Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting complicated at my house. My dogs do not have full run of the house at night. We block off the back of the upstairs hallway so the dogs have access to our room and the other back bedroom (very little furniture). Our bedroom is not big, it is I think 10 x 12 and we have a king bed, one long dresser and one night stand. That is all the furniture our room can hold. We took out night stand #2 when Gabby came along. And one wall of our room is my closet, and a half bath.

We were ok with sleeping room, until Gabby. Gabby's crate came out of our room just before she got sick last spring. During the summer Belle gets hot, so she would sleep in the other room. I like that actually lots of room for her to SPREAD out. She is a big dog. Gabby on pred would get too hot too, so she chose to sleep on the hardwood. Now though temps are cooler, and both dogs want a bed.

On my side of the bed we have two large rectangle foam (4") beds with cordura nylon covers. We have had these beds (we have 3 total) since Teddi was a puppy. Indestructible, and easy to clean don't need a ton of washings because you can vacuum and wipe up stuff. The third is on hubby's side of the room, that bed is turned width wise, there is more space. On my side the beds are lengthwise, and wedged between the bed and my dresser a 2'+ width. Teddi claims the bed at the foot of my side, Quinn claims the bed by her daddy, and Belle and Gabby each want the one by my head. No both can NOT fit there. Both Quinn and Gabby could though they are small. So whomever gets there first wins, the other paces around wanting a bed, keeping us from sleeping.

Does anyone else have issues with sleeping arrangements????

Yes we need to get another bed. I know that, thought the woman who made the other 3 was going to make us one. Saw her at Premier in June, she said "I didn't know it was for sure". She never got my confirmation email. I know I sent it, I had my bcc copy. So I resent it after the Premier, and I have YET to hear a word from her, so I guess she is not making us one. Money is tight now since I am not working so we have to make do for now. We do currently have the dogs beds from up north home so we could wash them. So we will use those until we have to take them back. Then I hope to find one similar to the made ones so we can have it fit nice. Lastly I want to get one of those nice sofa style dog beds for our other room in large for Belle, or whomever else might just want to sleep in there.

It's so hard to be popular. :p: All "my" dogs want to sleep by me. We have this past week had one of the dogs in bed with us each night. I want some room again so that can't keep happening. I have a plan for tonight, I hope it works. Night time drama gets old really fast.

·
Kate
21,228 Posts
Ann - my mom made one of those beds for our old guys back when they could no longer get up on the beds. They sell the extra thick foam at Jo Ann Fabrics. Then you can buy the fabric for the cover there (like a pillow case but with a velcro closure). I think it will cost you $40-50? But it comes out cheaper than some of the ortho beds from Foster and Smith which could run you $100+ for something similar.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My goodness what a juggling act. You must be a darling to keep everyone happy!

I can't offer any advice it's thankfully simple in our house, 1 dog = 1 bed in the living room, 1 bed in study, 1 bed in our bedroom, 1 bed in kennel outside, 1 bed in back 4wd, 1 bed for camping! And yet you should see the look if she finds her bed is missing (outside airing)!!!

It blows my mind the asking price of some dog beds! We buy custom cut foam/mattress and either sow up covers or slightly alter fitted bed sheets (her beds are all ridiculous large). It doesn't cost an arm and a leg, is easy to throw her sheets in wash every week or few days in winter and doesn't cost too much!

I'm sure a kick ass mum like you will find the perfect solution/compromise soon enough! I can imagine everyone edging for the prized bed next to mum!!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhhhhhh :curtain: I can't thread a needle. There is NO sewing prowess in me. Not even buttons. So that was why I loved I found someone who made beds.

I am not dolly domestic. Don't cook either.... ask my husband. :p:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
holy cow I don't know how you fit all that in there! Our master bedroom is 12 x 13, we have a king bed, 2 nightstands, and a chest with the tv in front of the bed, with a closet on one wall, sliding door on another, and bathroom on another. With 4 dogs, we only have one XL LL Bean dog bed in the room, which the 2 big dogs take turns sharing and the two little dogs sleep in our bed.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the perfect solution - send one of those beautiful girls to my house for bed every night. lol
Careful what you wish for. We don't jokingly call Gabby a brat. She is hell on wheels. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts