Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old puppy, Cody!! He is the cutest "baby Boy." He is a nipper though. He has ripped ruined more shirts than I care to count. I have 3 girls. In the morning when they come down for school he gets so excited to see them and starts jumping up. He grabs the sleeve of their shirts and then it rips. I have tried telling him, "no bite," but then he just tries to nip at me. I have to be honest it hurts.. He is just starting to lose his baby teeth. Will is adult teeth be soo sharp? I also bought a muzzle for him and put it on him in the am before the girls leave for school and then I put it back on when they 1st get home from school until he calms down.

Any other things I should be doing?

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood, I don't think a muzzle is the answer.

Your puppy will grow out of it and you are right to say NO, but i think training is the answer.

They do get over it but be firm they will learn.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Congrats on your new pup- he is beautiful. They can be very trying when they have those little sharks teeth! It sounds to me that your pup is testing his boundaries and views your daughters as littermates. We went through the same thing with Tucker when he was a pup. He was constantly nipping at all of us until he could figure out where he fit in to our family "pack". Does your puppy know any basic commands? Is he in an obedience class? Does he get exercised/walked daily? The lack of this structure will compound any behavior issue - in this case nipping you may have. Without knowing the whole situation, it is hard to give you guidance, but you will find everyone is very helpful here. I can tell you what worked for us:

1. Having appropriate things for your puppy to chew on. Like Kongs, Nylabones and frozen knotted dishrags.
2. Redirecting your pup to chew on the right things when he starts to nip.
3. Going to obedience class (positive reinforcement/praise based). This really helped to establish who is the leader of your pack- YOU! Plus, it tires your pup out. A tired pup is a good pup!
4. Making your pup work for his food - google "Nothing in Life is Free" (NILF) This will further reinforce who is in charge.
5. Have your children take turns feeding your pup, and make him earn his dinner with sit and down stays, shake, etc. Make it fun. It took my 8 yr old son about a month of feeding and working with Tucker before Tucker understood that my son was the boss. My son got nipped constantly that first month, just as you describe.
6. Lose the muzzle. I personally think there is no need to muzzle a 4 mo old puppy. You are sending the wrong signals to the dog.

Hope this helps. Keep firing away with your questions. You will get lots of help here. I promise.

Oh- their adult teeth are nowhere near as sharp as those puppy teeth- so you have that to look forward to!

·
Registered
217 Posts
She is Darling and looks ornery!

I think they all do this. Ours is younger than yours and he does. Our last one did it. It is something they have to outgrow. We tell him NO and usually shove another toy in this mouth. It just takes time. Since ours is 9 weeks old, I know it will get worse before it gets better. Although this new pup is not as bad as I remember our last one being.

Not sure I have an opinion on the muzzle. We never did that. My fear is that it may have an adverse effect some how, but I don't know.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sadly, we are in the same situation as you are. Although, Luck is 1 year old. We adopted him when he was 9 months old (with no training whatsoever). Anyways, He is getting a little better but like yours Luck LOVES long sleeve shirts. He will aggrivate my two young ones every morning!

So what I do to at least minimize this: 1) he goes to classes 2) Exercise the crap out of him (Although I am still trying to find a reasonable option for off leash time with him since he REFUSES to play in our backyard?)

Also, we have taught him chase the bone. He gets his toy we chase him! Anyways. he loves it and now when he starts biting we say "get your bone". He will drop everything and go find his bone!

If worse comes to worse we have to put him in timeout. Sometimes it just gets out of control and there is no stopping him!

Good Luck.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Can you manage his space and access to the girls with baby gates, a crate or an Xpen?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far everything sounds good...we do get him outside to play and I'm really good about getting him out for a long walk 2x a day and we do have a fenced back yard that he can get out in a run...
I do give him Kongs,nylabone (which by the way he actually started to eat) so I had to get rid of it..I do like the frozen dish towel because he loves ice..
I know that I have to do better with training him..he does sit for treats and will sit for his food..
I'm up for any new suggestions..

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Hank is 4.5 months and my 4 y.o. granddaughter lives here so I know how crazy things can be. Sometimes it seem like a 3-ring circus around here. When it gets likes that we put Hank in the gated laundry room to settle down.

I don't think a muzzle is appropriate for this behavior, Cody is a puppy not a dangerous dog. Puppies, especially goldens, nip and use their mouths a lot. He will outgrow it. It's not bad behavior it's just normal behavior. One thing that has helped us is to have stuffed toys everywhere, when he starts nipping we stick a toy in his mouth.

We laugh when we come across old clothes that we had when our last golden was a puppy. Hang in there.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
HE IS SO CUTE!! :D

In addition to the great tips mentioned here, I just wanted to add that the muzzle might also not be a good idea because, as a short term solution, it doesn't help you teach him bite inhibition, which is how a dog learns that their teeth HURT us (and the difference between a "soft mouth" vs. a bite!) The basic idea (though I am still trying to put this into practice with my 4 month old puppy, BTW!) is that every one of those "bite" opportunities with their little shark puppy teeth is an opportunity for you to show your pup that (a) it hurts you ("OUCH!") and (b) it stops the "fun" (ignore him, or move to another room). While having the muzzle on definitely stops the pain in the short term, it is good to teach your pup this NOW... rather than when he has much bigger teeth! :)

IMO, if your family is in a rush/busy in the morning and not having time to directly deal with the biting (totally understandable, you can't have your attention on your puppy every minute), then he should be in his crate or behind baby gates until your attention can be better focused on him. (Although I know this isn't always possible, since if you are all leaving for the day then you probably don't want him to spend any more time in his crate than necessary!)

Here is one link someone else posted on GRF a while back about bite inhibition, there are many other threads about this topic though :)

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualbiteinhibitionarticle.htm

Keep up the good work! :) You have come to the right place for advice.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think Oscar's mom has the right idea. I had posted about our "Mr. Biterman" in another thread. Our Duffy is 9 weeks old and bite bite bite. For awhile I was just saying NO and getting angry at him. But I read about bite inhibition and have been doing that type of training over the past couple of days and DANG, it seems to be working!

I allow him to mouth my hand, but when it gets painful, if he bites too hard, I say OUCH. He always releases right away and gives a little lick. He has definitely become MUCH more gentle with his mouth. My 13yo son was doing it another way and actually making a loud puppy yelping sound when Duff would bite him too hard. And Duffy would immediately release.

So I''m in total agreement with the bite inhibition training.

Kris

·
Registered
820 Posts
So far everything sounds good...we do get him outside to play and I'm really good about getting him out for a long walk 2x a day and we do have a fenced back yard that he can get out in a run...
I do give him Kongs,nylabone (which by the way he actually started to eat) so I had to get rid of it..I do like the frozen dish towel because he loves ice..
I know that I have to do better with training him..he does sit for treats and will sit for his food..
I'm up for any new suggestions..

I forgot! I do not know if anyone else would support this but this is what I do for my kids. Every night they put a few treats on their nightstand (they sleep with closed doors). When they wake up they put the treats in their pockets. When Luck is going bonkers (which is every AM) they ask him to sit (or some other odd trick they like. Collin's favorite is pout and Kasey's is high five). Anyways, that usually calms him down enough, plus he is a little more behaved knowing food is involved!

Also, Luck is terrible when we come home (bf works from home so he is already out). We have treats ready when we walk in the door. Ask for sit (or whatever) he forgets how he wants to bite us.....sort of!

Good Luck!

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I allow him to mouth my hand, but when it gets painful, if he bites too hard, I say OUCH. He always releases right away and gives a little lick. He has definitely become MUCH more gentle with his mouth.
Wow this is taking Oscar much longer to figure out :doh: :p: but good for you!!!! that is really fantastic progress!!

I do not know if anyone else would support this but this is what I do for my kids. Every night they put a few treats on their nightstand (they sleep with closed doors). When they wake up they put the treats in their pockets. When Luck is going bonkers (which is every AM) they ask him to sit (or some other odd trick they like.
Oh man I don't know what I would do without these type of strategies!!! :bowl: For example, when Oscar is going NUTSO on me in our apartment hallway (biting/jumping/crazies on the leash), I now ask him to SIT and WAIT and then walk ALL the way down to my door and unlock it, and then call him to COME once it is open and I put down my keys! And of course he gets a treat for that good behavior :) and everyone is happier...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts