Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just a really quick question and only needs a quick answer if a few of you dont mind giving me your opinion please.

Only had our goldie Seabiscuit a few days, (got her Sunday), shes an absolute darling...we have been using the crate for her to sleep in at night so help toilet train....and has been doing the obvious crying.

If she cries at 2am, or 4am, do you think I should go take her outside incase she's needing the toilet, or should she be left alone to learn to control it?

Please reply as its after 8pm uk time and would like to knwo what to do for tnight...thanks!!

Danny and Isla

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Oh, yes, do take her out...it's not a matter yet of learning to 'hold it'. Puppy bladders are small . She won't be able to hold much. but it will get better with time, I promise! For now you might want to take her water up a couple of hours before bed, and make the last feed ~ 3 hours before bed too.
I'd expect a couple (at least) trips out by morning for the first 2-3 weeks. At least in my humble experience.

You do realize that for every question you ask , we require a 'toll' of 2 pictures...?
:p:
Hahaha, I'm shameless, huh?

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
How old is your new little girl? And, pictures, please? I am not a professional trainer although we do have them here on the forum. And, I've done many things wrong I'm sure. However, because no one has given you any idea yet, let me just say that if it were my "new puppy" and she's just a tiny puppy that I would probably take her out once for a couple of nights.

Remember, though, to take away drink probably an hour or two before bedtime (?) To start getting her on a pretty good schedule that matches your sleeping habits. And.....congratulations! I'm sure someone else will come along and give you way better ideas and instructions. Good luck!

See, as I was typing, here comes Moverking with the correct way to potty train a puppy lol. I was just guessing, but figured yes - take her out. It was just so long ago since Duke was a puppy and spoiled one at that that I'm sure he got his way with me from day one. haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D Pictures? yes, you are shamfeul, but I love it :p Will add them at end of this post....

She's only just over 8 weeks, had her first jag today, so yeah, just a baby. She's been with us for three nights....first night didnt hear a peep from her at all....second night, only cried when she was in her cage and she was left alone, stopped after 10-15 mins then not a peep all night. Third night (last night) got woken up by heraround midnight I guess, but didnt respond as I thought it was just a cry for attention, she did stop soon after, and she had been out around 10pm for her 'duties'. She then woke us up again at 3.30am, at this point, we thought it best to take her out, and sure enough, pee'd straight away.

Was just a little unsure as to what was 'best practice' for this, thanks for the info, at least I can now expect sleepless nights for the next couple weeks!! lol

Pics as requested:

Thanks for the help!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Can't help you with your question, as my Tess (came home last Friday, so same age as Seabiscuit), slept through the night from the beginning. That may change, of course! I only wanted to say that Seabiscuit is a beautiful puppy!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Aww, she's adorable!

I haven't crated mine at night, so don't think I'll be much help, but previous posts seem to be good advice.

Welcome little Seabiscuit, you are one sweet little one!

·
Registered
306 Posts
same thing happened to us. she would cry every night, but it would get progressively shorter each time. she'll eventually just accept the crate and sleep when you put her inside.

we always took her out right before she went to sleep and right when she woke up. if she wakes you up at 4 am or so crying persistently, you could try to take her out and see if she's a faker trying to get out of the cage or not. :p:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Too young to be expected to hold it all night if she is crying take her to a potty spot.

You will learn the difference between a "let me out because I can cry until you do" and a "I gota go please" cry pretty quickly.

She is very cute.

Might make sure she can see you at night but put a blanket over her crate so it's like a cave, it's more secure for them if it's covered - at least mine liked it better, and they can only see out the front side.

Happy puppy time.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
the formula most folks use is the number of months old they are = the number of hours they can hold it.

an 8 week old is 2 months, so should get outside every 2 hours. at 3 months it goes to 3 hours, etc, etc.

even though it's going to interupt your sleeping for a bit, do give the poor girl a break during the night. you don't want to cause any bladder / UTI issues for her.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This isn't going to be much help because it is conflicting with a lot of the other advice....but we brought Duffy home at 8 weeks and from day one he slept in his crate all night. His last feeding was 6 PM, we took the water up by 8. Last time out was 11 PM and he would be good until 6 AM.

Your pup is adorable! They grow so fast!!

Kris

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Take her out every 2 hours to start. After a week or two , you can try 2 1/2 hours and slowly lengthen the time. Please try to let her out before she starts crying to be out as she will put together crying = you come to her and that will get to be a headache in the future.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh my goodess, she is adorable!! She looks like a real sweetie.

Yes, I'd agree that if she cries, take her out. When Zep was a little peanut, i'd take him out every 2hrs. He'd wake up and start "yawning" loudly and i'd take him out. He peed every time. I figured he was telling me he had to go potty, which was what i wanted, so outside we'd go. :)

The first two or three weeks was the worst for me! I was sleep deprived and so worried about my new puppy, what the heck did i know about raising a puppy?!?! geesh...i was a basket case. But, that quickly went away when i really started to get into a routine with Zep. Routine is good. Have fun!!

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
I've had Hudsen for about six weeks and he is sixteen weeks old now. He cried in the middle of the night a couple of times during the first few weeks. I just make sure to remove his water 2 hours before bedtime and take him out RIGHT before putting him in his crate. Every time he cried in the middle of the night, I took him out and he would go to the bathroom right away. Now he is sleeping about 8 hours and cries as soon as he wakes up because he has to go potty so badly! He occasionally cries when I put him in the crate for the night, but that has gotten MUCHHH better. He has only done it once in the past two weeks!! :) Now, during the day is another story.. Good luck! Seabiscuit is adorable!

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Or, here's another idea - take her out right before going to bed, set the alarm and take her out the same time every night - sometime in the middle (or 2x but same every night) - and then first thing in the morning. When she gets older, you can stretch the time until she's sleeping through the night. Duke's always been a super sleeper & we never crated him to potty train - just for him to have a "safe place" to go.

When we were potty training Duke he was never allowed in the house more than 2 hours during the day before we'd let him out and tell him to go potty. Now, that is an issue because people think we're nuts telling our dog to go potty in rest areas, etc., but it works! But we could/can do that because we work out of our home.

PS, she's a doll!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys, alot of great advice....some quick advice too we could apply even last night....she wanted out twice through the night and she 'performed' each time which was good.

The third time she cried...we were pretty sure it was more out of loneliness...we have read about keeping the crate in the bedroom so she could see us, but we havent been doing this, she has been in another room with all the doors open so we can still hear her..so this morning, when she cried for the third time, I went through to the other room with a duvet and slept so she could see me, and didnt hear a single peep from her at all!

So today, we have moved her crate into our bedroom, hoping that with her being able to see us and knowing her 'pack' are closeby, then she will get more comfortable with her cage...is this sounding like a good plan? :D

Thanks again for all your advice and compliments, keep both coming lol, we love to hear peoples hints and tips so we can learn.

And even the vet loved her name too. :D

Danny and Isla

ps) this is how she is lying right now whilt I'm typing this

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
She is a little sweetheart.
I have never had a puppy always older dogs but if i cry in the night i always get up to let them out and they have the run of the house so if they need to go out they come and wake us up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts