Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! A week ago we’ve got our beautiful Lola when she was 8 weeks. We started a potty training with puppy pads because just had 1 vaccination done + we live in the flat and thought it would be easier. But she ignored them, done her “business” wherever and nothing helped she just couldn’t get to the pads. On the other hand, the outside training went really well (decided to try to see her reaction) and we stick to outside toilet now. She’s doing really well, sometimes even goes to the door before she need a toilet and if we are in my husband mum’s house- she scratched the door and wants to go out. But I don’t know what to do at night then. For now we leave only 1 room + corridor available for her to use, she’s using corridor as a toilet and the whole floor is covered with puppy pads because otherwise it would be a nightmare to clean in the morning 😄. Not sure how to decrease amount or accidents at night ( there are almost 0 during the day, we keep an eye on her) to make the training more effective. I think because she does her toilet inside in the house, sometimes she doesn’t even ask to go out, or when we are outside she wants to get in to do everything she needs to do. She doesn’t wake us up at night and her night schedule varies (sometimes 2am, 4am). Should we start waking up 2 times at night to keep her using outside as a toilet as much as possible? 😣

Overall I think she’s a legend and for such a short amount of time she’s doing very well, but want to help her a bit more

Will appreciate any advice.
Thanks 😊

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Don't make her ask. Just take her out.
If she asks, praise, and then of course take her.

At night, put her in a crate. You are giving her too much room and puppies do not have inborn knowledge on letting their humans know they need to go out, nor can they hold it if there is a good place to call potty in the room sized area. So put her in a small crate, by your bed, and I bet she will wake you.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,832 Posts
Welcome, Congratulations on Lola.

I am not of fan of puppy pads and would never even consider using them.

Set up a schedule for taking Lola out every 15-20 minutes regularly and stick with it. When she potties outside, praise her, tell her she's a good girl for going potty outside.

Get a crate, put it in your room at night so she's close to you. If she needs to go out during the night, take her out then put her back in the crate. As she gets older, she will need to go out less during the night, but it's going to take time.

Anytime you are going out or can't watch her, put her in the crate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys !!! Got her a crate today, will start getting used to it shortly. Her toilet schedule now is different a bit, she’s going out every 30-60 mins, if I take her more often she just doesn’t do anything, so come back out when she’s sniffing around. Will keep an eye on her and will try a crate training, hopefully it will help at night!

Thanks again ♥

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,832 Posts
Putting her in the crate at night should help a lot.......

You can start out by putting treats in the crate for her to find, you can also feed her in the crate, this will help her to get use to being in it.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Thank you guys !!! Got her a crate today, will start getting used to it shortly. Her toilet schedule now is different a bit, she’s going out every 30-60 mins, if I take her more often she just doesn’t do anything, so come back out when she’s sniffing around. Will keep an eye on her and will try a crate training, hopefully it will help at night!

Thanks again ♥
I dk what size you got- she will likely need a 36 long crate as an adult but even that is too big for her at night right now. Fortunately crates are cheap nowadays so you can get a 24 pretty inexpensively. That'll be just big enough for her to turn around in and sleep in without making a potty area. Also, much as you might be tempted to get her a pad for it- don't. Puppies seem to know pads absorb pee and will use a pad as a potty too. Just use the easily washed out tray that comes in it. Later, when you go to the 36, then spend the money on a good pad. I personally love two - Primo Pads for their very longevity (my oldest ones are as old as their entree into dogs- 10 at least) and I love for the ease of cleaning the WashNZip- which you can get a 15% discount on by using the code PRISM or the code GRCA. Those completely unzip and the whole shebang can be washed. No hugging a dirty bed to pull on a clean cover!

·
golden lover
57 Posts
We didn't use a crate with Loki, but when he was little he was gated right next to my side of the bed, hemmed in by the bed, the gate, my nightstand, and the wall. We set it up so there was just enough room for his bed. When he needed to pee, he whined and it was off to the races. Our bedroom is on the second floor, so we often would carry him with a towel to be on the safe side, but he never seemed to pee when he was being carried.

He never had an accident in his bed with that arrangement.

Gradually, we moved the gate farther away from the bed so he had a little more room. (We put a couple of towels down to protect the carpet.) By then, he knew to ask and we never had a problem. Now he is in our room but has free access to go where he wants.

Whether you use a crate or not, you do need to restrict the area so Lola doesn't have the option of peeing and then not having to be in the pee.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A good way to go for night runs is to have the puppy in their crate, and carry them from the crate to the pee pad when you take them over to it for a pee break.

I would also say to have one area designated as the pee pad spot for inside peeing, so that way they start to learn that there is one place to go if they need to bathroom inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is crazy! Our puppy is named Lola, just got her on Saturday at 8 weeks old! We put her crate in our bedroom and it’s been going pretty well. The first night she woke us up a few times, but these past couple of nights she’s been sleeping almost through the whole night! We are sticking to a rigid schedule with her, and keep water to a minimum a couple hours before bed and always take her out a couple times after drinking last and bed. We also got her a big stuffed puppy that has a little heartbeat and put that in the crate with her, she seems to really like it. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice! She understands that the whole bedroom is her space to sleep (she sleeps sometimes on my side of the bed, sometimes on my husband's or somewhere else on the floor). We've had a few days when she doesn't wake up for toilet at night and does it literally 5mins before we wake up (she's very quiet, never wakes us up) and a few nights when we managed to wake up with her just before she goes to the toilet, so we have a full 24 hours of no accidents inside. Trying to train her more to go to the door when she wants to go to the toilet during the day + play a lot so she would sleep mostly through the whole night and maybe we are lucky enough to catch her first thing in the morning..restricting smaller area didn't work so far, she's strong and breaks down everything we build for her. She doesn't mind being in the crate when it's open and I'm around but as soon as I close her she yells and barks like insane and even 5 mins like that make me go crazy so I can't imagine for now leaving her in the crate for the whole night :( (of course..after a gradual training)..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow!
maybe that was our mistake that we haven't bought the crate within the first 2 weeks. She doesn't like it at all, even If I sit next to the crate, but it's closed, she goes insane while she's inside. So far giving her 5 mins p\day, no changes in the behaviour..will see
But she sleeps more at night now. sometimes she does 1 poop and pee at night on puppy pads (we designated the corridor for that and she gets it). During the day - taking her out successfully (not without a few accidents for now, unfortunately). So yeah.. hoping that either she'll start understanding crate more or will start sleeping through the whole night.

·
Registered
30 Posts
use tough love with the crate eventually she will settle down it took me 4 days for Ollie to get used to the crate but he was in it probably 60% of the time as if I could not eagle eye him he was in the crate even just to nap by the third night he was sleeping through the night (he was 9 weeks when I brought him home) and slept in the crate til he was 7 months old. Set a schedule and stick to it, and gradually add additional freedom in small maybe 15-20 minute increments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have had several Goldens over the years. Early on we learned about 'Crate Training' as noted above, if done correctly these little creatures will learn to love their crate. They naturally 'like to be in a den', the crate, in time, becomes their safe place. I strongly recommend that nothing be in the crate with the pup like a pad, blanket, or stuffed animal. Puppies will chew anything and everything and eat some of it. This is very dangerous and when isolated in the crate, they get bored and will start chewing. It can cause a blockage in the pups gut, which will require surgery!

The puppy should only have enough room to turnaround in the crate. They are smart and will instinctively not make a mess where they sleep, so if the crate is to big, they will just move over away from where they sleep, and let it go....! If the crate you already purchased is to big, based on the above requirements, just put a box(s) at the end of the new crate (note some manufactures make an adjustable separator for their crate), leaving just enough room to turnaround. In time the pup may start chewing the box, when this happens get a new box or get a plastic box at an office supply store. Keep the crate in close to where you sleep. When you hear the pup moving around at night, they are saying I got to go and no where to do it! Take them outside and use the same place every time outside, give them a command 'outside' every time you take them out, in time they will go on command. If you prefer having a schedule of every two hours or so, is ok also, but I prefer letting the dog tell me when, as this will teach them to let us know vs. expecting to go out all the time. I am not a fan of using pads. Puppy's will not naturally go on a pad! Puppy's will play with and/or chew a pad, and again eat some of the padding, which can be dangerous. I know it is hard in your case, but teaching them to go outside is the quickest and safest way!

Finally, our last pup was slower than others we have had, to learn from crate training to go outside. So we could not get a full nights sleep! We finally had an idea that before she went to bed, we would get out her favorite toy and have a wild play session around the inside of the house. She was visibly worn out within 10-15 minutes. We then took her outside to do her duty, the to bed in her crate. The first night we tried this she slept to more hours that ever before. We got 6 hours of sleep. That was our breakthrough moment. We continued that routine until she regularly was sleeping from 10pm till 7:00am!

I am glad you started crate training. Some of our dogs learned all of this very quickly, maybe 3-4 weeks. Others, took 3-4 months! Most importantly, once they are trained they seldom have an accident. And the crate is perfect for travel and staying at dog friendly motels, visiting friends and family. ect. remember leave the crate door open at all times the pup is not in it. In time you will find the pup sleeping in this 'safe place'.

I think it is ok to use a small treat to encourage the pup to go in the crate, but once they learn, stop using treats and use praise! I do not feed my dog in the crate. Dogs don't naturally sleep where the eat, so I keep the crate as a save den for the dog to go to when they want to be left alone and rest.

Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts