Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family are thinking about getting a golden retriever puppy so I'm gathering as much information as I can and would appreciate as much help as I could get.

I have been looking up crate training so we can teach our puppy to go outside to potty and not do it inside. However I know that it'll only be 8 weeks when we get him and he will be unable to last throughout the whole night without going.

How often should I get up at night to let him out his crate to go outside and potty? Also as he will be 8 weeks should I carry him outside to the place he should potty? Is there anything else I should or shouldn't do at night? And are there any signs he would give me to let me know he needs the toilet (during the day and at night)?

Sorry for the several questions but I appreciate all the help and advice I can get and want to make sure I know as much as I can before we get him.

Thank you so much:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
When we first got Moose and Goose, we woke ourselves up every 2 hours the first week. Then every 4 hours the next week. Then once around 2AM the next week, each night. By the 5th week the were sleeping through the night with no accidents. Sometimes, they will need to be let our every 2 hours for more than a week's worth of night. They are only babies and they bladders are SO small. It will get easier though!!

You will need to pick food and water up at or before 7PM each night depending on when you go to bed, which will allow them enough time between then and bed to release the extra out. We took everything up at 7PM, and we went to bed at 10PM.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Great of you to get the tips now. Will the crate be set up next to you or close enough to you so you can hear them cry? Both of my dogs with crate training let me know they needed to go outside during the night they would whine, bark, or cry. As long as the puppy tells you probably won't have to se an alarm. When you take the puppy out to the same spot say potty potty or whatever word till they go. Treat or praise then take back inside to their kennel. Don't play to much or you will have a puppy thinking 3 am is a good play time. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I may sleep on the couch for the first couple of weeks, until he sleeps through the whole night, as I am afraid I may not hear him from upstairs.

Thank you for your help:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Crate training works best when you have the crate in your bedroom. it also helps keep the pup calm at night as he/she settles into his/her new family.
Our pup slept in a small crate next to the bed. We took him out at 11 and he woke us up one or two times during the night. Middle of the night potty trips are ONLY about that business so we carried him out, put him on a short leash, asked him to "hurry up" and then right back to the crate. With this method, he was crate trained almost immediately (i.e. no accidents in the crate).
It's helpful to not have anything too soft in the crate at night as some pups will pee on soft items!
As he got older, he needed just one "middle of the night" trip and then was able to sleep through the night very easily by the age of 6 or so months.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
We didn't use a crate. We gated part of the kitchen. Chloe slept through the night till about four from the time we got her. Our only issue was because we didn't crate we put a pee pad down at night. She would wake up and before we got downstairs would go on her pad. Within a few days she slept until six. Once my mom realized she was waking us up then going on the pee pad she got up before her usual time to take her outside. Then we were able to get rid of the pee pad pretty quick.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We really lucked our with our Rumple, he took to his crate like nothing and didn't make a peep all night his first night home. For us the crate is in the living/dining room (open concept) and I use it throughout the day to help with potty training, plus when I can't keep an eye on him or need a break.

What I've done with potty training is keep him on a leash inside the house all day (I work from home). I set a timer at first and took him out every hour to the same spot in the yard. If he didn't pee, back in the crate for 20-30 minutes. Back outside to the same spot, rinse, wash, repeat and yes it was exhausting! When he peed outside, it was a huge party with treats. It didn't take long to teach him to pee on command, he uses the same spot in the yard, and he's starting to go to the door to ask to go out. He's 11 weeks, been home 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I once read somewhere that as a general rule of thumb pups can hold their bladder for a maximum of their age in months plus 1. So at 2 months you need to let them potty at least every 3 hours. For the first few nights we went out every 2 hours and then just worked up in half hour incréments from there. I never used a crate. But that's a European thing! Puppys will often need to pee more often during the day.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Make sure the area the pup has in the crate is only large enough so they can turn around. Any more and they will go to the other room and pee! YIKES! If you have a large crate, place a box in the end to make it smaller to start. Or get a smaller crate to start or get one that has a movable divider... all ideas work great!

Lots of good advice already here....so a few added comments..

If the pup pee's or pooh's in the crate, clean it extensively. If they pick up the smell they will do it again, and again, etc. That is another reason to leave nothing in the crate like a towel or pad....

I always trained our pups with the crate next to our bed! Always, they are social animals and have been ripped away from their mom's and siblings...leaving them isolated will only add to your challenges. Also, they will 'stir' or 'whine' when they need to go out...if you are in the room, it will wake you up....that is a good thing. Also, if after you take them out and they pee, you put them back in the crate and they again whine, reach over and shake the kennel and tell them quite. Sometimes this works right away, sometimes it takes a while to teach them to be quite, but it is a training method that will pay dividends later...

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts