·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this boy on petfinder just now.
Monroeville Pa

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15650738

More About Dewie

Hi, my name is Dewie and I am a Golden Retriever about 18 months - 2 years old. I am a big, strong boy so I would need a home with some room to move around in. I would benefit from obedience classes. I am very active---definitely not a couch potato! Do you have room in your heart and home for a big guy like me. For more info on me, please contact Sue at 412-389-2480 or 412-372-1305 or [email protected]

Will try to make some calls in the morning about Dewie.....

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He is gorgeous!! Reminds me of my last foster Copper.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just spoke with Sue at this shelter, this is a kill shelter, they are not full yet but she wants to get this boy in a rescue asap. He came from another kill shelter where his hold time was up, they transfered him to try to buy him some more time.... They did conact WAGS, they are full :(

Monroeville, Pa is near Pittsburgh.. Please, if you have rescue contacts in that area could you let them know about Dewey?

He is about 2yrs old, intact, no training. getting stressed in the shelter.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
OMG....he's stunning!!! I hope someone can save him!!!! Can't imagine someone allowing him to get there in the first place.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I can't afford to take him in nor am I home enough to watch over an untrained dog. I can however, help transport him if he needs to pass my way to get to another golden rescue.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I emailed the Central PA GR Rescue and the Retriever Rescue in Plum. I hope they're able to get him into their program! I'll let you know if I hear anything.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
My email was returned from the Central GR Rescue basically getting denied. "Try Wags and Pittsburgh, they're closer." I offered to drive him to Altoona, too. The one they suggested was WAGS which evidently is full and I haven't heard back from the Southwest Retriever Rescue. So- it looks like we still need to help this boy. I would try the GR Club of Pgh, but their website is down. Anyone have any other ideas?? This is when our "transport" club would come in handy... if we had a destination!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
My email was returned from the Central GR Rescue basically getting denied. "Try Wags and Pittsburgh, they're closer." I offered to drive him to Altoona, too. The one they suggested was WAGS which evidently is full and I haven't heard back from the Southwest Retriever Rescue. So- it looks like we still need to help this boy. I would try the GR Club of Pgh, but their website is down. Anyone have any other ideas?? This is when our "transport" club would come in handy... if we had a destination!!

Look at transport poll under polls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi. If he doesn't have to go to a rescue before being adopted, we're still looking to add a golden boy to our family. We're in Albany, NY and would be more than happy to drive down to meet someone who can rescue him from the shelter. (If I knew for sure he'd be there, we'd make the drive all the way down to the shelter - I'd just hate to drive that far and find out that he wasn't there anymore).

Just an option if this kind of non-rescue adoption is possible. Thanks. Debbie***

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi. If he doesn't have to go to a rescue before being adopted, we're still looking to add a golden boy to our family. We're in Albany, NY and would be more than happy to drive down to meet someone who can rescue him from the shelter. (If I knew for sure he'd be there, we'd make the drive all the way down to the shelter - I'd just hate to drive that far and find out that he wasn't there anymore).

Just an option if this kind of non-rescue adoption is possible. Thanks. Debbie***

Try calling Sue at the shelter!! Her cell # is listed on the petfinder page.

They see people by appointment only so I doubt that he would be gone without you knowing it...

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh I so hope this works out. He's a gorgeous boy, and the thought of him being stressed in a shelter breaks my heart.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
That would be wonderful if you'd be able to take him. If someone in the Monroeville area could bring him a bit more north to Cranberry, I would drive him to Erie....and maybe someone in NE PA could do a little more... on 79N

I got a reply from SPARRO in Plum, PA. They're going to inquire about him. So, I'd definitely call the shelter tomorrow and check on his status.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope good things happen today for Dewey.
I'll call the shelter this afternoon to see if there is any good news :crossfing:crossfing

·
Registered
42 Posts
Will be keeping an eye on this post. I'm an hour South of Harrisburg don't know if I could be of any help but if I can certainly will. Also, I will speak to the owner of the shelter @ which I volunteer to see if we could take him in (maybe someone from our shelter could foster). I am headed to Long Island on Thursday morning. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Will be keeping an eye on this post. I'm an hour South of Harrisburg don't know if I could be of any help but if I can certainly will. Also, I will speak to the owner of the shelter @ which I volunteer to see if we could take him in (maybe someone from our shelter could foster). I am headed to Long Island on Thursday morning. [email protected]
It sounds like this just might be meant to be for Debbie and her family! I think good things are in the future for Dewie: rescue or a home in NY! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi. I heard from Sue and she said that he "likes to put his paws on your shoulders" which I know I can work with him on, but the part that concerns me when I asked her if he was tested with cats was "The other day, one of the 25# dogs bumped into him and he grabbed him around the neck, did not hurt him but I do not know how he would be around cats."

Even more than the "cat' issue, I'm a little worried about the grabbing around the neck thing...

I realize he's in the shelter and stressed, and that he hasn't been neutered but... for those of you who've been there, done that... and knowing that we have a cat and my son who is 10... I'd really like to hear your thoughts as to whether I'd be doing more harm than good in trying to adopt Dewie...

Thanks! Debbie***

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
The paws on the shoulder thing is "nothing" IMO, surely there must be cats at the shelter that they can expose him to safely and see how he reacts. I am in Erie if that helps and am VERY familiar with transports to upstate NY and further north if you do decide to adopt him. Have all kinds of contacts to help get him to you.
Kathi
email me if you need me as I am not on this forum on a regular basis
([email protected])

1 - 20 of 33 Posts