Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I had our baby girl 4 weeks earlier and she has now been with us for 3 weeks. We gated off the kitchen so that we could be with our daughter in the living room and Chupie would not get to her [he is currently 5 1/2 months], at least at the beginning. We have let him sniff some of her clothes and he does really well. In fact, when we walk to the kitchen with her in our arms, he really settles down, almost as if he knew that she is fragile and he can't just be all energetic with her.

We have started letting him come into the living room with us on a leash (for control purposes) and sometimes off-leash by gating her swing/rock-n-sleeper off so he can't get to her and he seems to do well.

This past weekend we drove 2.5 hours to my wife's family and both of them on the back (as well as myself) and he did very well.

Just wanted to share our experience with those of you who are expecting, and maybe collect some more tips/recommendations from others who have had puppies and babies at the same time

Attachments

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Oh my goodness...cuteness overload. Thank you so much for sharing the right way to blend the family.

I think you are being an absolutely fantastic parent to both. Golden do love kids and puppies can be unpredictable...the close supervision is a must.

Keep the pictures coming. I love the last one...can't decide which 'puppy' is cuter. ;-)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well bless their little hearts. I will follow this thread closly as we are expecting our second grandchild in Feb. For the first one it was not an issue because they were living in Japan, but this time we will be full time grandparents with a 4 year old and newborn living with us for a couple months:) I think Roxy will be great but I like your gate ideas. What thoughtful wonderful parents you are.I look forward:D to more pictures.

Reactions: MrVivas

·
Registered
116 Posts
I posted in another thread about my now 11 month old daughter and 9 month old puppy. Zoey is very good after she calms down. The only issue we have is that she gets carried away and wants to lick too much. I always monitor the two of them together and seperate when Zoey is being a little to much for our daughter. It's at the point now where Zoey knows if I stand up that she needs to calm down and she immediately reacts without me saying anything.

I posted this picture today, something you have to look forward to.

As you can see, my daughter loves her puppy!

Here is another cute one from several months ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts