Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Trillian is home!
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Very glad to have found this forum.

My wife and I lost our last dog (a chocolate lab) suddenly about 8 years ago. At the time, we had an 18 month son and another on the way - which was way too hectic of a time to consider bringing another dog back into our lives. Now the boys are older and happily, we're ready to add another member to our family.

I've always liked the Golden's appearance and temperament but have some questions and concerns I was hopping you could help me with. So - if you folks would take a few minutes to teach a newbie a little about the breed, or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate your time.

I get the part about the 4 types of clearances and know to check for that.

1) When I had a lab, I was told that one of the differences between an English breed and an American was the English, as a retriever was lower to the ground, had a fuller neck and more of a bear face so it could get low and through the bush to as apposed to the American - Taller, longer nose and neck. Is this true of Golden's as well?

2) as I live in Central Florida (Orlando area) the summers here are pretty hot. With their long hair, how does a golden handle the heat?

3) I've always had a preference for blondes (lol) so the lighter coloring is a preference, but not a requirement. If I was talking to a breeder, what would I ask them if I wanted to find a lighter colored puppy?

4) Finally, where can I find a list of qualified breeders around Central Florida?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yes, any breeder you go with please make sure you see all 4 clearances of both parents. And preferably 4 to 5 generations past that. Color is a preference. I would not say that American vs. english are any lower to the ground. What are you looking for as far as dog? Doing any activities (hunt, agility, obedience, companion)? Would you like more conformation/show lines or field lines? There are a ton of great breeders in Florida, but also some non-reputable ones too!

I know my breeder (my dog's breeder), has 2 litters coming up. (Lakewood goldens in Melbourne). Also: Gemini goldens (www.barkingham.com- she just had a litter) that is Candi Pearce. Majik goldens and sandspur goldens are also good.

Reactions: Stretchdrive

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
First decide exactly what you want in a puppy. Do you want it for a pet, show, or performance? Do you want a puppy or adult? Does it matter if it is male or female? What temperment are you looking for ect? Obviously you have read a bit about clearances, so you will be checking into that as well.

Be prepared to answer questions about yourself, such as employment, housing, activity level, how much time a day you can devote to the dog, where will it be kept durning the day, who all lives in your house, is your yard fenced in ect.

Have you ever checked out K9Data? It is fun to look up dogs on there. Here is a link.

http://www.k9data.com/

Good Luck in finding your puppy! It may take a few months to a year, or more, but it is well worth the wait:)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
for the uninitiated the biggest difference between english and american dogs will be head shape which the english dogs head shape being a bit boxier... eyes set more forward and coat type is a tad different... there are other differences but those won't matter for a pet puppy... fronts, rears etc... those won't matter for a pet pup. Generally you will probably find that English style dogs do tend to be lighter in color but can range from cream to medium gold like most goldens... the lighter color tends to be simply due to the fact that cream is an accepted color in the UK breed standard and seems to be in style there at the moment so many of the dogs being shown are cream and thus the imported dogs tend to be lighter thus producing lighter colored pups, not always true but that does seem to be the case. You can look at my website and see that Kaelyn is a medium gold and Emmett is close to her coloring at this point... Connie, Bing and Alex are all creams and Connor is a medium gold American style dog.... remember puppies get to be the color of their ears. Now that having been said even most of us who have english dogs do not breed for color. I know that I don't... color is the last thing I think about and in every litter you will have a variety of colors. In my last litter the same litter that my two pups Connie and Bing are from I have pups that are medium gold on the darker side.

If you are looking for an english style dog then you might start with the English Goldens in North America - Litters - Breeders - Stud Dogs
this is a listing of reputable breeders of that style... because the whole english thing has turned into a money maker for not reputable people you have to be exceedingly careful about who you get a dog from when you are looking for a lighter dog or english style....they are not rare or special in any way...they are not healthier or anything... it is just a preference and preferences are fine to have... if you like the lighter color and the style that is fine but they shouldn't cost you more... they are just goldens of a different style. The listing above is a good place to start for that style of dog.

I think that for hte most part there are less obvious differences than with labs... especially to the uninitiated.

If you take a look at my website link below you can see my dogs that are all of English style except for Connor who is an American style dog....

like the others have said be sure to have hips eyes heart and elbow clearances, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for someone to not have these clearances current and share with you the copies of the certifications... if they don't have the actual certificates saying they have been evaluated and cleared walk away.

good luck finding your dream pup
s

·
Trillian is home!
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your comments...
At this point, all we're looking for is a companion who will become another member of the family. I don't see us ever professionally showing the dog - but having the best looking dog in the neighborhood wouldn't be such a bad thing. :D

Stretch - I understand what you mean about making sure our home environment is ready for a dog - and I think we are.

I know of Magik through some friends but had forgotten that name. Good to hear they have a good rep. I'll look at the rest.

Any thoughts on the heat question come summer time?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thanks all for your comments...
At this point, all we're looking for is a companion who will become another member of the family. I don't see us ever professionally showing the dog - but having the best looking dog in the neighborhood wouldn't be such a bad thing. :D

Stretch - I understand what you mean about making sure our home environment is ready for a dog - and I think we are.

I know of Magik through some friends but had forgotten that name. Good to hear they have a good rep. I'll look at the rest.

Any thoughts on the heat question come summer time?
heat should not be a problem .... I wouldn't leave your pup outside in the summer for very long but you shouldn't do that no matter where you live.... my sister lives down in south florida and most often folks are pretty well air conditioned down there... using common sense would be good and never never never shave your golden.... the outer guard hair protects from the heat and reflects the sun... when you shave that off you shave the protective part and actually leave the hot undercoat which makes your pup more susceptible to heat stroke... so no matter what anyone tells you or what other people do never shave your pup and you should be fine.

·
Trillian is home!
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know that as long as we manage it, the heat won't be an issue.

one last thought - what is a fair rate to pay for a companion puppy now? I have no idea what the market is.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
That is a list of questions that the breeders will be asking you about yourself. It may seem a bit intimidating at first, but breeders that care will ask you them.

Your kids are going to have so much fun!

·
the party's crashing us
4,280 Posts
Hi! I live in Gainesville. Assuming the dog is going to be an indoor pet you just have to use common sense with the heat. The three biggest things for managing the heat are #1 keep the dog at a good weight (NOT FAT), #2 do not exercise the dog in the heat of the day #3 never leave the dog in the car.
The breeders kfayard mentioned are very good. You can also check on the puppy referral page for Mid Florida Golden Retriever Club
Let me know if you need more help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts