoying behaviors (he's about 4.5 months old now) and I need advice on how to deal with them. I apologize in advance for writing a novel, but I want to give as much info as possible.
By way of background, we got him at 7 weeks and tried to do everything correctly right from the beginning. We bought him from a reputable breeder whose parents had the most wonderful temperaments. He's had to work for anything he's gotten (example: sit-stay before he can eat). We discouraged play biting. He spent the entire summer being socialized with dozens and dozens of kids, as well as our own. He is not food/toy/bone possessive.
I'm home with him all day. We go for walks, we go to the park, we play, I take him to the pet store, he started obedience classes, we practice our commands. He is a doll! He is friendly and non-aggressive with every person and dog we meet. I take him to pick up my daughter at school and he will sit and not break position (even though he is excited) as the kids file past him. He'll even sit as a whole crowd gathers around to pet him. Everywhere we go people remark on how well-trained he is. He is well-exercised and not bored.
So what's the problem?
About a month or so ago, Augie started nipping at our clothes--pulling at a sleeve or pants leg. He mostly did it when he was excited and/or wanted to play. We of course discouraged it and he would respond nicely to the "drop it" command. In the past week, this behavior has escalated and it only happens when my husband comes home from work or has the day off..
The nipping of the clothes has gotten worse and more aggressive. He won't stop it when you tell him not to, and will only come back at you harder. (For the record, it's not "viciousness"--he thinks he's playing). The only thing that gets him to stop is to tether him in the kitchen for a "time out."
Friday night was the worst behavior I've ever seen. A dog who was the sweetest, most obedient thing all day turned into a psycho dog when my husband got home. His clothes nipping (and he nips at both of us) was accompanied by snapping. Snapping! He was doing it in the air, not "at" my husband, but that's all the same in my book. I think my jaw practically dropped on the ground when I saw this. He got a correction, and a time out. He then proceeded to jump on the couch. He has never been allowed on the couch nor made any attempt to do so before, but there he was. Even more disturbing, he wouldn't get off when I told him to. I had to physically pick him up and move him. He then ran behind the couch and in literally two seconds, ripped a hole in our nice carpet.
I was so shocked by this. Snapping, nipping, not listening, ripping the carpet?? What the heck?? Saturday was no better. He basically spent his whole indoor time in time outs, because whenever he was let off he'd either jump on the couch, bite us, or return to the hole he had made in the carpet. And I mean continuously do these things, like he was possessed. I never even had a toddler who would act like this!
So please, if you can, offer some insights and suggestions. I'd be especially interested in hearing if others have gone through the same thing. We just can't figure out what to do. Is tethering him in the kitchen appropriate? His crate is upstairs, and only used for sleeping. (We don't tether him and then leave. We are right there. But he has to be restrained somehow because he's biting us and it hurts.) Why is he doing this and what does it have to do with my husband being home? My husband is a perfectly nice guy who adores Augie! He has never hit or abused our pup in any way, shape, or form. He doesn't play tug-of-war, wrestling, or other dominant-aggressive games with the dog, either.
Thanks for your help!
LaurJen - I was really happy to read your message, because your story is a mirror image to mine and Marley has been doing the same thing! Last night my brother was over and he actually snapped at the air over and over after being removed from his clothes. Like yours, Marley is from a reputable breeder and is in most ways an amazing dog. He loves kids, other dogs, cats, people etc.. His trainer told me last week she thinks it's an adolescence issue. She have the advice of tethering for severe misbehavior and to always make him follow through on the last command given. She said (and I'm sure you already know) this is the prime time that dogs are given up becuase of this behavior that seems to come out of no where. So, we're just trying to be patient, continuing with obedience and remembering that this is a stage. Margaritas help too. :)

#39 ·
Just another thought... Augie is 4 1/2 months right? Marley is about 5 1/2 months and in the last two weeks the behavior has gotten A LOT better. He was doing all the stuff you mentioned, ripping clothes, nipping with corrections etc.. I've only ever fostered puppies for a few weeks at a time. My one other puppy was a pom as a teenager and he died of a heart condition while being neutered at at 16 weeks (byb.) So a lot of what Marley has done and does do is stuff I've only read about, not things I've experienced first hand. It's been hard. I choose a Golden for the personality, got a good breeder and thought I was doing everything right, so his behavior was difficult to deal with. He's been losing teeth like crazy, and with activity and consistency his bad behaviors have lessened dramatically recently. I'm sure as he grows, matures (and gets neutered) things will only get better, for both our babies!

#40 ·
Hi MarleyLove,

Augie is almost 5 months old now. I actually hesitated about writing about this issue, but I'm glad I did because it made me feel better that this wasn't unusual behavior... and I hoped it might help other people who were going through the same thing (and it was nice to know we weren't alone!). We were really stunned at his behavior last weekend, especially the snapping at the air. We couldn't figure out what we were doing wrong to make him act like that. But... he's much better already. If he's being particularly bitey and obnoxious he gets a time out on a tether in the kitchen--I think he is getting the message. Now where is that margarita? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.