Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in Florida and therefore need to make sure we maintain flea and tick prevention pretty much year round. I have been using Nexguard for a number of years and just read where it has been the cause of seizures in some canines. I realize that some products have side effects, but I am starting to wonder if I should be switching to an alternative method to do this. I am researching but I know that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site and I am reaching out if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have also reached out to my vet, as I trust her to help me figure this out as well...

Thank you, in advance, for your time and help.

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
We also use Nexguard without any issues. We live in Vermont, so very tick heavy area in the warm months. My understanding is that if you have been using the product with no side effects you are probably in the clear. Of course anything can happen but almost all other flea and tick meds have the same side effect warnings. My vet recommends Nexguard and revolution to most of the patients here.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
  • I also use Nexguard with no problems. I think some breeds are more predisposed to having seizures on Nexguard but I don't think that Golden Retrievers are. It is also a big concern for dogs who have any pre-existing seizure disorders

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone for your time and responses. I am glad to hear! My vet is also recommending that we stay with Nexguard, so it looks as though everyone is in agreement. I appreciate the opportunity for discussion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are possible side effects to all medications. I use NexGuard and have had no issues. Used to use Frontline but it is no longer effective for more than a week or two at most, no idea why. I know quite a few people that use Seresto collars, I had a little dog that hated taking NexGuard, with a Seresto Collar he never had a tick.

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
Yes seresto collars also work very well. My parents dogs always used them and never had fleas or ticks. We opted to go with Nexguard because Denver swims like crazy in the warm months, and my vet said this can make them less effective. Additionally, we didn’t love the idea of him wearing a collar 24/7 and breaking his coat/potentially getting snagged on something.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
I also use Nexgard, my guy so far has not had any problems with it.

Topicals do not work in my area nor does the Seresto collar-I've tried several topcials.
I never give HW meds or Nexgard on the same day, I space them out about two weeks apart and I have always done it year round.

Any medication you use on or give your dog has potential for risks or side effects. I have been lucky so far and none of my guys have had any problems. I also only give the meds when I know I will be home all day just in case there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Topicals do not work in my area nor does the Seresto collar-I've tried several topcials.
I never give HW meds or Nexgard on the same day, I space them out about two weeks apart and I have always done it year round.

Any medication you use on or give your dog has potential for risks or side effects. I have been lucky so far and none of my guys have had any problems. I also only give the meds when I know I will be home all day just in case there is a problem.
I do that also -- space them out -- one on the first day of the month and the other on the 15th.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you. I never thought about spacing them out, but that is a great idea. I appreiate the suggestions, recommendations, and help!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use nexguard as well. I have been using Heartguard for heart worms, but have heard some say their dogs have gotten heart worms on that. I’m not sure if I should switch or not...

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
I use nexguard as well. I have been using Heartguard for heart worms, but have heard some say their dogs have gotten heart worms on that. I’m not sure if I should switch or not...
I use Heartgard Plus, I give it monthly to my guys year round.
I have used it for over 15 years or longer, never had any problems with it and none of my dogs have ever tested positive.

Talk to your Vet, some HW preventatives work better in certain areas just as Flea/tick medication.
A lot of it depends on the weather in your area, your Vet will know the statistics for HW cases that have been reported in your area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts