Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with their golden acting up and causing trouble the minute you go to sleep? My 8 month old pup, is very good about not chewing on anything other then his toys, never has a problem when i leave him alone during the day or at night (nothing is ever touched or destroyed) he has a number of toys and balls he can play with while i am away. Yet for some reason, the minute my head hits the pillow its game on. Starts chewing on my desk, and usually any kind of textile he can get his hands on, towels, blankets etc.

It only happens when i am in the room , and when i am trying to go to sleep.

I am totally lost on why he does this since he is otherwise totally well behaved.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Sounds like attention-seeking behavior, since he only does it while you're in the room, and obviously not paying attention to him as you're trying to go to sleep. You may want to think about crating him at night, atleast until he understands that nighttime = sleeptime, not playtime.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Does he get sufficient exercise before bed? I know Flora goes NUTS at about 8pm, running around the house, barking, biting me excessively, jumping on furniture... During the day she is pretty much an angel. It could be that your dog doesn't get enough exercise, and so when you're ready to go to bed he's actually ready to come out and play! But it could also be attention seeking behavior. Puppies can be so trying. :p

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Maybe a big playtime before going to bed to help tire him out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Honestly, confine him to an area. I bring Chloe in the bedroom with me. She sleeps on her bed on the floor. She was acting up as well, so this is was our remedy for the issue. So far so good. Chloe is just a tad younger, she will be 8 months in two weeks. (I also tell her night night ever night, so she will understand it's time to go to bed.) I hope that helps. GL, and let me know what you do, I may need other suggestions if she gets wise to it.

I also agree about the excersise. I walk Chloe daily, and then the kids wear her out. KUP. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great responses. Sadly i lent my crate to a friend since i figured i wasn't going to use it anymore (oops)

He gets between 30 mins - 2 hours of exercise a day. Lots of swimming, fetching. It could be a exercise thing but, often times right before i go to bed he will have been sleeping for a hour or two, only after i try to go to sleep does he start with his actions. I will try a short around the block walk before i go to sleep see if that works.

"Sounds like attention-seeking behavior" This is a good point, although he seems to do fine when he is ignored when i am working on PC or cooking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really does sound like attention getting behavior. Who really knows why they do what they do? Imagine if they could talk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say attention seeking behavior too, but where does he sleep?
He has a nice dog bed he uses, however he usually sleeps on the hardwood floor for some reason. Not sure why.

Tried extra exercise before bedtime and giving him lots of attention, but he still tried to chew up the sheets when my head hit the pillow. Looks like i am going to have to start crating him at night when i am going to sleep.

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
Between 8 and 9pm, my boys go at it big-time. I can tell what time of night it is just by their antics.
I send them outside to wrestle, as it's very annoying trying to watch Jack Bauer, (or American Idol) with them going "Raaar Raaar... AAARRRRFFF".
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts