Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piper is 4 months old now. Her nighttime routine is - potty break at 11pm and then bedtime. Sometimes she sleeps until 5 or 6 am. Sometimes she whines at 1 or 2 am, so we take her out for a potty. She doesn't "go" much. And then she wants to go out again at 4 or 5 am.
Several nights she has slept from 11pm/12 until 5 /6 am.
What is this 1/2 a.m. waking time ?? Is she just bored in her kennel and wants some attention ??
What are your thoughts and suggestions ?

·
Kristy
9,934 Posts
Piper has gotten herself a nice little gig going - whenever she wakes up and feels lonesome in the middle of the night you get up and spend a little time with her. Take up her water dish an hour or two before bedtime and be sure she's eaten her evening meal by 5 pm or so and stop getting up in the night with her unless you know she's sick. She is way old enough to sleep 7 or 8 hours overnight if she's getting adequate exercise and playtime during the day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Piper has gotten herself a nice little gig going - whenever she wakes up and feels lonesome in the middle of the night you get up and spend a little time with her. Take up her water dish an hour or two before bedtime and be sure she's eaten her evening meal by 5 pm or so and stop getting up in the night with her unless you know she's sick. She is way old enough to sleep 7 or 8 hours overnight if she's getting adequate exercise and playtime during the day.
Thank You ! That's just what I wanted to hear. We were beginning think this also. Loved your answer. "She's got a good gig." LOL

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
Piper is 4 months old now. Her nighttime routine is - potty break at 11pm and then bedtime. Sometimes she sleeps until 5 or 6 am. Sometimes she whines at 1 or 2 am, so we take her out for a potty. She doesn't "go" much. And then she wants to go out again at 4 or 5 am.
Several nights she has slept from 11pm/12 until 5 /6 am.
What is this 1/2 a.m. waking time ?? Is she just bored in her kennel and wants some attention ??
What are your thoughts and suggestions ?
We did this too, until one night I thought "she's old enough to sleep through the night, why am I getting up?" I knew she had peed and pooped before bed so she was good. So we ignored the whining which lasted just a few minutes, she went back to sleep and we all got up at 6. (530 to 6 is normal for us) Since then, she sleeps through the night. Once in awhile she might wake up and whine for a minute, but she resituates on her bed and crashes out again. Mostly she's just happily sleeping in her squishy bed in the kennel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did this too, until one night I thought "she's old enough to sleep through the night, why am I getting up?" I knew she had peed and pooped before bed so she was good. So we ignored the whining which lasted just a few minutes, she went back to sleep and we all got up at 6. (530 to 6 is normal for us) Since then, she sleeps through the night. Once in awhile she might wake up and whine for a minute, but she resituates on her bed and crashes out again. Mostly she's just happily sleeping in her squishy bed in the kennel.

Thanks !! That's our plan for tonight and onward !

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just like a spoiled baby, if they have clean pants (except in dogs they are old enough to sleep all through the night without peeing) and a full tummy, let em' cry! Further more, give his crate a good rattle and tell him quite! Also, an old trick, a few minutes before bed time get out his favorite toy, get down on the floor with him, and get him to playing, get him going as much as you can. In around 15minutes of this he will stop to rest...scroop him up, take him outside to pee...and then to bed! Out last dog, the first time we tried this he slept two extra hours....

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
And, the only thing I will add to these great posts, is that if she does cry, just firmly but gently "Go to sleep" one time. Don't respond over and over. If she continues to cry, let her cry. Give it at least 20 minutes, then say "Go to sleep" again. (I am guessing here that the kennel is in your room). If the kennel is in your room, don't get up or even move much. If the kennel is out in the living room, get up quietly, keep the lights off, and say it from as far away as you can for her to hear you.

Reactions: PiperRoseMom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our boy Teddy-- I have been getting up taking him out when he made it obvious...1:30am, 3:30am sometimes. The first night his crate was too big and he pooped in it! So I made a divider. He has been getting over giardia and coccidia, so I didnt want to restrict his water intake either.
Anyway he is 12 weeks now and has slept through the night. Now I know he is able to do so, I'll be less inclined to take him out for a walk at 0130. Its also cold and snowy out, so he's no fan of that either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't got a puppy, so I don't really know much. However, I read through the responses and I agree with what everyone is saying. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
All good ideas.
Years ago an old trainer told me about this trick. Give the puppy a juice glass of milk at bedtime. The calcium helps them to sleep and it's enough carbs to keep them from getting hungry before breakfast. He said, it works on his kids also. I don't know if it is healthy or not, but has worked for me and I have not had any digestive problems with the small amount of milk given to my dog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And, the only thing I will add to these great posts, is that if she does cry, just firmly but gently "Go to sleep" one time. Don't respond over and over. If she continues to cry, let her cry. Give it at least 20 minutes, then say "Go to sleep" again. (I am guessing here that the kennel is in your room). If the kennel is in your room, don't get up or even move much. If the kennel is out in the living room, get up quietly, keep the lights off, and say it from as far away as you can for her to hear you.
Kennel is in next room, so at least I can move around my own room and the rest of the house QUIETLY !!
The first night she cried at little at 1:30am but then went back to sleep.
Last night she cried at 1:30am - we ignored her - then she cried a long time at 4:30 - so I did take her out for a quick "no nonsense" potty break (not talking, no treat to go back into kennel, no drink, no lights on)
Tonight we will ignore everything from 11:30pm to 6am. And also from then on. I think we worry too much.
AND she is our 6th Golden !!! You'd think we'd know better !! But we haven't had a puppy since 2005.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yep, I understand....been there, done that...with our Golden's and our 3 kids! Each time it feels different, so sometimes you have to make the same mistakes just to be sure they are alright. A good plan you have now...

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Kennel is in next room, so at least I can move around my own room and the rest of the house QUIETLY !!
The first night she cried at little at 1:30am but then went back to sleep.
Last night she cried at 1:30am - we ignored her - then she cried a long time at 4:30 - so I did take her out for a quick "no nonsense" potty break (not talking, no treat to go back into kennel, no drink, no lights on)
Tonight we will ignore everything from 11:30pm to 6am. And also from then on. I think we worry too much.
AND she is our 6th Golden !!! You'd think we'd know better !! But we haven't had a puppy since 2005.
The 4:30am no nonsense out was probably the right thing to do - and making it no nonsense was perfect. Yes, at 5 months, she SHOULD be able to go all night. But if you felt her 4:30 cry was a bit different, better safe than sorry. Did she settle right back down and go back to sleep when you came back in?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 4:30am no nonsense out was probably the right thing to do - and making it no nonsense was perfect. Yes, at 5 months, she SHOULD be able to go all night. But if you felt her 4:30 cry was a bit different, better safe than sorry. Did she settle right back down and go back to sleep when you came back in?

Yes, she did. :)
And last night (the 3rd of ignoring her sleep time whines) she went to bed at 11:30 - whined at 3am (we ignored) - she settled until 7am when I woke her up. :) :) We think she might be getting "the picture". 🤞😉.
Thanks for your reply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts