Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Newsgroups: Keep it or get rid of it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, this poll is to find out if you are happy or not with newsgroups integrated to this forum.

Please vote and leave messages.

Depending on the result I will either keep these newsgroups or get rid of them.

PS. Newsgroups are the last 6 topics on the main page, where new threads are taken from usenet newsgroups and are not posted by registered members of goldenretrieverforum.com

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please everyone who voted, let me know why you voted as you did.
I've got two private messages which were strongly against it, so I created this poll, just because I want to listen to members of this forum and decide based on the general opinion.
So if most of you decide against it, I will delete the newsgroup threads without any regrets.
Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Against.

It might be better to have a pinned topic saying "oh hey, newsgroups are a great resource. You can find them at (link to Google Groups) if you're interested". As it is, I think they clutter, and are filled more with unsolicited "information" and "advice" than the forums, which seem to be filled with nice people and real opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Advantage of having them is more of a technical issue as search engines are adding bigger relevancy to those sites with lot of information and content.
So to have lot of posts will result in pushing our site to the top in Yahoo, Msn or Google searches.
That brings more people interested in sites like this to our website, creates bigger community and so...
This wouldn't be a problem, as I know we would eventually get there ourselfs, you are all great guys, but advertising cost for Golden Retriever Forum is right now approx. 600$/month and this is very hard to affors, so newsgroup integration is one of the ways out to cut this expenses out.
It might not be necessary in the future, but in the site's beginnings it would help very much. I hope you guys understand.
Joe

·
Registered
414 Posts
I voted to keep it, but people should know that the newsgroups will have various opinions, a lot of which I personally don't agree with. They are a source of information, but always consider your sources when on line.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timberwolfe, I completely agree with you, newsgroups would be just the bottom part of this site and should affect anyone. If you don't want to visit it, just don't click on it.
Sometimes there are really good posts to read, sometimes, not. It's all matter of opinion I guess.
Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Joe, I understand your reasoning for wanting to keep these news groups....money, is always the "bottom line"!!.....

Maybe I don't like it is because when I come onto this site the first thing I do is click on the New Posts ....and the news groups over run the "Site Members".....I have a difficult time weeding through alot of the so-called "informational news groups" (which in what I have read so far, are pretty rude and vulger and very opinionated) I never seem to know who is "one of us" and who is not:doh: ...so I end up spending alot of valuable time "clicking" on the stuff I don't want to read.

I guess I could just go to the main forum page and click on the topics that show that they have a new post!!

I just hope you don't lose as many members as you attract because of the clutter.....the other golden retriever sites I'm on, do not allow news groups. But also you might gain more then you lose????:crossfing So I guess the finally decision will be yours!:( :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah you're right, the part where it mixes up with new post posted by our members is very confusing. I understand that too.
Well, we'll see. I'll let this poll running for two weeks and depending on the result I will either keep it or cancel it.
Regarding: "money, is always the "bottom line"!!.....", well when $600 a month is significant part of your income (which would almost cover my rent) it pretty much comes to it, believe me :)
Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi everyone.

I must agree with the majority in this case. I do find the newsgroups to be confusing. When I was on the website on the weekend, I didn't realize what was going on and thought that this site had been overrun with "trolls". Now that I realize that it's just all the newsgroups, I guess I can live with it, but I'd rather not.

I guess it's your decision Joe. I'm just giving you my 2 cents!

Toodles,
Bonni

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"and thought that this site had been overrun with "trolls". " haha... that's funny... well we'll see. As I mentioned it's not such a big trouble to get rid of them. It's just that it would help to keep them. That's all.
Joe

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Joe: I don't like them....I found the ones I read to be vulgar and crude so I will just NOT click on them.. If you need them to build this site, then by all means do what has to be done. I have a choice and I like that.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder guys. If I rewrote the script so these newsgroups would not be a part of "New Posts" list, would that solve major problem you are experiencing with it?
That way these newsgroups would be a bottom part of the website, but unless you clicked on them you would never even know about them.
Joe

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello Joe,I have voted against them,BUT if you need them to help keep this forum up,Please change my vote.

"I wonder guys. If I rewrote the script so these newsgroups would not be a part of "New Posts" list, would that solve major problem you are experiencing with it?
That way these newsgroups would be a bottom part of the website, but unless you clicked on them you would never even know about them.
Joe"
I think this is a good idea,it would up the posting numbers and not offend those of us who not interested in that garbage.
Shane

·
Registered
31 Posts
"I wonder guys. If I rewrote the script so these newsgroups would not be a part of "New Posts" list, would that solve major problem you are experiencing with it?
Joe"
I think this is a good idea,it would up the posting numbers and not offend those of us who not interested in that garbage.
Shane[/QUOTE]

:dblthumb2 Yes! Joe that would work for me.....that was my only "gripe " was them being mixed in with our " New Post" page!!!:You_Rock_I was going to suggested that but I didn't know if it was "doable"!!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Great, so I would look into that. It shouldn't be all that hard to do, I hope.
Well, that would be the best I guess.
Joe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts